CS #532 - Handcrafted

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Sorry folks,
I came home very late from work and my examples are not of the quality I have planned.

Show me things that are made by hand as hobby or work, big or small...

(1) These blossoms were crotchet by my mother about a decade ago.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(2) A friend of mine is building model trucks scale 1/10. This is a gearbox. You should see his machinery in his cellar...

(3) My second hobby: model ships in scale 1/350. This is the cruiser Prinz Eugen. The father of a friend of mine was on duty on it from 1942 to 1945. I'm working on it since three years now.

Have fun this week...
Klaus

Interesting CS Klaus, and great examples. The model truck is really impressive. I didn't realize how long it takes to do detailed models either (haven't done that since I was a kid, with simple plane models).

The timing of this topic is fortuitous. A friend asked me to shoot pictures of a couple of stone projectile points to bring out the flake pattern. I did these this morning using light from a SE window. This one could be a flute-less Clovis point which would make it up to 13,500 years old (with apologies to believers in young earth creationism :)). They're focus stacks using Combine ZP. D810, 55mm f3.5 and a short tube.

One has to admire the skill of the tool maker.

Larry

face 1

face 2

Sorry folks,
I came home very late from work and my examples are not of the quality I have planned.

Show me things that are made by hand as hobby or work, big or small...

(1) These blossoms were crotchet by my mother about a decade ago.

(2) A friend of mine is building model trucks scale 1/10. This is a gearbox. You should see his machinery in his cellar...

(3) My second hobby: model ships in scale 1/350. This is the cruiser Prinz Eugen. The father of a friend of mine was on duty on it from 1942 to 1945. I'm working on it since three years now.

Have fun this week...
Klaus
Wonderful shot Klaus, while built 40 or so model; ships and an 1 large scale RC plane, I can still appreciate your craftsmanship, much like your friend building the truck I had a friend that built from scratch steam locomotives. very impressive work.

The timing of this topic is fortuitous. A friend asked me to shoot pictures of a couple of stone projectile points to bring out the flake pattern. I did these this morning using light from a SE window. This one could be a flute-less Clovis point which would make it up to 13,500 years old (with apologies to believers in young earth creationism :)). They're focus stacks using Combine ZP. D810, 55mm f3.5 and a short tube.

Larry

face 1

face 2

Very nice Larry; like Lyndee, I can play also this time.

Larry

face 1

face 2
Well done shots Larry!

Larry

face 1

face 2
Very nice, Larry.
PBS has a show (I think it's called "First Americans") that includes info on timing, migration routes, and tools of the early inhabitants.

Larry

face 1

face 2
Very interesting object and well-photographed, Larry.

Fourteen or so years ago my wife and I were looking for hobbies that we might pursue in retirement. My wife opted for quilting and I chose woodworking. Seven years into retirement we are no longer involved with those activities. This queen size quilt was her first attempt at quilting and the simple maple quilt rack was my first woodworking project.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Fourteen or so years ago my wife and I were looking for hobbies that we might pursue in retirement. My wife opted for quilting and I chose woodworking. Seven years into retirement we are no longer involved with those activities. This queen size quilt was her first attempt at quilting and the simple maple quilt rack was my first woodworking project.

And both are beautiful, Dave! I love the colors in the quilt and that quilt stand is stunning...

Mc Carty 3.5 " one handed knife.
I own 3, the other two are 5 ". Mc Carty knifes have a unique round spring in them.
He is work is widely known and sought after through out the South and west, and his grandson still makes knifes, but not like these. I have never carried this little one and am surprised at all the small marks on it.

You have access to nice light there Dave, I am jealous, I live in a dark forest and get no friendly little North light. I will put up some of my wife's work .

You have access to nice light there Dave, I am jealous, I live in a dark forest and get no friendly little North light. I will put up some of my wife's work .
Thank you Tom. Actually the light was coming from an east facing window and I used a silver reflector to add more light. Looking forward to seeing your posts. Interesting photo of your knife. Unusual wear on the blade.

Our son surprised us with a new carving for our road. A morning North light shot might have worked better, The rains leave here tomorrow.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Wow - I am truly rusty! Not only could I not figure out my camera settings, I had a heck of a time remembering how to upload and post from Smugmug...:confused:

Anywhoo, in my spare time, I like to make jewelry. I got into the hobby a couple of months ago, and find that I like it very much. As I am a newbie, my pieces aren't that great, but I keep practicing at it. Here are two examples:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom