CS #514 - Wide Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All

Less than six hours to go to the start of this theme week so I guess the NZers and Ozzies will be ready to go (!).
I chose the theme of "Wide Open" for this week because I felt that many of us, especially landscape-oriented folk, rarely used their lenses to the ultimate light-gathering capacity for which they were designed. I couldn't see a similar theme from what I can see of past weeks so I thought a bit of exposure (sorry!) to having to think about it and do it might be of help to many of us. Shamefully, when I started to trawl through my flickr pics for examples a couple of days ago, I couldn't find ANY where I had used the full, wide open capacity of any of my lenses. So I had to go out and take some. Not as easy as I thought, so kudos to those who take the stunning portraits we see on this site. Hopefully we can all benefit from a bit of testing ourselves to one of the limits of our lenses and we will see some great pics this coming week.

Here are three examples from my walkabouts yesterday and today:

Some Canada Geese suddenly visited the field next door. Nikon 70-300 VR at 300mm and f5.6.
29053451434_b248d3e71a_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC2033-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Rose Bay Willow Herb in seed. Nikon 105mm micro at f3.0 (best it would allow).
29679917085_8e8c765c06_b.jpg
_DSC2055-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Through Stone. Nikon 50mm f1.4G at f1.4. This is the wall of my house, a converted barn. Through stones are the bigger, deeper stones that sit across the whole depth of the rubble walls that are typical of the time (200 years+) and placed at intervals sufficient to help the stability of the structure.
29055509223_931a3aa260_b.jpg
_DSC2097-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Usual CS rules apply. Pics to be taken from midnight tonight until midnight next Wednesday; max size 1200 pixels longest side and three per post at most. Post twice if you have more! I hope you have fun and that we test ourselves a little bit too. Good luck!

Interesting examples for a challenging theme. I may have used my 300 f/4 wide open once or twice, but don't recall the specific situations. Likewise, I think I've seen one or two examples of "through stones", but I never learned that terminology. [My continuing education has already profited from this CS.;)]

Real Name
Paul
Hello All

Less than six hours to go to the start of this theme week so I guess the NZers and Ozzies will be ready to go (!).
I chose the theme of "Wide Open" for this week because I felt that many of us, especially landscape-oriented folk, rarely used their lenses to the ultimate light-gathering capacity for which they were designed. I couldn't see a similar theme from what I can see of past weeks so I thought a bit of exposure (sorry!) to having to think about it and do it might be of help to many of us. Shamefully, when I started to trawl through my flickr pics for examples a couple of days ago, I couldn't find ANY where I had used the full, wide open capacity of any of my lenses. So I had to go out and take some. Not as easy as I thought, so kudos to those who take the stunning portraits we see on this site. Hopefully we can all benefit from a bit of testing ourselves to one of the limits of our lenses and we will see some great pics this coming week.

Here are three examples from my walkabouts yesterday and today:

Some Canada Geese suddenly visited the field next door. Nikon 70-300 VR at 300mm and f5.6.
29053451434_b248d3e71a_b.jpg
_DSC2033-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Rose Bay Willow Herb in seed. Nikon 105mm micro at f3.0 (best it would allow).
29679917085_8e8c765c06_b.jpg
_DSC2055-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Through Stone. Nikon 50mm f1.4G at f1.4. This is the wall of my house, a converted barn. Through stones are the bigger, deeper stones that sit across the whole depth of the rubble walls that are typical of the time (200 years+) and placed at intervals sufficient to help the stability of the structure.
29055509223_931a3aa260_b.jpg
_DSC2097-2.jpg by warth man, on Flickr

Usual CS rules apply. Pics to be taken from midnight tonight until midnight next Wednesday; max size 1200 pixels longest side and three per post at most. Post twice if you have more! I hope you have fun and that we test ourselves a little bit too. Good luck!
Interesting theme and great examples. The second one is my favorite of the set.

Real Name
Paul
Up early this morning and it shaped for a fine start so I went out into the garden with the 85mm f1.8 - at f1.8 of course:

29401054490_6bd0a1bcf3_b.png
Rosey Dawn by warth man, on Flickr
Nice! Did you happen to do any post processing on the image? I was wondering about some of the red and green fringing - not sure if that can be adjusted (or what is causing it - I've seen that before on some of my shots).

Hi Paul. Yes - guilty! I went back to have a look and the main culprit seems to have been the boost of vibrance but I also gave red and orange a tweak. However the only way of getting rid altogether was to make it virtually mono, which defeated the early morning glow I had wanted. I admit I'm not too good with PP.

Took this lens with me on today's dog walk. Some of that fringing seems to come from the lens, at least when it's wide open. Happily it is pretty much gone at smaller apertures from about f5.6 on. Anyway, that wouldn't qualify for this week's theme, so here are two more taken with it wide open. Fringing still apparent, especially on bokeh.

Cow parsley seed head
29071876374_eaab3ef026_b.jpg
Seed Head by warth man, on Flickr

Early autumn woodland
29071883114_5728e08673_b.jpg
Woodland by warth man, on Flickr

JPS

Still not going out... but... you want WIDE ? This is wide !

Nikon D800 + Nikon 10.5 f/2.8 DX (lenshood shaved) - 1:500 @f/8 - ISO 100 - BTW, the camera was 19 inches (48cm.) away from the net !

original.jpg

:)

I enjoy unexpected findings of fauna and flora – a couple of days ago I found some sorghum growing just 20 yards from my back door. [I guess the birds have decided to grow their own winter feed.:)] I recorded the incident at that time, but I decided to redo the shot with my 70-200 f/4 wide open – I find the extra isolation more pleasing.

DSC_3373sm.jpg

Real Name
Paul
Hi Paul. Yes - guilty! I went back to have a look and the main culprit seems to have been the boost of vibrance but I also gave red and orange a tweak. However the only way of getting rid altogether was to make it virtually mono, which defeated the early morning glow I had wanted. I admit I'm not too good with PP.
Yeah, me too...

Real Name
Paul
Took this lens with me on today's dog walk. Some of that fringing seems to come from the lens, at least when it's wide open. Happily it is pretty much gone at smaller apertures from about f5.6 on. Anyway, that wouldn't qualify for this week's theme, so here are two more taken with it wide open. Fringing still apparent, especially on bokeh.

Cow parsley seed head

Early autumn woodland
Both came out nice warth man. I like the close up on the first one and the bokeh you got on the second one.

Real Name
Paul

Nikon D800 + Nikon 10.5 f/2.8 DX (lenshood shaved) - 1:500 @f/8 - ISO 100 - BTW, the camera was 19 inches (48cm.) away from the net !

original.jpg

Very cool shot! You got both aperture and focal length wide. Sweet!

Real Name
Paul
I enjoy unexpected findings of fauna and flora – a couple of days ago I found some sorghum growing just 20 yards from my back door. [I guess the birds have decided to grow their own winter feed.:)] I recorded the incident at that time, but I decided to redo the shot with my 70-200 f/4 wide open – I find the extra isolation more pleasing.

DSC_3373sm.jpg
Indeed. Nice and sharp with a smooth background.

original.jpg

Although the theme wasn't described as clearly as it might have been, I think the idea was not to necessarily use a wide angle lens but to shoot a lens wide open, so at f2.8 in your case.
Larry

JPS

Although the theme wasn't described as clearly as it might have been, I think the idea was not to necessarily use a wide angle lens but to shoot a lens wide open, so at f2.8 in your case.
Larry
Well, as the title was "Wide open", without mentionning "aperture", I reckon a WIDE focal lenght (or even ultra-wide in this case) is not wrong !

I agree I played with words, but well....

:sneaky:
J-P.

Cow parsley seed head

Early autumn woodland
Nice theme and shots. I often use my 105 or 55mm wide open. Hope to get out and shoot over the weekend. Thanks for hosting.

original.jpg

Surely is wide and very open. Nice shot and interpretation of the theme.

I'm not sure if this fits the theme but it was taken with my Tokina 16-28 @2.8. Looking across the harbor to West Boothbay Harbor at 7:52 this evening.

DJH_9663-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom