CS #482 - Up/Down, but not All Around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here goes: I'm sitting down looking up a number in the phone book (kids, this one is NOT a smart phone app!!) One flash is up, over the book, and another is lower down shining up at my face.

item.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've got to admit, Nick, that I completely missed that interpretation of up/down, but it works and makes for a very handsome portrait. Almost like a Dutch Master painting. Thanks for the inspiring start ... hopefully we'll all reach for the creativity you've shown here.

I'm usually looking down to find flowers and insects - that or trying not to trip over something. No bugs around this time of year, unfortunately but a lot of tripping on icy sidewalks.
I was downtown again today and did a bit of looking up.

1. Not a lot of tall buildings in Winnipeg.
_FFB3155.jpg

2. A detail of the Human Rights Museum from below.
_FFB3165.jpg

3. Love it hate it, it has a certain presence.
_FFB3160.jpg

Well, maybe not so many tall ones, but as your second shot above shows, that hasn't kept you from looking up .... a very nice composition. The statue is freaky ... how tall is it? Any way of providing a sense of scale? Great start!

I go up and down the stairs to my condo many times a day:

IMG_2075.jpg

This lights my way when it is dark.​
Ed, that's a lovely shot of an attractive chandelier. Sometimes it is easy to take such beauty for granted ... I'm glad you didn't. Good start ... looking for your next one.

Lt Bobby Brown, that is what we call him and he is well remembered. He is Buried beside his master, in historic Rose Hill Cemetery.

original.jpg
Tom, that is a touching tribute. It wasn't until I "unfolded" the full size print that I recognized that you must have used a wide-angle lens ... at least I think so. Very effective.

Washington Sleeps Here .

No tall buildings to shoot like Larry, so I went to my often visited Rose Hill.

original.jpg

original.jpg
Really effective "bottom up" shots of the monuments, Tom. Is Washington a local hero ... or our first President? Looks like you live amongst a lot of history .... I visited my Ex in Winchester, VA last summer and really enjoyed looking at the war cemeteries there.

I'm usually looking down to find flowers and insects - that or trying not to trip over something. No bugs around this time of year, unfortunately but a lot of tripping on icy sidewalks.
I was downtown again today and did a bit of looking up.

1. Not a lot of tall buildings in Winnipeg.
_FFB3155.jpg

2. A detail of the Human Rights Museum from below.
_FFB3165.jpg

3. Love it hate it, it has a certain presence.
_FFB3160.jpg

I like your reflective mood Larry. Y'all have a lot of glass up there, and it looks like a strong art community, not sure about their taste, this fellow seems to be quite a mix of styles.

Last edited:
Well, maybe not so many tall ones, but as your second shot above shows, that hasn't kept you from looking up .... a very nice composition. The statue is freaky ... how tall is it? Any way of providing a sense of scale? Great start!

Thanks Harry
I took some pictures of the piece, "North Watch" by Ivan Eyre at the unveiling in May 2012 You can see the whole thing and get a sense of scale here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110303...WatchUnveiling?authkey=Gv1sRgCJH4xcbVydXaiQE#

Larry

I like your reflective mood Larry. Y'all have a lot of glass up there, and it looks like a strong art community, not sure about their taste, this fellow seems to be quite a mix of styles.

Thanks Tom
Stand by for more in the next couple of days.

Larry

Please ! No one tell my wife.
She had a wee bit of surgery on her " bilateral Great Toes " today. Only a real photo hound would have his wife wait while he grabbed a few pics in a cemetery :). She sent this to the grans in a message.

Definitely Looking Down.

large.jpg

Well, here goes: I'm sitting down looking up a number in the phone book (kids, this one is NOT a smart phone app!!) One flash is up, over the book, and another is lower down shining up at my face.

item.jpg
A different take on the theme - a nice portrait

Larry

I go up and down the stairs to my condo many times a day:

IMG_2075.jpg

This lights my way when it is dark.​

I like the geometry of this shot.

Larry

Please ! No one tell my wife.
She had a wee bit of surgery on her " bilateral Great Toes " today. Only a real photo hound would have his wife wait while he grabbed a few pics in a cemetery :). She sent this to the grans in a message.

Definitely Looking Down.

large.jpg

Yikes! :)

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom