CS #504 - One camera: one lens

Good morning and welcome to CS#504 One camera: one lens. This week is actually being hosted by Warth man but he's unavailable right now and asked me to kick it off for him. All the normal CS rules apply.

CS#504. One camera: one lens.

The aim this week is to stick with one camera and one lens for the whole week. You could either use your favourite combination or take the opportunity / incentive to pull one out you haven't used for a while and take pics in any and all situations for a week. At least, for submission to CS! If you think it will help, you could say at the outset what your combination will be for the coming week. So really, it is an open shoot subject-wise but with restricted tools. Usual CS rules apply.

My own choice for the coming week will be D750 plus Nikon 85mm f1.8G. I don't use it as much as I should. Here are a couple of examples taken a few weeks back:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Sun, Sunbeams and Swallows by warth man, on Flickr

Orange by warth man, on Flickr

Finally, remember Art's other rule: "Have fun!"

Warth man didn't say the lens had to be a prime so I'm guessing that a zoom would be acceptable. This sounds like fun and so I'm considering the camera and lens combo that I'll pick for the week. Thanks for hosting us Warth man.

I bet he meant
Warth man didn't say the lens had to be a prime so I'm guessing that a zoom would be acceptable. This sounds like fun and so I'm considering the camera and lens combo that I'll pick for the week. Thanks for hosting us Warth man.
I bet he meant one focal length. Shooting with an 18-300 or similar doesn't present much of a challenge, does it?

Larry

Hi Everyone
Thanks, Art, for putting my theme up. My original intention was just as Larry suggests - the challenge would be greater if we stick to prime lenses, but then I thought that perhaps there are folk who might want to take part with a compact zoom or who have stuck to zoom lenses. So I therefore left it as open as could be for choice in the hope that as many as possible will join in. For my part, as in the opening post, I've opted for a lens I could use more than I have been, the 85mm 1.8G. I'll be trying to post something each day and wouldn't it be something if we all aimed for even one a day? Hope you enjoy the week.

As openers, here are a couple from today's dog walk:

This first one is a really heavy crop and the detail still showing is tribute to the ability of this lens.
Foxglove by warth man, on Flickr

Then we discovered that someone has let loose with a can of spray paint at the top of the hill. Nice (?).
Camouflage by warth man, on Flickr

OK. I've decided on my camera and lens combo. Nikon, of course, D2H with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF. Sorry forgot to mention that this lens is actually the 35mm equivalent of a 75mm on this body.

Test shot to check the combo. Shot at 1600 f/8 1/8. Ignore date and time in EXIF as the internal battery in the camera is dead and I always forget to reset the date.
DSC_0002 by Art OConnell, on Flickr

This is my newest great-grandson. I've been babysitting this week. He's a doll.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
Thanks, Art, for putting my theme up. My original intention was just as Larry suggests - the challenge would be greater if we stick to prime lenses, but then I thought that perhaps there are folk who might want to take part with a compact zoom or who have stuck to zoom lenses. So I therefore left it as open as could be for choice in the hope that as many as possible will join in. For my part, as in the opening post, I've opted for a lens I could use more than I have been, the 85mm 1.8G. I'll be trying to post something each day and wouldn't it be something if we all aimed for even one a day? Hope you enjoy the week.

This first one is a really heavy crop and the detail still showing is tribute to the ability of this lens.

Then we discovered that someone has let loose with a can of spray paint at the top of the hill. Nice (?).
Nice series Warth man. The colors are really beautiful. I kind of like the bench thing but wouldn't want to encourage that sort of activity. I'm glad you clarified on the lens usage. I figured leaving it open would allow more folks to feel comfortable participating and frankly some may not have a prime to use.

OK. I've decided on my camera and lens combo. Nikon, of course, D2H with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF. Sorry forgot to mention that this lens is actually the 35mm equivalent of a 75mm on this body.

Test shot to check the combo. Shot at 1600 f/8 1/8. Ignore date and time in EXIF as the internal battery in the camera is dead and I always forget to reset the date.

Great pic Art and I'm glad you've brought out your older gear. Just right for the theme. Great grandchildren eh? I'm only on a couple of granddaughters and they are only eight and six. Well done your Mob!

Hi Everyone

Really like this Foxglove, warth man... :)

Good morning and welcome to CS#504 One camera: one lens. This week is actually being hosted by Warth man but he's unavailable right now and asked me to kick it off for him. All the normal CS rules apply.

CS#504. One camera: one lens.

The aim this week is to stick with one camera and one lens for the whole week. You could either use your favourite combination or take the opportunity / incentive to pull one out you haven't used for a while and take pics in any and all situations for a week. At least, for submission to CS! If you think it will help, you could say at the outset what your combination will be for the coming week. So really, it is an open shoot subject-wise but with restricted tools. Usual CS rules apply.

My own choice for the coming week will be D750 plus Nikon 85mm f1.8G. I don't use it as much as I should. Here are a couple of examples taken a few weeks back:

Sun, Sunbeams and Swallows by warth man, on Flickr

Orange by warth man, on Flickr

Finally, remember Art's other rule: "Have fun!"
Nice examples Art. I was thinking of the 85mm, but I don't use the 50mm and 200mm I have. Will have to decide on which one to use. Sounds challenging.

Hi Everyone

Cool flowers and the title of the second one made me smile.

Very handsome and nice capture of him.

Oh come on... at least make it more challenging like only using prime or something. :bored: :p :D

I shall see how many pictures I can take this week with this odd couple. Obviously this one was not taken with this combo.

Here is the first try. To be honest, the success rate wasn't so good indoor thus far. :shy: Haven't done this for a while and man... this lens is heavy!!:yuck:

Last edited:
Oh come on... at least make it more challenging like only using prime or something. :bored: :p :D

I shall see how many pictures I can take this week with this odd couple. Obviously this one was not taken with this combo.

Here is the first try. To be honest, the success rate wasn't so good indoor thus far. :shy: Haven't done this for a while and man... this lens is heavy!!:yuck:

Pretty good first result with the combo. Nice DoF on the shot and good focus on the flower.

Nice combo. I like the shot. I'm guess that lens seriously outweighs the body.

Scottish National Flower. Some say it's very apt. I'm married to one so I wouldn't dare.
One for the Scots by warth man, on Flickr

A mixed flock of jackdaws, rooks and possibly some crows decided to take off (noisily) as I walked my dog. Converted to mono and processed using Silver Efex Pro, silhouette mode, to emphasise the birds and reduce the impact of the clouds beyond.
Corvids by warth man, on Flickr

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom