CS #549 - Give your shots a second chance

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by JustEd, May 17, 2017.

1. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    This thread runs from right now (a little early) until Midnight 5/24/27 (your local time).

The subject of the shoot is to give a photo you might delete a second chance with a little editing. In this example I has casually clicked a couple of shots of the Sacramento Vietnam War memorial while shooting flowers in the Rose Garden. It would be a forgettable shot, but with a little straightening, crop and selective darkening (blur) it becomes a usable image.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I'll leave it to you as to how to improve your submitted image, put your thinking caps on!
    The usual forum rules apply; such as photos taken withing the time frame of this weeks shoot, family friendly photos, limit to three images per post please.

I might be a little slow starting out as my health is a little bit off this week (allergies).

2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    It's an interesting theme Ed.

I'm in
    Klaus

3. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Interesting theme Ed, and very nice example. I think most of my shots are of the Batman variety, so I almost always have to straighten them. :)

4. So you want us to go out and take a badly composed picture then fix it? I can't imagine most people work that way.

Larry

5. mktdg

mktdg

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm a little confused...

Are we to submit images which were taken before today and then re-edit during this CS?

Or

Do we take some poor photos and edit and submit all during the CS?

I don't shoot very often at the moment so this would mean shooting something poorly and then trying to rescue it with editing as apposed to properly planning a shot and getting it right.

This isn't a dig but I'd like clarification as if the first option, I can participate, if the second then I doubt I will.

6. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Does not have to be a poor shot, but must be taken during the time frame of this CS.

7. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No does not have to be a bad shot, just make it much better by editing. Often I find that there is a "picture within a picture". Meaning that after looking at a shot some elements stand out and editing can make the picture highlight those elements.

8. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    If this theme does not fit your concept of photography, then please participate by showing us your something strait out of camera which you feel is perfect as is. I am open to that.

Where the idea came from is that I often find lighting or some other element of an image undesirable, but I take the shot anyway thinking that it can be improved in post.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM
  9. I for one, despite all my best intentions, fail to take exquisitely perfect pictures every time I release the shutter :eek::D:cool::LOL::ROFLMAO::p

10. There's a big gap between perfect and a "photo you might delete" I shoot raw and a flat profile in camera so every picture requires editing and even when trying to get the best composition in camera a slight tweak in post might make me happier. Photos I delete couldn't be saved. :)

Larry

11. ^^ I agree 100%, and that gap is what Ed is asking us to share and exploit. An in my case, I'm sure it ain't a normal curve. :cool:

12. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks like that engine could make an interesting shot.
    Too bad it is behind that heavy gate and in poor lighting.

[​IMG]

Wow, by sticking the lens through an opening in the gate it sure looks better,
    but still no Banana:

[​IMG]

Rather than throw it away some editing yielded this:

[​IMG]

Lens distortion correction, straighten, selective B&W conversion, erase undesired background
    elements, crop, slight background blur and levels.

As a friend one said who started me in printing B&W photos in the darkroom
    (you know the old way with chemicals):

A good photo comes from the camera,
    A great photo comes from the darkroom!

Is this a great photo? No, but it is a decent one and is representative of what I saw in my
    mind's eye at the scene.

btw, this is a familiar image to my friends here at the CS. I often use this difficult scene to see
    how much I can do in post with a particular camera. And yes, this is from today.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM
  13. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's an easy one. I was fascinated by the gentle wind playing with the flag

[​IMG]

A little bit of "hamburger helper" in NX2 and got this

[​IMG]

Mostly motion blur at the right edge of the flag and some recovery of the blue on the flag.
    Also erased tree at bottom right of image and did a slight crop and straighten​

• Like Like x 1
  14. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Decided to give the edit a second chance in iPhoto:

[​IMG]

Not everyone likes this kind of effect, but sometimes it is useful.
    Anyway, I think both edits make the photo more interesting for the viewer​

• Like Like x 1
  15. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Nice progression of your processing Ed. Thomas the Train would be proud. :)

16. That's not exactly a slow start, Ed. Very nice treatment. A challenge for all of us to match!

17. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I KNEW it looked familiar:ROFLMAO:

18. So basically in the end, this CS is all about the post-processing, the editing......

19. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I often take images with an eye to what can be achieved in post.

20. I think this could start a whole discussion on different philosophies -- i.e., the "shoot it right in the camera in the first place" as opposed to "this doesn't look quite right; no matter, I'll fix it in post-processing."

That said, sure, there is definitely room in the middle for looking at an image during the reviewing process and thinking, "well, this isn't a great shot but if I do "x" and "y" I might be able to save it and make it into something interesting after all."