CS #508 - Horizons / Skylines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did go out today, even though it wasn't at all promising. The venue was Barbondale, near Kirkby Lonsdale and towards the western end of those Howgill Fells that I submitted earlier in the week. I ended up on really narrow lanes that I hadn't ventured along before - so narrow that I had to fold the door mirrors in. As it was, I still had tall hedges/vegetation brushing the sides of the car for a couple of miles and the lane was so twisty that the view ahead was rarely more than a few yards. The rain was steady but not heavy. Light not at all inspiring. As it is the last day of the CS week though, I took some shots anyway.

This was taken of the skyline on the way through Barbondale. The prominent hill ahead, with low cloud settling onto it, is Baugh Fell. On a fine day this is a beautiful place.
28819585161_8b7fce3696_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Barbondale by warth man, on Flickr

And another "Little Critters" shot, this time near heather.
28863098586_5dfd6ff5ce_b.jpg
Little Critters' Skyline 2 by warth man, on Flickr

Real Name
Paul
Last day and last few hours over here. As with Jim however, the rain and low cloud has set in and will be with us for the rest of today and probably tomorrow. So, I went back to my outing a couple of days ago and here are two more offerings from then:

South westerly horizon from the moorland between Orton and the Westmorland county town, Appleby.
28279235743_65129eb2a8_b.jpg
Westmorland Horizon by warth man, on Flickr

And what little creatures would see as a skyline from near the same spot
28609247830_51e32827b1_c.jpg
Little Critters' Skyline 1 by warth man, on Flickr
Both nice warth man. I really like the first one with the field and sky.

Real Name
Paul
Real Name
Paul
I did go out today, even though it wasn't at all promising. The venue was Barbondale, near Kirkby Lonsdale and towards the western end of those Howgill Fells that I submitted earlier in the week. I ended up on really narrow lanes that I hadn't ventured along before - so narrow that I had to fold the door mirrors in. As it was, I still had tall hedges/vegetation brushing the sides of the car for a couple of miles and the lane was so twisty that the view ahead was rarely more than a few yards. The rain was steady but not heavy. Light not at all inspiring. As it is the last day of the CS week though, I took some shots anyway.

This was taken of the skyline on the way through Barbondale. The prominent hill ahead, with low cloud settling onto it, is Baugh Fell. On a fine day this is a beautiful place.
28819585161_8b7fce3696_b.jpg
Barbondale by warth man, on Flickr

And another "Little Critters" shot, this time near heather.
28863098586_5dfd6ff5ce_b.jpg
Little Critters' Skyline 2 by warth man, on Flickr
Nice. That little critter you take with you is a pretty darn good photographer! :)

Real Name
Paul
Our department at work had an outing today to celebrate a product shipment, where we went to Boston and participated in a small scavenger hunt and then cruise. It was raining off and on all day, but we made the best of it and had a good time.

During the scavenger hunt, I did manage to get one shot of the Boston Tea Party ship (and museum is there) with a skyline in the background:

cisco-celebration-7384.jpg

From the cruise ship, that went around the harbor, I was able to snag a few Boston skyline shots (dodging the rain). Here is the best one of the lot (weather wise).
cisco-celebration-7423.jpg

My private boat is the white one, right there on the left front (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it :) ).

Real Name
Paul
Here are a few more from the cruise ship, showing some of the buildings and apartments in the area.

On the far right, the tower with the clock is the Boston Custom House Tower. Left of center is the famous Rowes Wharf area.

cisco-celebration-7414.jpg

I think thi is around Battery Wharf and Burroughs Wharf.
cisco-celebration-7421.jpg

The Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown is behind the Coast Guard ship docked near the Charlestown Navy Yard.
cisco-celebration-7422.jpg

First off, Google has disabled Picassa which I used for storing web photos. Hope this works:

VIBZ-ROuVz_9gh6SjpsI7UCT9V9giGYPxJBrMfnLJYAdv6dnngzh3GDAnmFVhoLybKSF8Mmor23TYgbtI=w1040-h1224-no.jpg

"I don't often shoot horizons, but when I do it helps to have a good set of levels"
edit: reposted pic in larger size due to google being, well being GOOGLE!

Last edited:
Here are a few more from the cruise ship, showing some of the buildings and apartments in the area.

On the far right, the tower with the clock is the Boston Custom House Tower. Left of center is the famous Rowes Wharf area.

cisco-celebration-7414.jpg

I think thi is around Battery Wharf and Burroughs Wharf.
cisco-celebration-7421.jpg

The Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown is behind the Coast Guard ship docked near the Charlestown Navy Yard.
cisco-celebration-7422.jpg

Paul, these are just the ticket. I was hoping someone would be able to find some city skyline shots because I don't have anything like this near me. Excellent. Amazing how they manage to get so many tall buildings into one small area.

Real Name
Ross
First off, Google has disabled Picassa which I used for storing web photos. Hope this works:

VIBZ-ROuVz_9gh6SjpsI7UCT9V9giGYPxJBrMfnLJYAdv6dnngzh3GDAnmFVhoLybKSF8Mmor23TYgbtI=w1040-h1224-no.jpg

"I don't often shoot horizons, but when I do it helps to have a good set of levels"
Good shot and my mom used Picassa a lot and doesn't know what to do with herself now that its down. She doesn't really like smugmug which is what I use, do you have any suggestions?

That's the end of the "Horizons/Skylines week and we've seen some good shots from both sides of the Atlantic. Thanks to everyone who contributed and encouraged us with comments. I hope you will all take a look at what Klaus has planned for us next.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you warth man for hosting this weeks CS. (y)
There were a lot of wonderful and interesting shots.

Sorry, I couldn't participate - we had a very busy week in the office... o_O

Kind regards
Klaus

Real Name
Paul

Good idea Ed. I was thinking about capturing the horizon line on my Fuji x100s display, but never thought about levels, especially the one in my tripod. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. :)

Real Name
Paul
That's the end of the "Horizons/Skylines week and we've seen some good shots from both sides of the Atlantic. Thanks to everyone who contributed and encouraged us with comments. I hope you will all take a look at what Klaus has planned for us next.
Thanks for hosting! It was hard to get much time, and to get the weather to cooperate, but was fun to see what people came up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom