CS #556 - Shapes we expect to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
When an object is named, there is often a geometric shape which we associate it.
For instance, a ruler is expected to be two parallel straight lines, the doughnut is expected to be round with a round hole in the middle, etc.

So for this week, think of an object and photograph it in such a way as to show off the shape associated with it.

Usual forum rules apply, such as only submitting images taken within the time frame of this shoot; all posts to be user friendly; only three images per post, etc. The shoot runs from right now until 11:59 pm July 12th your local time.

Have fun!

Here are some examples taken today:

A metal tape measure
9DDWz76Ywb1aH9dXBHifAsqdznhfddzNvPqawqMsHHFTJ2PzDfjc85hH4AVwktqBofxexw8eO4xvb0ZM6X=w1024-h800-no.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Straight lines with a curved body for strength.

A roll of gaffers tape (aka black duct tape)
xYKuOtgZtRS_O6vz9oQzB7Lrtbn0oZNb8NAILG4dCsbjlbJgI9y5jONjGAgS-Mnkcwk3piztfC-P7t-Uuc=w1024-h800-no.jpg

A round roll of flat fabric with sticky on it (ok the sticky is not a geometric shape):)

You may want to post images of items which are not shaped as one would usually expect,
such as this light bulb.
HdaKhc-U1FbdPmIdW5RhMtpUlWwXtuoB1yrivnINOT-vXy3im15GWcbW_dik-s26blN0JnqwAkpwhRWzRD=w1024-h800-no.jpg

Uhhh, well its not the usual shape but 'tis a light bulb.

Have fun and am looking forward to your submissions.

Interesting theme, Ed – totally unlike any we have ever done. Geometry is so important to function of so many things, including our photography!** Maybe we have ignored it because of its familiarity.

** Merklinger’s book, “The Ins and Outs of Focus” devotes some 85 pages to discussion of geometry considerations relative to focus and DOF. A lot more might be devoted to topics such as composition, design engineering, etc.

Interesting theme, Ed – totally unlike any we have ever done. Geometry is so important to function of so many things, including our photography!** Maybe we have ignored it because of its familiarity.

** Merklinger’s book, “The Ins and Outs of Focus” devotes some 85 pages to discussion of geometry considerations relative to focus and DOF. A lot more might be devoted to topics such as composition, design engineering, etc.

Always learn something from you, Bob. Thanks for the post and the enthusiasm.

Real Name
Paul
Neat theme!

In my line of work (software development) there are many shapes that we expect to see...and a few that we don't expect...
cs-556-9686.jpg

Like the Go language Gopher symbol riding a horse (top left).

Neat theme!

In my line of work (software development) there are many shapes that we expect to see...and a few that we don't expect...
cs-556-9686.jpg

Like the Go language Gopher symbol riding a horse (top left).

Ok, many geometric shapes there. What is a Go Language Gopher.

Real Name
Paul
Ok, many geometric shapes there. What is a Go Language Gopher.
Go, a newish computer language (10 years old) from Google, has a gopher for a mascot. It's drawn like that silly bean shape with tiny arms/legs and big eyes and buck teeth. People who write software in Go are often called Gophers.

Ref: Go (programming language) - Wikipedia

The ships wheel/web like logo is for Kubernetes, the orange logos are for the Ubuntu operating system (linux based), the RDO logo is RedHat's logo (another Linux operating system), and the obvious Apple logo on the back of my laptop where all these are located.

When someone says; "Pass Me a Hex Head Screw"
isn't this exactly the image in your mind?

ORXGKcps_ZyeGOtbLOHtkhcuX4GBGftUR4pKBJtyy5Zm_WhL4flyes0vtu_zFI_x5-YRrvpKWSDw5F8et5=w1024-h800-no.jpg

Background is just a funky old table on my patio...could've done better I guess?​

The plumed cockscomb (Celosia plumosa) is not the usual shape for a flower – its colors and shape attract attention in any garden. [But, you might guess its appearance from the name.:)]

DSC_3798sm.jpg

Hex keys or Hex wrenches (Allen keys/wrenches if made by the Allen Mfg. Co.).
DAV_1401.jpg

Real Name
Paul
When someone says; "Pass Me a Hex Head Screw"
isn't this exactly the image in your mind?

ORXGKcps_ZyeGOtbLOHtkhcuX4GBGftUR4pKBJtyy5Zm_WhL4flyes0vtu_zFI_x5-YRrvpKWSDw5F8et5=w1024-h800-no.jpg

Background is just a funky old table on my patio...could've done better I guess?​
Great shot (love the shadow) and good interpretation of the theme.

Real Name
Paul
The plumed cockscomb (Celosia plumosa) is not the usual shape for a flower – its colors and shape attract attention in any garden. [But, you might guess its appearance from the name.:)]

DSC_3798sm.jpg
That is an odd looking flower, with really rich colors.

DSC_3798sm.jpg

I've seen those but didn't know the name. Your flower shots are great, Bob!

One of my favorites during the summer: Ice Cream Cone.
DAV_1414b_DxO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom