CS #38 - "Celebrate"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by sommer, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 'Tis the season to celebrate!

~Birthdays, anniversaries, graduations...
    ~End-of-school-year potlucks, picnics and breakaway days...
    ~Dance recitals, sports playoffs, theatre productions...
    ~Vacations, job promotions...
    ~Peaceful retreats, favorite spots to be still and reflect and celebrate the soul

Show us how you're celebrating right now, this coming weekend...or even last week, or last month, or last year. It doesn't matter when you took the photo, just show us some happiness, joy and celebration. This is more a collective sharing than it is a collective shoot...so everyone can join in, even if you're celebration-free this particular weekend!

Post your photos starting now and continuing through the end of the day on Tuesday, June 12. Go with your own time zone for this. Feel free to post more than one shot, but try to keep your sizes reasonable so as not to prohibit participation by those on dial-up. Share a few words describing your celebration...I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's happy times!

2. A few to start it off!

Here are a couple of my recent favorites to kick things off....

What's more fun than a pinata on your 8th birthday?!

[​IMG]

Last year's dance recital....A Dream is a Wish from Cinderella. Melissa was finally one of the older girls in the class rather than the younger, and she just shone (she's second from left.) Dance recitals are always celebrations for me, and I smile through my tears. I kissed this girl goodbye when she was 1.5 years old and in the PICU. When she pulled through, I kissed goodbye any dreams I had of her dancing on stage or running down a soccer field or doing any of the things that "normal" kids do. Luckily, she had a fighting spirit far stronger than her mom's. Today she does all of those things and more, and for most of the year I forget about her early struggles. It always hits me at recital time though...when she takes the stage, I'm grateful for the darkened auditorium, because I've finally given up trying to fight back the tears, lol! Dance recital, for me, is a celebration of strength and spirit.

[​IMG]

Just snapped these this afternoon. Happy 100th Birthday to my beautiful Victorian-inspired lady!! My home is my pride and joy, and it consumes more of my time and money than any other non-human in my life, lol! We are very lucky to be only the 3rd owners of this magnificent house in her 100 years, and we hope to be here for many years to come. (And one of these days I'll straighten the verticals on these photos, lol! We'd be in a heap of trouble if the house were really leaning like that!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Great pictures and commentary, Sommer. To see Melissa now, you'd never know she had serious health problems as a toddler. Love the second picture-she makes a lovely ballerina.

Your house is beautiful, too!

4. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Graduation

I remember not even 6 years ago it was common to throw your caps at the end of graduation, boy has times changed. This photo is from the University Of Georgia graduation, only a third of the graduating class celebrated by tossing their caps.

[​IMG]

5. It is funny how things change, isn't it. I think I missed out on my only cap-throwing opportunity. In high school, we weren't allowed to do it. In college I opted out of the big university graduation ceremony, where everyone did the cap-throw, and attended only my school's ceremony (College of Pharmacy.) The ceremony was very dignified and proper (aka stuffy and boring.) I'm not sure anyone even cracked a smile, let alone tossed a cap :wink:!

Thanks for sharing your photo! I love graduations and the promise of new beginnings.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    3 2 1 We Have Lift Off ..Edit update

Can't think of a better way to celebrate than the successful Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis.

321 AND WE HAVE LIFTOFF OF ATLANITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YES.........
    ...........................GO ATLANTIS.................

We had a bal. Mike Mac, Harry B, Robin, Nancy (flygirl) her husband Patrick
    and me.
    A wonderful time was had by all.
    We laughed, we ate, we drank and chimped like heck:>))))))))

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007

7. Gale, that is so fabulous!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. My husband and daughter would like nothing more than to see a shuttle launch. I hope that some day we can arrange a trip down that way that would allow us to see one. They watched this one online and reported back all of the details to me! I'd love to see some more photos of it (and of those Cafe members who enjoyed it with you!!)

8. Here on La Palma, one of the things we like most is carnival, especially the day of the 'Indianos', where we celebrate the poor Palmerian emigrants returning rich from Cuba, sporting big Havannas and carrying boxes full of money. They are greeted with loads of talcum powder. The series below are pics my son took this year.

[​IMG]

Here are the boys prepared for the battle (my son is the one on the left)...
    [​IMG]

Enter the girls...
    [​IMG]

When human enthusiasm is dwindling a talcum powder canon takes over...
    [​IMG]

Afterwards...
    [​IMG]

9. What A Celebrate DAY

Our Fri./Sat was a grand slam of celebrations!

1st we had a new robin on our porch celebrating with a big new CHIRP!!
    [​IMG]
    (I really love this guy's "rockhopper penguin" hair-do)

Next we flew patients from Craig (spine & brain) Rehab hospital for their "Rite of Flight" graduation from certain steps in their rehab. This is a very special part of the program which has been happening for over 20 yrs.!!!
    [​IMG]

Our "spinal" patient -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another ascension in "Pondemonium" -
    [​IMG]

A group shot of our passengers of the morning -
    [​IMG]

Next - on to a special celebration of a recent wedding of one of our special balloon crew people -
    [​IMG]

And lastly off to a celebration of a whole 27 hours of retirement (a dear friend teacher) which was held at the Wild Animal Sanctuary near Hudson, Co.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sommer - you picked a WONDERFUL theme for this time of year. Thanks for all your effort-

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what great images

11. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    This weekend, Vera and I quietly celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary. This peaceful scene in the pasture behind our house reminded me this morning of that happy summer day 46 years ago.

[​IMG]

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Happy Anniversary Bob and Vera
    Beautiful picture.
    Oh how peaceful that looks

13. Just a mini-reunion of the clan. Planning a full bore reunion in 2009.

[​IMG]

14. Josh celebrating his 7th b-day this year! He was dressed as Capt Jack Sparrow. On the same weekend, he was baptized, AND IT WAS MOTHER'S DAY!
    495392987_b29798b786_b.

15. Sabina, that looks like so much fun...I've never heard of that celebration before. Your son's photos are wonderful...I really like the last one!

16. Don, thanks so much for participating! Your celebrations brought a smile to my face...such a full weekend of joy! Those are ones that leave you smiling for days afterward, and your photos really captured the mood.

17. Happy anniversary, Bob and Vera! Wow, 46 years...certainly reason to celebrate. You're fortunate to live in such a peaceful spot. As much as I love living in the city, there's rarely peace to be found here! Thanks for sharing your special day with us :smile:.

Larry, you must have one large clan, lol! That mini-reunion is the size of my clan's full turnout! Thanks for sharing!!

Dianne, I love weekends like that, just full of joy! That looks like a yummy dessert...now I'm hungry! I didn't realize Josh was turning 7 already...time flies!

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Here is another one for you Sommer...

Still have quite a few left to finish. Finally waded through the raw files.
    Then they have to go to PS:>))))

19. Hi Sommer -

What a great idea for a collective shoot!

Since I had the opportunity to get out with two friends and take photos on Saturday, that made it a "celebration" weekend for me.

Because I posted those shots in the Landscapes and Architecture forum, I shouldn't duplicate them here, so . . .

Only because you allowed ancient shots, here is a contribution that is just too easy from July 4, 2006:

62970151.original.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. - The story, accomplishments and photos of your daughter are super and insipring.

20. I did not get to shoot much lately, since I have been pretty busy with all kinds of things.
    Yesterday we celebrated a great family day. Here is a quick shot I took of my wife Anne as she took a bit of a break in the sun from a busy day.

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 105mm f/2.5
    original.