CS #44 - "Sky and Water"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by MParker, Jul 19, 2007.

1. As a predominantly outdoor shooter, I often find myself using water (rivers, lakes, ponds, ocean, etc) as an element in a picture when sometimes, looking at it from a different perspective, it might actually BE the subject. The same holds true for the sky. So, in this collective let's take a long weekend and show the membership some shots taken with the sky or some body of water as the subject rather than simply a component of an image.

Announcing "Water & Sky". Brought to you by the creative minds of the Nikon Cafe membership. Limit 3 per member.

The time begins on Friday, July 20, 1201AM Local Time and ends at Midnight on Sunday, July 22, Local Time. All submitted images must be taken during the dates and times listed here.

Please watch the file size of you entries and please use captions.

Be well and shoot lots. I see some opportunities for some dramatic B&Ws here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Good one, Mike. It's going to take a bit of luck (weather, location, and timing), but definitely worth pursuing.

3. Agree Bob. Bald skies are a frequent issue and not all of us live near water, at least not enough water to make a good photo. Still, with a little creative thought, we might surprise ourselves. Besides, aren't most sunrises and sunsets usually about the sky?

4. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Earth, inside out

Sorry, I couldn't resist. We've all seen pics of the planet taken from space. Here's my quick and dirty "from the inside looking out"

[​IMG]

5. Trying something new for this collective shoot - using the cellphone camera. The Nokia N95 has a 5 Meg sensor and image quality is surprisingly good. This was taking at my birding site, showing water and a nice blue sky.
    original.

And tonight, I used the 800mm to capture something big and bright in the sky.
    original.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful images.
    I will be out shooting tomorrow.
    Surely I can come up with some sky or water:>)))))

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That's a cell phone Phil?? That just killed half the P&S market!

8. It's the Zeiss lens [and 5 Meg] that does it...excellent pic

9. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Bob,

Greetings. Interesting idea with the circular perspective on the sky... Makes me think that in B&W and the right clouds (your's are pretty close as they are) it might even look like a full moon.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

10. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Water colors

Greetings. The surface of the water on a local river painted by the sky, foliage and structures along the riverbank.
    All D200, 70-200VR f2.8 + TC17E

[​IMG]
    340mm @ 1/640s f/4.8 ISO 400, bankside trees with one tree having purple leaves
    [​IMG]
    340mm @ 1/640s f/4.8 ISO 400, bankside trees with two bushes with white blossoms
    [​IMG]
    340mm @ 1/180s f/11 ISO 400, under a structure with orange and olive green building and sky reflected

I saw an interesting color swirling in a photo I took of a duck swimming in these waters and given the collective shoot went back to the location and played with the reflections off the river bank and the ripples in the water. Appreciate comments & critiques...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

11. Here's my one, Saturday morning's sunrise over Bulow Creek, Bulow Creek State Park in Ormond Beach Florida.

[​IMG]

Nikon D200 w/Tokina 12-24mm

12. Thanks all! Great shots so far. Hope we see more by tomorrow.

13. Noon at Valley Forge National Park

[​IMG]

D2x, Tokina 12-24, CP

14. Skies around here have been less than inspiring this weekend.

Here's a rope swing over a rural creek . . .

82636093.original.

Eric

15. Very nice shot! :smile: Love how blue the sky turned out. Did the CP make it that blue, editing, or was the sky that nice on this day? :eek:

16. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Veterans Park lake

I was taking pictures at the Civil War reenactment at Veterans Park and remembered the collective shoot topic was sky and water. Nothing special about it. Just thought I'd join in.

872268606_8435cfff15_b.

17. The sky was pretty darn nice to begin with. However, the CP made it really stand out. I used a few layers to make the image you see here, including a HDR image to bring out the colors of the flag, and a blue gradient to deepen the blue color of the sky a bit.