CS #392 - Sound and Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Paul
14022310278_a28ccfafae_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
untitled-4355 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

This is a good friend of mine. Born deaf in one ear, she has lost much of her hearing in the other. This image is a perfect representation of her and of the theme sound and silence. In her words, the lack of color and the flat gray tone of the image represents how the world sounds to her.... Lifeless and dull, everything jumbled together, no distinction...... gray and flat.

In my words, her eyes say everything she thinks. Since hearing is not her strong point, what she sees is her strongest sense. She takes in the world through her eyes, but her eyes are very expressive as well. By selectively coloring them, to me it shows the sounds of her life and the impact they have. Her eyes sparkle when she smiles and are a true window to her soul. When she is angry, you know it. when she is sad, it is perfectly clear, her eyes are the sounds of her life. To me, this image is a perfect representation of her in every way.... sound and silence

Absolutely awesome shot and processing Brandon! Well done!

This is a good friend of mine. Born deaf in one ear, she has lost much of her hearing in the other. This image is a perfect representation of her and of the theme sound and silence. In her words, the lack of color and the flat gray tone of the image represents how the world sounds to her.... Lifeless and dull, everything jumbled together, no distinction...... gray and flat.

In my words, her eyes say everything she thinks. Since hearing is not her strong point, what she sees is her strongest sense. She takes in the world through her eyes, but her eyes are very expressive as well. By selectively coloring them, to me it shows the sounds of her life and the impact they have. Her eyes sparkle when she smiles and are a true window to her soul. When she is angry, you know it. when she is sad, it is perfectly clear, her eyes are the sounds of her life. To me, this image is a perfect representation of her in every way.... sound and silence
Brandon... A most excellent image here for the theme! The story you tell behind the scenes speaks mountains in the way of how sounds affect us... also how the absence of sound can affect us. Nice job! :)

There goes 'ole Ed

hdRDEgxYFaIi8cfXxnsfC3dJGR2nXGt9rnrTapc5QWs=w800-h600-no.jpg

Drumming up business
for the CS :D

Real Name
Paul
Here is a small, wireless, bluetooth speaker that I got last week as one of the pieces of swag from a conference/expo that I attended. Interesting name for a speaker/microphone...

cs-392-1696.jpg

In my home theater setup, there is quite a bit of "sound", with 7.1 channels. This baby produces the sound for five of the channels...
cs-392-1702.jpg

Real Name
Paul
For a twist on the theme...a local brewery (Red Hook) was giving out glasses advertising one of their beers...

cs-392-1704.jpg

Welcome to Collective Shoot #392 (wow! can't believe the Cafe has done that many). I am happy to step up to the plate for an annual swing at hosting. Thinking it's going to be a baseball theme? No. May is Speech & Hearing Month so to celebrate it (audiologist by day, photographer by night and weekends) our theme this week is Sound & Silence. You can take a swing at either or both of these concepts. Be as creative or as concrete as you like with your visual interpretation of sound and/or silence. For instance, silence might be interpreted visually with stillness in nature

and sound might be represented by a situation that's focused on the auditory experience or visually represent your favourite sound (you had to know I'd sneak Sting into this somehow)

The usual CS rules apply: photos must be taken within the dates of this shoot; CS392 begins at 12:01am Thurs. May 14th and ends at midnight Wed. May 21st; participate as often as you like but limit each post to 3 images; be respectful and keep content E for Everyone.

Sooooooooo go to it and dazzle me with your creativity!! Oh, and have some fun too.

Hey Patti! Great to see you back at the Café. And with a creative and important theme. And, yep . . . I'd hoped that you'd have a Sting image as one of your exemplars! ;)

At this time of year, planting of crops should be almost complete in this area. However, the weather has not been nice. May has been very wet -- ~3” of rain has fallen just since Sunday, and many of our fields have standing water. [The smears are from raindrops on my lens.]

DSC_5132sm.jpg

Consequently, our equipment remains silent while patiently awaiting sunshine.

DSC_5133sm.jpg

Hey Bob - At least around these parts, rain is quite welcome. Well, maybe not so much all at one time, but still . . . Nice "saturation" on both of these!

Last edited:
Though having grown up and worked in the SF Bay area most of my life,
some claim that I still have a Mid-Western accent from my birthplace of Illinois.

So I hope my attempt at describing this CS is not muddied by any lingering accent:

QQXSZg5Lx2sCRKK2bD_aRWdq54a1moMXnyS9Cl3EoRE=w300-h400-no.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

LMgZSeNpfqWfkQDuQg1WyPUZhDbN8FCNyVOfzk9W7NI=w300-h400-no.jpg

ROCKS!!!

Ed - Your customary humor and great eye for a creative interpretation comes through again. And, yeah - your "voice" does sound a bit Midlands flat!:D

Brandon - As others have said, this is so powerful, sensitive and well done, not to mention spot on for this CS. Just superb . . .

An auditory delight, the roar of the diesel engine, the click clack of the wheels, the ding, ding, ding of the gate and the train whistle:
DJH_4037-XL.jpg

For a twist on the theme...a local brewery (Red Hook) was giving out glasses advertising one of their beers...

cs-392-1704.jpg

Paul, Nice amp setup. Hope you don't get to hammered with the second one?

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I showed everyone the comments to my friend and she is kind of floored by the responses. She never lets me take her picture, and I just grabbed this one as quick as I could. Maybe now she will let me do more, she doesnt realize how beautiful she is inside and out.

Real Name
Paul
An auditory delight, the roar of the diesel engine, the click clack of the wheels, the ding, ding, ding of the gate and the train whistle:
DJH_4037-XL.jpg
Brings back memories of my home town. The shot brings to mind the sounds of trains. Nicely done.

Real Name
Paul
Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I showed everyone the comments to my friend and she is kind of floored by the responses. She never lets me take her picture, and I just grabbed this one as quick as I could. Maybe now she will let me do more, she doesnt realize how beautiful she is inside and out.

Beautiful indeed! Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom