CS #521 - Depth of Field

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Everyone! :D

I'm posting the subject of the next CS rather early, since I have the day off tomorrow and have every intention of sleeping in past 4:30 am, LOL! :)

Anywhooo...this week, we’re going back to basics, as the focus (no pun intended) of this week’s Collective Shoot is ‘Depth of Field’ (DOF). Simply put, depth of field is defined as the “amount of distance between the nearest and farthest objects that appear acceptably sharp in a photograph.” (source – mir.com)

Now, the thing about depth of field is that DOF can be interpreted in different ways. It’s not just limited to a very narrow selective focus such as detailed in these photos, where the backgrounds are blurred…

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...DOF can also be depicted where everything in the image appears to be in sharp focus, like this:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it (I’ve always wanted to say that :p), is to take photos with the current theme in mind and report back by posting them. Bonus points will be awarded if you provide EXIF info.

Depth of field is but one aspect of photography that I struggle with, so I will be very interesting in seeing what you come up with. The usual CS rules remain in place, of course, and below are two articles which explains more about this week’s subject.

Happy Shooting!

http://digital-photography-school.com/understanding-depth-field-beginners/

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/htmls/depth.html

Aha… DOF, an oft discussed and oft misunderstood topic. The key word, Lyndee, is acceptable – different definitions of DOF are used with respect to different photographic applications (image vs. print, landscape vs. macro, etc.).

About 1.5yr. ago, Jonathan Sachs (Digital Light & Color) released a new DOF calculator for PC and Android implementation. More importantly, perhaps, he prepared a very thorough manual with discussion of all of the factors involved (CoC, diffraction, sensor resolution, etc.). If you’re interested, the free PDF manual is available here – it’s well worth the read.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the manual, Bob, and you are right - the operative term is 'acceptable' and it's very subjective. That's why I'm so interested in seeing what everyone comes up with. In the meantime, I'm going out to see what I can find!

This may not be exactly what you were thinking about, but I was curious – what if I try to maximize DOF for the subject and minimize DOF for everything else? I had to prop up this dahlia, so there are “foreign” objects within one cm of the back of the flower.

I used f/4 and manual focus to maximize blur; f/16 and auto focus for the flower (all else the same); and composited the two images. [The compete EXIF metadata is embedded in the image file.]

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This may not be exactly what you were thinking about, but I was curious – what if I try to maximize DOF for the subject and minimize DOF for everything else? I had to prop up this dahlia, so there are “foreign” objects within one cm of the back of the flower.

I used f/4 and manual focus to maximize blur; f/16 and auto focus for the flower (all else the same); and composited the two images. [The compete EXIF metadata is embedded in the image file.]

This is exactly what I have problems with - getting the background focus to blur like yours, Bob. My results are always hit or miss. I really like this and your flower pops out against the background very well!

Y'know what I wish? That I could join this CS and use a shiny new Apple iPhone 7 Plus with that nifty new portrait mode app..... From what I've seen, the new app can get pretty decent results, although of course it is not as effective as real DOF in a real DSLR with a real lens..... Unfortunately, cannot do that since I STILL have not been able to get my eager little hands on what I want -- the Jet Black. Oh, of course, I could use my perfectly wonderful actual camera equipment to do this, too, but oh, how I wish I could be playing with a new iPhone right now.....

Y'know what I wish? That I could join this CS and use a shiny new Apple iPhone 7 Plus with that nifty new portrait mode app..... From what I've seen, the new app can get pretty decent results, although of course it is not as effective as real DOF in a real DSLR with a real lens..... Unfortunately, cannot do that since I STILL have not been able to get my eager little hands on what I want -- the Jet Black. Oh, of course, I could use my perfectly wonderful actual camera equipment to do this, too, but oh, how I wish I could be playing with a new iPhone right now.....
Connie, you know you're going to want to make the comparison between the iPhone and real camera. Why not use this opportunity to develop your real camera reference set.;)

Now, THERE's a thought, Bob!!!! Gee, why didn't I think of that?!!! :D I need to get the camera gear out pretty soon anyway to prep it in anticipation of an upcoming trip out of town, so if I can get my act together and shoot something within the time frame of this CS, too, that would be just dandy! We'll see......

Apologies to all about the whining in my other post, but I am just getting really frustrated at the lack of availability in the new iPhone this time around. Right before coming here I'd for the umpteenth-umpth time checked the Apple site, only to once again be disappointed at the usual "unavailable" message for my local store and the ones around here...... Sigh.....

LOL!!!! Rotary Phone???!!!! Hey, now THERE's a thought!!!! Bet if I could find one and pose it in alluring positions I could have a blast with shooting that!!!! In the meantime I guess I'll have to forget the beautiful Jet-Black iPhone 7 Plus for now and as far as shooting gear is concerned, I'll just have to settle for my good old trusty Nikon and a lens or two as far as taking the shot(s)....... :)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
We just sent in ours yesterday, how about you? :)

ISO 200, F/1.4, 1/60, 25mm
Hey there, Kiley - it's very nice to see you and I love this DOF. The f/1.4 really zeros in on the date in the middle of the ballot and the angle at which you shot this is very pleasing. Well done!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Annnd Good Morning, everyone!

Went to work with the intention of taking images to show later this morning, but when I reached into my bag discovered that I left my camera home (again; yes, I've done this before... :().

Don't let my forgetfulness, however, hinder you from posting. I'll see you later! :D

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
See, this is what I'm referring to. I never shoot at f/22, and instead stay "safely" at f/9-f/11. This focal length shows everything is nice sharp focus and is one that I will try tomorrow.

Ted, your image is fabulous. I love the lighting from the left and my, but that a really tall mushroom! Thanks for posting this!

See, this is what I'm referring to. I never shoot at f/22, and instead stay "safely" at f/9-f/11. This focal length shows everything is nice sharp focus and is one that I will try tomorrow.

Ted, your image is fabulous. I love the lighting from the left and my, but that a really tall mushroom! Thanks for posting this!
Thanks Lyndee

one more: D810, ISO 64, 300mm, f4, 1/350

Tomatoes for Sauce by Ted, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom