CS #551 - Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean your lenses, charge your batteries, and grab your memory cards (or film) to get ready for this week's challenge.

Motion... Many things are moving in this world, and here is your chance to show that movement. It can be anything/anyone moving. As simple as people walking, and commercial planes flying, to more difficult challenges (for some) of higher speed moving objects.

Take your favorite subjects and see how you can incorporate the display of motion into your shots. For some this may be easy, for others, it may be out of your comfort zone, but give it a shot. I find that trying something new, makes me think more about my shooting and helps me grow overall in my skills (or lack of :)).

Here are a bunch examples, from older photos I had laying around that I don't think I used for Collective Shoots in the past:

Silly cars on a racetrack
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tricycle on the track

Sports

Fireworks

What dog sledders do the rest of the year

Normal Collective Shoot rules:
  • Shoot between now and midnight next week, your local time,
  • Post as often as you want, but keep it to three or less, if possible,
  • Keep the long edge of the shot 1024px or less (so we don't have huge posts),
  • Family rated shots, and most importantly
  • Have fun exploring capturing motion!

Yesterday, the lawn mowing crew was really rushing to get the neighbor's lawn mowed...

Ok, so I was having fun trying to make him look like he was going faster than he really was...

I wonder if they had a successful day fishing...

These two were heading out for a nice walk...

Hope I can get two sets in before the sun disappears for another three days.

Rear-shutter exposure I have done before so I am skipping that.
Timed Intervals I have not done before, so I am going to start with that one in this post.
Panning I haven't done since my younger self panned some race cars in the film days, so that remains a challenge before the shoot ends.

Very near my house is a three-way corner that is heavily traveled, since it connects many streets and is also a shortcut to the local mall. Needless to say, compliance with the three stop signs ranges from good (about 50%) to fair (about 30%) to abysmal (the remainder). I saw all of that today, but decided I would set the interval as short as possible. This quickly sorted out all but the compliers.

The following six shots show a car that did stop at the stop sign on the right hand side, as it starts up and turns the corner. Much more effective at the suggested motion in a slideshow, of course, but here they are:

STOP, THEN GO

Interesting optical illusion here, BTW. The camera was on a tripod and didn't move .... yet all the left hand pictures appear to have a more slanted crosswalk.

Hope I can get two sets in before the sun disappears for another three days.

Rear-shutter exposure I have done before so I am skipping that.
Timed Intervals I have not done before, so I am going to start with that one in this post.
Panning I haven't done since my younger self panned some race cars in the film days, so that remains a challenge before the shoot ends.

Very near my house is a three-way corner that is heavily traveled, since it connects many streets and is also a shortcut to the local mall. Needless to say, compliance with the three stop signs ranges from good (about 50%) to fair (about 30%) to abysmal (the remainder). I saw all of that today, but decided I would set the interval as short as possible. This quickly sorted out all but the compliers.

The following six shots show a car that did stop at the stop sign on the right hand side, as it starts up and turns the corner. Much more effective at the suggested motion in a slideshow, of course, but here they are:

STOP, THEN GO
View attachment 3507 View attachment 3508 View attachment 3509 View attachment 3510 View attachment 3511 View attachment 3512

Interesting optical illusion here, BTW. The camera was on a tripod and didn't move .... yet all the left hand pictures appear to have a more slanted crosswalk.
Cool Harry! It is an illusion. Very strange. If you stare just at the walkway, it is the same angle. How did you do the timed intervals. Did you just set up for multiple shots and then manually trigger it at the start of the sequence, or something else?

I think my camera has some form of focus based triggering (setting a focus point and when the subject enters that, it shoots), but I've never tried it.

Just paddling along...

There were many ducks in the water, but they kept swimming away, as people got close. I ended up using the 70-200mm just to get close enough to get this one. Later, I tried to get some flying, but they were just too fast, and I was running out of daylight yesterday.

Some panned rowing:

1. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cool Harry! It is an illusion. Very strange. If you stare just at the walkway, it is the same angle. How did you do the timed intervals. Did you just set up for multiple shots and then manually trigger it at the start of the sequence, or something else?

I think my camera has some form of focus based triggering (setting a focus point and when the subject enters that, it shoots), but I've never tried it.
Just about that simple, Paul. I first "timed" a few cars and figured one second or less to get the shots, then set the time interval for one second, with a two-second delayed start which I manually triggered (and stepped away, so people wouldn't think they were blocking a shot.)

I used 39 point 3D Autofocus, so the focus would pick up the car entering the scene and track it. It took a bit of trial and error to get the timing right, but after that it was simple. Of course, I could have used slow continuous shooting and probably done as well, but as I said, having never done this before it could be (and was) a learning experience.

Just paddling along...

There were many ducks in the water, but they kept swimming away, as people got close. I ended up using the 70-200mm just to get close enough to get this one. Later, I tried to get some flying, but they were just too fast, and I was running out of daylight yesterday.
This one is leaving quite a wake, Paul. Did you time it? :cool: Nice shot .... ducks as subject matter are always among my favorites.

Just about that simple, Paul. I first "timed" a few cars and figured one second or less to get the shots, then set the time interval for one second, with a two-second delayed start which I manually triggered (and stepped away, so people wouldn't think they were blocking a shot.)

I used 39 point 3D Autofocus, so the focus would pick up the car entering the scene and track it. It took a bit of trial and error to get the timing right, but after that it was simple. Of course, I could have used slow continuous shooting and probably done as well, but as I said, having never done this before it could be (and was) a learning experience.
Very cool. I'll have to give that a try some time.

This one is leaving quite a wake, Paul. Did you time it? :cool: Nice shot .... ducks as subject matter are always among my favorites.
They were really elusive buggers and hard to shoot especially with all the trees and brush near the edge of the water - only a few places where I could get a clear view. I think on this shot, I got too close (as on a few others), and they started to scoot out of the area, which was fortunate to better show motion.

These two boys were in the parking lot, by the lake, playing basketball. They'd each take turns pretending to be the "hoop" and would self narrate their approach to scoring a basket. It was quite amusing to watch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom