CS #391 - Favorite places near home

There is a cool little covered bridge just north of me called Poole's Mill Covered Bridge in Ball Ground, GA.

Here a couple of different shots from this past weekend:

14142573476_bb76d0073d_z.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14185828243_1c21a4c6b2_z.jpg
Great shots Grant! The way you framed this last shot is spectacular! :)

Nothing easier than shooting tame and captive birds :) This one was about 5 feet away.

Cactus.jpg

Bird3.jpg
West, the "hair" on that cactus couldn't have been done any better! Nice job! :)

I visited one of my favorite local places today: the Falls Ridge Nature Conservancy property. I'm a volunteer trail monitor there, and it was my duty to walk the trails today. It's always a pleasure.

I can't describe it any better than the Conservancy page: "Part of a steep, rugged ridge that rises from the valley of the North Fork of the Roanoke River, Falls Ridge Preserve boasts a spring-fed travertine waterfall approximately 80 feet in height. Salem Fault runs through the preserve, dividing it into two different rock types-Precambrian limestone and shale/sandstone. The corresponding difference in soil types generates a diversity of vegetation, particularly wildflowers and smaller flora."

_D719044-XL.jpg

_D719008-XL.jpg

There were lots of wildflowers blooming today, including delphinium, spiderwort, columbine, wild phlox, a few fading trillium, and pink lady's slippers:

_D719017-XL.jpg
Jim, I can almost hear the water running down on those rocks. :)

My favorite place near home is, um, home! I like to go there because, well, I’m already there. With a macro lens there is always something interesting to shoot, especially after it rains.

Iris and bridal wreath spiraea.

p103307670-4.jpg

p264772230-4.jpg
Bruce, excellent work on the color and detail of the water droplets on that first one! :)

I wasn't sure if I would get a chance to make an image for this week, but as luck would have it, I did. Conditions were not that great, but sometimes we have to shoot what we can when we can. Our town has a very nice bicycle trail that is 5 miles long, with parts of it on the banks of French Creek. It is a lovely, peaceful place and my wife and I enjoy going there to walk or to ride our bicycles. These shots really don't do the place justice; with the late spring things still look a bit bleak and the overcast early evening conditions made the creek look brown and dull. Still, I wanted to get something in here.

p862663598-5.jpg

p756431288-5.jpg
Fred, these make me wanna go buy me a bicycle. Beautiful place! :)

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if I would get a chance to make an image for this week, but as luck would have it, I did. Conditions were not that great, but sometimes we have to shoot what we can when we can. Our town has a very nice bicycle trail that is 5 miles long, with parts of it on the banks of French Creek. It is a lovely, peaceful place and my wife and I enjoy going there to walk or to ride our bicycles. These shots really don't do the place justice; with the late spring things still look a bit bleak and the overcast early evening conditions made the creek look brown and dull. Still, I wanted to get something in here.

p862663598-5.jpg

p756431288-5.jpg

Nice place Fred!. Looks like it would be great to ride around.

Paul, looks like you've really got it fixed up just like a theater. Does it smell like popcorn? That's what I always think of when I think of movie theaters. Very nice set! :)

Thanks! Yes, I have a table top pop corn popper that looks like a miniture of one of those red pop corn carts. I;d show a shot, but I'm away on travel now.

Today I returned to Falls Ridge Nature Preserve (see post #51). My wife went along today.

The area was the scene of a limestone mine for many years, and the old lime kiln remains:

_D719042-X2.jpg

Today we saw quite a few wildflowers, including spiderwort...

_D719013-XL.jpg

and a vine called "Pipevine", which has a very unusual blossom...

_D719136-XL.jpg

Today I returned to Falls Ridge Nature Preserve (see post #51). My wife went along today.

The area was the scene of a limestone mine for many years, and the old lime kiln remains:

_D719042-X2.jpg

Today we saw quite a few wildflowers, including spiderwort...

_D719013-XL.jpg

and a vine called "Pipevine", which has a very unusual blossom...

_D719136-XL.jpg
Nice set Jim! Thanks for hosting the CS! I wish I was home this week to participate more.

Jim, it's been a beautiful theme! Thanks so much for hosting us this past CS! And thanks to everyone who participated in any way. You've all been GREAT!
:):)
And now, if everyone will step this way,
Patti has #392 Sound and Silence" up and running.

:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom