CS #491 - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Harry, your theme was a good idea.
A chance to get out of house to the fresh air.

I was at Bodensee Airport near Friedrichshafen. There's a wonderful terrace with a phenomenal view to the airport.

(1) Easy Jet Airbus

(2) Unknown manufacturer from Monarch

(3) Germania Airbus

Thanks Harry. I spent 3 wonderful hours there.
Klaus
Nice set Klaus! Interesting to see the different airlines - something different than what we see in the states.

I was at Bodensee Airport near Friedrichshafen. There's a wonderful terrace with a phenomenal view to the airport.

(1) Easy Jet Airbus

(3) Germania Airbus

Klaus
Very nice set, Klaus. Looks like you had a great vantage point.

1:90 scale postage stamp model of the P-40B Warhawk taking to the blue skys this morning shot a 105mm on an E-M1 and 1:2 magnification

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

(1) Easy Jet Airbus

(3) Germania Airbus

Klaus
And we have three wonderful airliner photos as a result. Thank you, Klaus. BTW, those kind of airports with an open air terrace for photographers are a godsend. I am lucky enough to have such a terminal at the airport that also serves as the base for the F-15 wing.

1:90 scale postage stamp model of the P-40B Warhawk taking to the blue skys this morning shot a 105mm on an E-M1 and 1:2 magnification

Great composition and shot.

Damn, Jim, that looks real! Great concept and shot.

I had to share the ridiculousness that was my setup for that shot.

:DThat's great! Now all you need is a Lilliputian pilot:D

That's neat Delbert. I learn something new every time I'm in one of these shoots.

Thought today I'd "finish off" another macro print from my childhood ..... this time a gas-engined plane I built when about 12-13 years of age (1952). I used DxO Filmpack 4 to simulate a darkroom print of that era.

MAN, THIS PASTURE IS ROUGH!
Your pics bring back a lot of memories of my many models, line planes and free flyers.

Shhh! Don't give away your secrets!!!! :)

Sunday, the car club I'm in, held an Advanced Driving Skills school up at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, in one of the big parking lots. In between instructing, and running around and helping coordinating things, I tried to take a bunch of pictures for the students and the club newsletter. It was a balmy 27 degrees F, in the morning, and got up to a tepid 46 degrees by the end of the day. At least by then, the water wasn't freezing on the cars and pylons. :)

Here are some cars on the skid pad exercise...

Very cool. Thought it was the real thing.

Extravent. Ridiculous. Whatever you want to call it, you got a great shot. Thanks for sharing this with us Jin

Sunday, the car club I'm in, held an Advanced Driving Skills school up at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, in one of the big parking lots. In between instructing, and running around and helping coordinating things, I tried to take a bunch of pictures for the students and the club newsletter. It was a balmy 27 degrees F, in the morning, and got up to a tepid 46 degrees by the end of the day. At least by then, the water wasn't freezing on the cars and pylons. :)

Here are some cars on the skid pad exercise...

Having once owned a couple of Bimmers myself, Paul, I'd say all the practice on the pad you can get is not too much. Worst snow car I've ever owned ..... but a blast to drive near the limit. Thanks for capturing these for us.

Just when I freed up some time today, along came a patch of sunshine, and I raced out to get some pictures I had pre-visioned. Well, two out of three with son ain't bad, I guess.

Bob's earlier comment about not having working trains in the area caused me to think of three industrial users in our area, and two out of three had cars so I was able to capture them.

Tank Car. (Coincidentally, I had one exactly the same long construction and black color on my earliest Lionel set, one my dad picked up in the '40's. That one had the Sunoco oil label on it.)

Nikon D7000 ,Nikkor 50mm f1.8D AF, 1/3200s f/2.2 at 50.0mm iso100

High-Side Flat Cars (I'm not sure what this warehouse loads or unloads, or whether it might just be cars on a reserve siding.)

Nikon D7000, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX, 1/50s f/11.0 at 24.0mm iso100

A third site, with exotic plastic chemicals had no rail cars there today. Unfortunately, as they are lookers.

But while shooting this second shot, I realized I was next to the school bus depot lot, and buses were returning for the afternoon, so I casually walked in and took a few shots, before they decided I was a terrioist and threatened to call the cops. By then I had my shots, so I made nice and said goodbye. Here's the one I like best:

School Bus Return

I'm looking forward to more of your shots tonight.

Last edited:
Just when I freed up some time today, along came a patch of sunshine, and I raced out to get some pictures I had pre-visioned. Well, two out of three with son ain't bad, I guess.

Bob's earlier comment about not having working trains in the area caused me to think of three industrial users in our area, and two out of three had cars so I was able to capture them.

Tank Car. (Coincidentally, I had one exactly the same long construction and black color on my earliest Lionel set, one my dad picked up in the '40's. That one had the Sunoco oil label on it.)

Nikon D7000 ,Nikkor 50mm f1.8D AF, 1/3200s f/2.2 at 50.0mm iso100

High-Side Flat Cars (I'm not sure what this warehouse loads or unloads, or whether it might just be cars on a reserve siding.)

Nikon D7000, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX, 1/50s f/11.0 at 24.0mm iso100

A third site, with exotic plastic chemicals had no rail cars there today. Unfortunately, as they are lookers.

But while shooting this second shot, I realized I was next to the school bus depot lot, and buses were returning for the afternoon, so I casually walked in and took a few shots, before they decided I was a terrioist and threatened to call the cops. By then I had my shots, so I made nice and said goodbye. Here's the one I like best:

School Bus Return

I'm looking forward to more of your shots tonight.
Nice set Harry! I like your bus shot too.

Having once owned a couple of Bimmers myself, Paul, I'd say all the practice on the pad you can get is not too much. Worst snow car I've ever owned ..... but a blast to drive near the limit. Thanks for capturing these for us.
Thanks! The all wheel drive ones with snow tires go rather well in the snow. The rear wheel drive ones, not well at all. Wide tires and 50/50 weight distribution make it pretty tough, but with Winters like this last one, it doesn't matter much. :)

At the school, we had a surprize attendance of students (and instructors) with classic cars. This 57 Chevy was an instructor's car, that he brought up to the event (didn't take it on the course).

Same here...

A student, though, brought this beauty...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom