CS #525 - Monochrome

Morning/evening all. Hope you don't mind the change of theme but my original suggestion of "Decay" now follows on rather too close to kilofoxtrott's "Ruins." I thought it would be better to do something else and, as we haven't delved into mono for a while, thought we could give it another whirl. It always seems to be popular anyway. So, here are a few examples dug from my flickr files but I'm sure you will have no difficulty knowing what we're after this week. Usual rules apply and especially - all submissions to be taken over the next seven days. Happy mono-hunting!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Stonehenge by warth man, on Flickr

The Snowfield by warth man, on Flickr

RX100 - crop by warth man, on Flickr

Interesting theme warth man. Haven't done B&W in a while. Will try to squeeze some time in shoot, although may be hard. Other than this morning, when I got up to work and it was pitch black, I'm finding it hard to find things that are just black and white... kidding :)

Oh wait... there is something B&W right in front of me...

Lucky enough to get this one from today's dog walk. The line of reflection on the sea was so bright that it pretty much obliterated details of the trees. D750 and 70-300mm VR.

And there shall be light! by warth man, on Flickr
Very nice warth man! The rays of light really enhance the shot.

It's really been raining hard for the past few days...

We're down more than 14" of rain for the year, so it is needed. However, makes me want to stay in. Looks like it is finally clearing today...

We're down more than 14" of rain for the year, so it is needed. However, makes me want to stay in. Looks like it is finally clearing today...
Now that looks wet. Great detail Paul. Does very much rain get through those screens?

Lucky enough to get this one from today's dog walk. The line of reflection on the sea was so bright that it pretty much obliterated details of the trees. D750 and 70-300mm VR.

Very bery nice shot. Did you use a polarizing filter?

Nice shot, Paul. It been murky mornings here in CA too. Heard that TN finally got some rain to help out on the fires. I look your shot too!

That is a cool shot, a lot going on there, makes it very interesting.

It has been a while since I attempted monochrome, so I thought I’d better try a quickie to help refresh my memory. Monochrome means something different for different people and applications, and procedures for creating monochrome images range from simple desaturation to channel extraction and/or channel mixing to selective adjustment of individual color levels followed by global removal of color, etc.. Global expression of levels at constant hue (e.g., sepia toning) also comes under the heading of monochrome.

I didn’t have much time so I just walked out to the highway and took this shot across the highway. The red and HSV-V channels seemed to have about the same amount of detail. I used the HSV-V channel and then tinted at a constant hue that is claimed to simulate printing on platinum/palladium (2Pd1Pt) paper. I was looking for a “layers effect” and an expression of early December environment in the image, but I have mixed feelings about retaining a bit of the road at the bottom.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom