CS #500 - You: Your Context

My apologies for being late to post this .... this evening I returned back from a four day, thousand mile auto trip to see my grandkids and elderly sister .... as of now this is a placeholder that you can use to get started. I will flesh the post out tomorrow.

What do I mean by "You: Your Context". It will be about shooting photos that reveal aspects of your life that you feel are important to your sense of who you are, in a way that is good photography and of interest in helping your fellow Cafe'rs appreciate the "whole you". Whatever you wish to convey; however in photo and story you wish to convey it. It is my hope that in addition to the photographic challenge, this shoot will help us all know each other better by the end.

My photos must wait until tomorrow, but you can start right now. The shoot runs from 12:01am on Thursday June 9th, your local time, thru Wednesday evening June 16th, again your local time. As usual, you may post a maximum of three photos to a post, each having a maximum dimension of 1024 pixels. But you may post as often as you like within the time frame. Photos must be taken within the time frame.

So, go forth and shoot! And be inspired along the way in doing so.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting theme Harry. I do hope to learn something about my fellow CSers. Off for a cup of coffee -- my regular drink -- and a camera. Back soon.

So let's see if I'm understanding Harry's intent here.

1. Coffee -- I drink coffee from early in the morning, 4am, to late in the evening, 8pm. So it's a big part of my life. (First two cups are full strength and then I switch to decaf.)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_0466a Coffee by Art OConnell, on Flickr

2. I truly love photography, as much for the equipment as the images. So I try to rotate through my cameras and give everything a good cleaning and usage. Here's my current ready to shoot collection. Top bag is a Nikon D3100 with a few kit lenses, my most used camera. Bottom bag has a Nikon F5 and a Nikon D2H with an assortment of lenses, some AI and some AF.
DSC_0469a Cameras ready 1 by Art OConnell, on Flickr

3. An extension of #2, this is a backpack that is currently outfitted with my Hasselblad 500C and a few lenses (80mm & 150mm), a few film backs and a few rolls of film. Plus, of course, a few light meters.
DSC_0470a Cameras ready 1 by Art OConnell, on Flickr

I hope I got this right. These are a few of the things that I think of as an integral part of who I am.

My apologies for being late to post this .... this evening I returned back from a four day, thousand mile auto trip to see my grandkids and elderly sister .... as of now this is a placeholder that you can use to get started. I will flesh the post out tomorrow.

What do I mean by "You: Your Context". It will be about shooting photos that reveal aspects of your life that you feel are important to your sense of who you are, in a way that is good photography and of interest in helping your fellow Cafe'rs appreciate the "whole you". Whatever you wish to convey; however in photo and story you wish to convey it. It is my hope that in addition to the photographic challenge, this shoot will help us all know each other better by the end.

My photos must wait until tomorrow, but you can start right now. The shoot runs from 12:01am on Thursday June 9th, your local time, thru Wednesday evening June 16th, again your local time. As usual, you may post a maximum of three photos to a post, each having a maximum dimension of 1024 pixels. But you may post as often as you like within the time frame. Photos must be taken within the time frame.

Harry
Nice topic Harry.
Was just thinking that one of my first CS contributions was when you hosted and there you are again!
Hopefully "sloth" will not set in this week and I will actually do some photography!

1. Coffee -- I drink coffee from early in the morning, 4am, to late in the evening, 8pm. So it's a big part of my life. (First two cups are full strength and then I switch to decaf.)

2. I truly love photography, as much for the equipment as the images. So I try to rotate through my cameras and give everything a good cleaning and usage. Here's my current ready to shoot collection. Top bag is a Nikon D3100 with a few kit lenses, my most used camera. Bottom bag has a Nikon F5 and a Nikon D2H with an assortment of lenses, some AI and some AF.

3. An extension of #2, this is a backpack that is currently outfitted with my Hasselblad 500C and a few lenses (80mm & 150mm), a few film backs and a few rolls of film. Plus, of course, a few light meters.

I hope I got this right. These are a few of the things that I think of as an integral part of who I am.
You are right on, Art.

Folks, I'm in a pickle. I came back from a trip last night only to find my Photo Workstation taken down by a virus, and I have not yet been able to salvage it.

So my attention turned to my laptop, which I have been rebuilding since it went down two weeks ago, and I have installed NX2 and Photo Mechanic, and hoped to have one or both up and running by now. But the four-way card reader (old) will not find a driver to make it work. So on this one, I have programs but no intake. I'm going to visit Best Buy this evening, but only the Lord knows when I'll get processing done.

The irony is I got good shots this AM as I intended. For now, I'm stymied.

I'll still be here commenting, but I'm sorry for the lack of guidance. Art's done a pretty good job of getting us started, anyhow, as he often does. Thanks, Art.

Just don't forget .... you can post as often as you like so you can reveal many sides of yourself if you wish.

You are right on, Art.

Folks, I'm in a pickle. I came back from a trip last night only to find my Photo Workstation taken down by a virus, and I have not yet been able to salvage it.

So my attention turned to my laptop, which I have been rebuilding since it went down two weeks ago, and I have installed NX2 and Photo Mechanic, and hoped to have one or both up and running by now. But the four-way card reader (old) will not find a driver to make it work. So on this one, I have programs but no intake. I'm going to visit Best Buy this evening, but only the Lord knows when I'll get processing done.

The irony is I got good shots this AM as I intended. For now, I'm stymied.

I'll still be here commenting, but I'm sorry for the lack of guidance. Art's done a pretty good job of getting us started, anyhow, as he often does. Thanks, Art.

Just don't forget .... you can post as often as you like so you can reveal many sides of yourself if you wish.
Sorry you're having difficulties Harry. Best of luck with everything. I'm looking forward to terrific images.

Harry
Challenging theme Harry. I finally have my iMac working and can now post. Will have to think about this one.

Hope you get your setup going...I know exactly how you feel.

Well done set, and good start for the theme.

Harry
Well, I finally was able to install NX2, Photo Mechanic, and TransferNX on my laptop (old programs on WIN 7 do not always install easily) and transfer and install my photos for this collective. Shot with my lesser-used Nikon D7000, forgetting that I had it set for JPEG shooting (sports) ... so editing had to be minimal. In keeping with use only of the 35mm f1.8 DX as "normal" lense. Now to the meat.

I am by nature a bit of a recluse .... at least an introvert and a loner ... and so easy socializing has never been my strong suite. One of the benefits of spending and hour or two each morning walking with my brother-in-law has been to open me up in this regard .... he is a master at talking to people and getting them to open up .... and I have actually become pretty good myself with him as an example. So these photos are a sequence of small "snaps" showing the people we ran into and I took the initiative of talking to and getting them to pose during yesterday's (Thursday's) walk. We actually didn't run into several of our "regulars" so on most mornings the total would be higher.

Presented in the order encountered over several posts .... comments afterward.

View attachment 1468854
These shots were taken around 7:15-7:30am and all these young folks were people we had not met before despite walking at the same time every day. I stopped them and explained what I was doing and they were happy to oblige. We were all enjoying the extremely pleasant weather.

Onward!

Last edited:
Here are the next three encounters we had.

On our return leg (around 7:45) we ran into a couple that we had often exchanged pleasantries with, but had not formally introduced ourselves. So I took the initiative in doing that, we started a conversation, and then I backed off while Mike (right) continued.

A few minutes later we encountered another couple that we previously acknowledged with pleasantries, but this time I introduced the two of us and asked them to pose. They lived nearby and were headed home to do yard work.

Dogs are quite frequently on the trail with their owners. This lovely female critter is always walked, by him, her, or both. This time as we stopped and chatted, Mike mentioned how much better behaved the dog was for him alone that when his wife walked her. This morning he laughed and said he had told her what we said, and she told him then he could do it everyday (it's not his favorite thing!)

Onward to the last post (I promise).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom