CS #392 - Sound and Silence

Though having grown up and worked in the SF Bay area most of my life,
some claim that I still have a Mid-Western accent from my birthplace of Illinois.

So I hope my attempt at describing this CS is not muddied by any lingering accent:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ROCKS!!!
Ed!! Super contribution! EXTREME ORIGINAL!! :)

I went out after supper hoping to find a “crescendo of flowers”. No such luck, but I thought this patch of wild phlox along the edge of one field might already be loud enough.

LOVE the ASL! Really cool representation of this theme! :) (I got a little confused because it was numbers; I'm better at reading the letters in fingerspelling! Took me a while...... LOL!) In the meantime, I have an idea for something to shoot for this week's challenge, but just haven't gotten my act together yet to produce the image!

Some nice stuff here so far.....

Probably going to be quite busy this weekend so let me "bulk" up the forum with this shot taken yesterday.
Was cleaning out the storage and decided to get rid of the unused sound gear.

This is the back of "Woofums" our old subwoofer. she has a loud bassy voice

As the butterfly softly beats its wings.

Welcome!
Well done Sam.
Thanks y'all! :)
Probably going to be quite busy this weekend so let me "bulk" up the forum with this shot taken yesterday.

Ed, she's a real beauty!! I'm sure she has sang many lovely songs and told you an untold number of secrets in her time too. ;)

I went out after supper hoping to find a “crescendo of flowers”. No such luck, but I thought this patch of wild phlox along the edge of one field might already be loud enough.

Bob, tis a beautiful place you've captured here. Brings to mind some of my favorite meadows and fields we have around here.

untitled-4355 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

This is a good friend of mine. Born deaf in one ear, she has lost much of her hearing in the other. This image is a perfect representation of her and of the theme sound and silence. In her words, the lack of color and the flat gray tone of the image represents how the world sounds to her.... Lifeless and dull, everything jumbled together, no distinction...... gray and flat.

In my words, her eyes say everything she thinks. Since hearing is not her strong point, what she sees is her strongest sense. She takes in the world through her eyes, but her eyes are very expressive as well. By selectively coloring them, to me it shows the sounds of her life and the impact they have. Her eyes sparkle when she smiles and are a true window to her soul. When she is angry, you know it. when she is sad, it is perfectly clear, her eyes are the sounds of her life. To me, this image is a perfect representation of her in every way.... sound and silence

Last edited:
True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)

I do hope you're not experiencing the silence that results from noise exposure hearing loss listening to this loud lady without ear protection, Ed. ;-)

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)

This is a good friend of mine. Born deaf in one ear, she has lost much of her hearing in the other. This image is a perfect representation of her and of the theme sound and silence. In her words, the lack of color and the flat gray tone of the image represents how the world sounds to her.... Lifeless and dull, everything jumbled together, no distinction...... gray and flat.

In my words, her eyes say everything she thinks. Since hearing is not her strong point, what she sees is her strongest sense. She takes in the world through her eyes, but her eyes are very expressive as well. By selectively coloring them, to me it shows the sounds of her life and the impact they have. Her eyes sparkle when she smiles and are a true window to her soul. When she is angry, you know it. when she is sad, it is perfectly clear, her eyes are the sounds oif her lice. To me, this image is a perfect representation of her in every way.... sound and silence
Well done with your interpretation of the theme! Visual cues become so very important when the auditory system is compromised. You've illustrated that beautifully. One of my favourite quotes comes from Helen Keller who said "Blindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people".

Last edited:

In my words, her eyes say everything she thinks. Since hearing is not her strong point, what she sees is her strongest sense. She takes in the world through her eyes, but her eyes are very expressive as well. By selectively coloring them, to me it shows the sounds of her life and the impact they have. Her eyes sparkle when she smiles and are a true window to her soul. When she is angry, you know it. when she is sad, it is perfectly clear, her eyes are the sounds of her life. To me, this image is a perfect representation of her in every way.... sound and silence
Brandon,

Hands down - THIS is a bonafide grandslam!! (I'd get the ball for you except that NASA has already reported it leaving orbit.)

Welcome to Collective Shoot #392 (wow! can't believe the Cafe has done that many). I am happy to step up to the plate for an annual swing at hosting. Thinking it's going to be a baseball theme? No. May is Speech & Hearing Month so to celebrate it (audiologist by day, photographer by night and weekends) our theme this week is Sound & Silence. You can take a swing at either or both of these concepts. Be as creative or as concrete as you like with your visual interpretation of sound and/or silence. For instance, silence might be interpreted visually with stillness in nature

and sound might be represented by a situation that's focused on the auditory experience or visually represent your favourite sound (you had to know I'd sneak Sting into this somehow)

The usual CS rules apply: photos must be taken within the dates of this shoot; CS392 begins at 12:01am Thurs. May 14th and ends at midnight Wed. May 21st; participate as often as you like but limit each post to 3 images; be respectful and keep content E for Everyone.

Sooooooooo go to it and dazzle me with your creativity!! Oh, and have some fun too.
Interesting theme! Both shots are great.

Though having grown up and worked in the SF Bay area most of my life,
some claim that I still have a Mid-Western accent from my birthplace of Illinois.

So I hope my attempt at describing this CS is not muddied by any lingering accent:

ROCKS!!!
Unique interpretation Ed!

Awe. You beat me to it... I was going to do the same thing. Nice shot Sam.

Nice subwoofer Ed!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom