CS #41 - "Getting Up Close and Personal"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Clix Pix, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Having celebrated summer, let's try something a little different for this CS....approach your subject(s) up close! While you CAN shoot with a macro lens, extension tubes, diopters, whatever, that is NOT necessary for this adventure. Many regular lenses will focus fairly closely and you'll be surprised with the results you can get with a non-macro lens. Actually, for all you macro shooters it could be a fun exercise putting away that macro gear and experimenting with your other lenses! The idea: shoot something close up.... Doesn't have to be a 1:1 ratio, doesn't have to be "macro," just reasonably close up....

Of course people, pets, plants, flowers, objects and whatever else you encounter at close distance will work nicely for this! Here's where you can show off your dog's sweet face or your cat's whiskers!

Time frame: beginning at 1:00 AM your local time on Friday, June 29th and running through 11:59 PM on Monday, July 2nd.... You have until Thursday, July 5th to submit images, as in the US July 4th is a national holiday.

No more than three images, please.... and also keep in mind the size of your image files out of consideration for those who are still using dialup to access the Cafe.

OK, start thinking about getting up close and personal.....

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Peace

Don’t know if this qualifies – I couldn’t get close enough at 70mm and I had to back off to 11 ft. to get what I wanted with the 300f/4.

[​IMG]

3. VERY nice, and indeed it qualifies! That's why I decided on this topic so that we could all discover how we can create close up images without necessarily having macro lenses and all that..... I've used my 300mm f/4 for close ups of flowers and been delighted and surprised. Yeah, focusing distance isn't easy with that lens! In the opposite direction I was really amazed at how closely the 18-55mm focuses and was surprised at the results it gives.

Thanks for sharing this nice image!

4. Great shot Bob!! cool topic Connie. My gear is all packed away and scattered over 2 locations so I may not get an image in but this should be a fun CS

5. Thanks, Dave! You're exonerated this time! I haven't shot my own image for this yet, either....there's still plenty of time left, though!

6. _Shea_

_Shea_ Guest

Do these work?? Maybe??

Katie. taken with the D40 standard equipment.

This is my doggie Katie... she is a Pom, Cocker Spaniel, Pickinese (sp?) mix, the loverly pound puppy and we had to "fight" a lady in a Pizza Hut uniform to get her lol.. She's 7 now and since we don't know her actual birthday.. we gave her mine :) I also have another dog, a Toy Poodle named Cocoa who, when I take pictures of him, looks like he's balding! So, none of him yet, until I figure out why it's doing that..

DSC_0164.
    taken with the D40 standard equipment.

A flower, that I fixed up in photoshoo CS2 since it came out underexposed or something.. I kinda like it though :) the detail is amazing! If anyone is interested I'll send them the picture in the original size.. If you look closely on the thing in the middle (not sure what it's called) you can see what looks like a spider webb strand.. I didn't even notice it while I was taking the picture. lol

All CC welcome and greatly appreciated! I'm really new at this. I may post another one later I haven't resized it yet, though.

thanks

7. Yes, indeed, Kelsey, they both work quite nicely for this Collective Shoot!! Look at that doggie's face...gosh, I can almost feel her breathing on me! The flower is very nice. Isn't it amazing how closely that 18-55mm lens focuses? First time I used it i was really surprised. It is an excellent little lens! Really picks up detail quite nicely.

Thanks for sharing these! :smile:

8. Probably the closest I can get.

original.

9. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Wow, Kelsey -- those eyes:cool:! Your flower proves Connie's point.

Gee Phil, couldn't you get that mite below the bird's eye:biggrin::biggrin:?

10. Wow, Phil!!! You can sure get really close -- with an 800mm lens!!! :biggrin:

That is pretty darned cool!

11. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
  12. Crunchy

Crunchy Guest

As I do not own a macro lens all of my close-up shots are done with my 70 - 210 zoom, so I am glad of the opportunity to compete (if that's the right word) on a level playing field. Thanks for the idea Connie.

This is a RAW image taken on the 29th. The weather has been real crappy here, but the sun showed it's head long enough for me to take this:

663924154_02d7e710bc_o.

I have another bee photo I would like submit but I need to upload it to net first. I do it tomorrow.

Question: Is there another way to post a photo in a thread or do you have to have the photo posted somewhere on the net?

13. Crunchy

Crunchy Guest

Super detail Torben. I think I prefer the first of the 2, beautiful photos

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Paul. I do too. That's probably my best shot from Saturday.

Love your flower and bee too.

15. Great shots, everyone!

Paul, the only way to post a photo is in fact to link it to a hosting site as you did above.

16. Close up with a new iPhone. Mittens, our cat.

[​IMG]

17. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Our cat Lizzy cooperated long enough for me to get this picture of her. I don't own a micro lens so I used the 18-135 kit lens.

686497333_32137b3141_b.

This is a a little scene on a railroad station I built in HO (1/87) scale.

687838234_a064b68c65_b.

And a lilly growing in the back yard

687838302_e3b6c0e724_b.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  18. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Rick, that cat shot is amazing. I'm getting hypnotized by those eyes.

Dave, you just won the cuteness award. I just want to reach out and pet that little nose. Great capture.

19. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    So your are selling all your Nikon stuff now that you have an iPhone. :biggrin: Cute cat.