CS #548 - Re-visit and Re-shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klaus asked me to take on this week, and I am happy to do so.

The challenge this week will be to revisit a subject, object, or place that you have shot before and achieved a photo you liked. Then to return to that same subject, object, or place and find a substantially different presentation of the same that you like equally well. It can be a different angle, focal length, perspective, lighting, change in condition, whatever .... but the goal is to come up with another good shot or shots that you consider "keepers".

Special for this shoot, you can (and are in fact encouraged to) include the "original" photo that you are now ignoring for a different look.

As usual, the Shoot will start Thursday morning (5/11) at 12:01am in whatever time zone you are in, and finish at 11:59pm the following Wednesday (5/17). Your posts can contain up to three shots (plus an "original" shot in this case) and the photos you post must be shot within the time period, except for film shooters who can start a bit earlier and/or end a bit later. You can post as often as you like. Shots are to be no more than 1100 pixels on the long side.

I'll try to give you one example of what I mean. Way back in May of 2008 I led a walking tour of Northampton, MA (Dave may remember as he was there) and during the tour I shot the Smith College dam waterfall through the branches of a tree. This was the shot:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I returned to the site again today, and found the object itself had changed ... in fact the pond behind the damn had been partially drained so there was no "spillage" and a huge volume of water was emerging from a drainage pipe in the damn.

Now, the easy way out was be to shoot a similar shot but with a focus on the stone construction of the damn. So I did take such a shot (although not as good because my sense of it was that it wouldn't really reveal the "new damn" and I didn't put as much care into it.)

What was more of a challenge was how to capture this new "flow" from the pipe. How to capture the force of the pipe discharge in an evocative manner. How to convey the volume of the flow.

Here are the three shots I came up with that I think might qualify as "good enough", particularly the latter which is my "keeper".

Wide Angle

Maximum Telephoto

Short Telephoto

These shots are from three different vantage points and use three different focal lengths. The first shows the outflow in context of the damn, the second focuses on the power emerging from the pipe, and the third conveys both the turbulence and volume of the outflow. That is the one where I could say to myself "I've got it!".

So this is just one example ..... but I hope it helps show what I mean with this topic. Revisit and reshoot .... with new angles, perspectives, and changes that the subject/objects determine.

Wrack your brain, and then let's go to it! I plan to shoot some more myself during this week, and I really look forward with what you come up with.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you very much, Harry.
I'm preparing now for the trip to NYC and have a lot to do. Friday for example I'll drive to Munich to the Nikon Service Point to clean and check my D700.

Harry, it's an interesting topic you've choosen. I've got an idea already...

Regards
Klaus

Interesting and challenging theme Harry. I like your last shot, showing the turbulence of the water, in addition to the outlet.

I'm still on travel, and have a another day trip on Saturday, so I'll be hard to revisit places, but will see if things work out.

I like the topic!
Thanks, Ed. Glad to hear it.

Thank you very much, Harry.
I'm preparing now for the trip to NYC and have a lot to do. Friday for example I'll drive to Munich to the Nikon Service Point to clean and check my D700.

Harry, it's an interesting topic you've choosen. I've got an idea already...

Regards
Klaus
I'm looking forward to your idea already, already, Klaus.

Interesting and challenging theme Harry. I like your last shot, showing the turbulence of the water, in addition to the outlet.

I'm still on travel, and have a another day trip on Saturday, so I'll be hard to revisit places, but will see if things work out.
Paul, thanks, exactly why it is the one I call a keeper. I hope you can fit something in. It doesn't have to be a place .... could be a shot of some object or some person or people.

I shoot a purple iris every year, but I frequently have trouble getting the color “exactly” right. This flower was a little “beat up” by the rain and cool temperatures, but, according to my eye, the color is very close.

I shoot a purple iris every year, but I frequently have trouble getting the color “exactly” right. This flower was a little “beat up” by the rain and cool temperatures, but, according to my eye, the color is very close.

Color is very vivid Bob. Well done on the shot!

It is as realistic a purple as I've ever seen, Bob. Congratulations!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I'm assuming you had a link to an older page? Otherwise, it is amazing that your desk setup looks the same all this time. :)

A lot of change behind that big screen, Klaus. Not only for the Cafe, but for your role in it. Thanks for the memories. How many years elapsed during this time, if I may ask. Is Paul correct that you were able to bring up the "old format" for comparison? Or were these really taken years apart?

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I'm assuming you had a link to an older page? Otherwise, it is amazing that your desk setup looks the same all this time. :)
A lot of change behind that big screen, Klaus. Not only for the Cafe, but for your role in it. Thanks for the memories. How many years elapsed during this time, if I may ask. Is Paul correct that you were able to bring up the "old format" for comparison? Or were these really taken years apart?
My friends,
both pictures were taken this morning, so the cup didn't get spider webs and dust.
To go to the old one just enter "www.archive.org". Go to "way back machine" and enter "www.nikoncafe.com". After entering this you can choose a date to revisit the old NC. Pictures are not shown. I had choosen a date from 2010.

Thank you for your interest
Klaus

Shoot Off:

Shots of walking bridge near my condo:

This from my Canon 6D and 24-70 f/4 lens

This from my little Nikon D5500 and 55-200 DX VR lens
(unfortunately it was saved at a higher compression ratio)

Honestly can't say one is better than the other, except that the Nik was a lot cheaper and is
far easier to carry on a walk.

edit: first shot was a shorter focal length, from last year and edited today

Last edited:
Shoot Off:

Shots of walking bridge near my condo:

This from my Canon 6D and 24-70 f/4 lens

This from my little Nikon D5500 and 55-200 DX VR lens
(unfortunately it was saved at a higher compression ratio)

Honestly can't say one is better than the other, except that the Nik was a lot cheaper and is
far easier to carry on a walk.

edit: first shot was a shorter focal length, from last year and edited today
I like the second one better, but both are nicely done.

Thanks Paul. Am I the only one who thinks the green of Nikon jpeg's are off compared to Canon?
I prefer the green in the Canon shot as well, Ed. But a lot may depend on the white balance. Does the D5500 have two different auto while balances like the more advanced Nikons, or did you use "sunlight" white balance. Sometimes "neutral" and "auto1" seem to have a tint in that direction.

Harry, here is a photo I took in October and a photo of the same place taken today.

Harry, I have fond memories of the photo tour of Northampton and Smith College. I recall that you were an excellent guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom