CS #43 - "A Day in the Life ..."

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Minuteman3, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Back in the mid-80's there were a series of coffee table photo books based on the premise of "A Day In The Life Of ...". One was America, one the Soviet Union, one was the US Military, etc. The publishers challenged hundreds of professional photographers to capture images from midnight to midnight on one specific day to get a sense of what went on during a typical day.

So, let's update that concept to the 21st century!!

Announcing ... "A Day In The Life of the Nikon Café"!!

I have set aside one 24-hour period ... from noon (your local time) on Sunday, July 15 to noon Monday, July 16, to capture what we are doing. I would suggest submissions be limited to 4 images, and all must be taken during that 24-hour period. (Mind your file sizes!!)

I'll leave the exact subject matter up to each person, but I'd hope to really get a slice of life ... what you do for FUN, for WORK, at HOME, for FAMILY ... whatever ... during that "day"!! Both daytime and nighttime shots are welcome.

So, here's your assignment -> July 15 1200 NOON LOCAL TIME to July 16 1200 NOON LOCAL TIME is to capture ... "A Day in the Life ..."

OK .. let's go!! Remember, all shots should be taken from NOON on Sunday, July 15, to NOON Monday, July 16. (And mind those file sizes ..:smile:)

A few words or a cutline for each might be helpful as well!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  2. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Do It Yourself Project

This home improvement stuff really gets in the way of important things like photography and golf.
    Rule #1. Avoid getting that really sticky yellow glue on the camera and lens.
    Rule #2. Pretend you didn't hear when she mentions new furniture to match the new floors.
    David

[​IMG]

3. My Day

Started the day (Sunday) at Costco. Our son, Ryan, has been bugging us for a piano as he wants to learn. Yeah, but he's 8 ... so things change!! Before spending big bucks on a real piano (since neither of us plays), we decided to let him try an electronic one. So far, so good ...

p897822741-4.

The remainder of Sunday was spent polishing and waxing the car. I still struggle taking nice pix of the car (it's green metallic paint is a bear to capture nicely!), so I thought I'd try a little "still life." The car, the wax, the other equipment.

View attachment 105954

Monday morning dawned and I had to go to "work" ... my office. (It is sometimes nice not to have to get dressed up to go to work!! Of course, work this morning included capturing this image!! Nikon Camera Control Pro helped!!)

[​IMG]

But, at 10:30 I was able to take Ryan to Swim Team practice.

[​IMG]

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  4. My first collective shoot, here it goes...

My bride went to the movies with friends to see Harry Potter and the men stayed home and sunned by the pool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, it was nap time for one of us while I finished my DIY grid snoot from Strobist.

Mommy came home and it was time to test out the snoot. Sb-800, d200, 17-55mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Yesterday was a sunny and hot day, and it's nothing better than going to a nice restaurant near the beach to have a good brunch.

original.

The view from the restaurant window.

original.

Have a long nap at home after brunch. It's getting a bit cooler in the evening, and I went out to meet one of my best friends, who is now living in Australia and comes back for a short visit.

original.

Slept very well after the several glasses of scotch, unfortunately had to get up early for work. After a week of good weather, it started to rain this morning. This is taken on my way to work, with a cellphone camera.

original.

6. Really nice shots ... I love the second on the in pool!!

Cheers!!

Ken

7. Thanks Phil ... looks like a wonderful view at the restaurant. I was so busy with the car that I missed my nap!!:frown:

Cheers!!

Ken

8. David

Wonderful image. Hope you enjoy the new floor!!

Ken

9. Thanks Ken! How goes the piano lessons?

10. Phil

So far ... so good!!

Cheers!!

Ken

11. Sunday was a long day for me. It was the 4th and final chapter for in my Bengali Bride series... the civil ceremony and reception. The groom is from Tennessee, so the event was held on east coast time :rolleyes::wink:.

This assignment been a rare treat... a fascinating glimpse into another culture and religion. But the star of the show is the Bengali Bride, Farzana. She's beautiful, mercurial, and dramatic... and strong! I doubt a lesser person could have survived the range of emotions she visited on her wedding day.

Makeup and hair, and concerns about the important day ahead.

Standing at the alter, and a momentary tear...

View attachment 105960

It's done! No more fears, just the romance....

View attachment 105961

... and the joy of a wonderful day!

View attachment 105962

I spent the rest of Sunday and Monday through noon editing pictures for the bride's gallery.

12. Frank

That certainly looks like a fascinating day!! Thanks!!

Cheers!!

Ken

13. Sunday afternoon: my girls relax on the front porch
    original.

Sunday night: posting images from the day
    original.

Monday morning: a slow shutter speed makes it look like I'm burning more calories
    original.

Monday midday on one of our jobs: this will be someone's family room in a few months. They'll have a nice view.
    original.

14. Dave, great porch swing. Boy do I miss sitting on a porch swing in the summer months.

Phil, that's a pretty good shot from a cell phone. Which brand is that?

15. All wonderful series. I really enjoyed each and every one. Well done.

Mike

16. OK, I cheated a little. My 24 hours started and ended early, (all of these were in a 24 hour period) I didn’t wake up until a little before 3:00 on the 15th, I had just finished shooting two ten hour days of lawn mower racing, YES I said lawn mower racing. I have shot inside a house that was being burned for training, car fires, house fires, car accidents where cars go flying by, I’ve been on the side lines of high school lacrosse and semi pro football games. I even got to shoot an episode of Pinks from track side. But this was by far the most dangerous thing I have ever shot. The photographer with me got side swiped. With all that being said my day started just as I laid down for bed at a little after 3:00am when the call came across for a single vehicle accident.

[​IMG]
    It was up being a single vehicle rollover with an extraction and a fly out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I started my day getting up around 2:00pm and then a call came in for a multi vehicle accident. It ended up having a rollover, a fly out, and a DWI arrest.

[​IMG]
    As I was sitting home going over the 1,000+ photos from the past few days the call came out for a structure fire. It was a skeet shooting range fully involved and almost to the ground.

I don’t know how, but I haven’t picked up the camera yet today. But then again the day’s not over yet….

And was an average 24 hours, give or take a few days in between.

Lawn Mower Racing http://johndoug.smugmug.com/Sports/348748
    Three vehicle accident http://johndoug.smugmug.com/gallery/3154441
    Single vehicle accident http://johndoug.smugmug.com/gallery/3147652

17. John, that's a pretty strong first post! Great shots under tough conditions. Thanks for joining in the Collective Shoot, and welcome to the Cafe.

18. It's the Nokia N95.

19. Here is a shot of Johndoug in action at a Trooper 7 Flyout

[​IMG]

20. Jason, thanks for the pic of John. We're glad to have you here, too. :smile: