CS #559 - Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attended my granddaughter's wedding yesterday in Salt Lake City. They had hired a professional photographer plus there were lots of guests with cameras so I didn't want to get in the way. I did; however, want to get a picture or two to post in this thread so I decided to take a few Infrared images of the Salt Lake Temple. The weather was not cooperating for IR photography but I decided to take a few shots anyway.

Front view:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View of spires:

Interesting tree on the grounds:

Fabulous shots of a grand building--I think it is a refreshing interpretation. Our son lives in SLC and over the years I've come to appreciate the grandeur and significance of the Temple. Thanks for sharing.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I got up early this morning and drove to my old neighborhood. This is the church that I attended from 1943 to 1993.
There used to be a mansion across the street where the person who paid for the church lived. I stood in that spot which
is now a Wendy's parking lot to take this shot.
View attachment 1581894
Hi Dave,
you've shot a very nice Neogothic church.

Thank you for hosting
Klaus

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I attended my granddaughter's wedding yesterday in Salt Lake City. They had hired a professional photographer plus there were lots of guests with cameras so I didn't want to get in the way. I did; however, want to get a picture or two to post in this thread so I decided to take a few Infrared images of the Salt Lake Temple. The weather was not cooperating for IR photography but I decided to take a few shots anyway.

Front view:
View attachment 1581932

View of spires:
View attachment 1581933

View attachment 1581934
First of all Gordon, please send my best wishes to your granddaughter and her husband.

The temple looks interesting in IR - first I thought there's snow...

Thanks you very much for showing
Klaus

Front view:
View attachment 1581932

View of spires:
View attachment 1581933

View attachment 1581934
Very interesting shots. I rarely see IR shots, so it was interesting to see the effect.

What better day to go and shoot churches than on Sunday. :) It was a tough time of day (right after noon), but I gave a a go...

Downtown Manchester has numerous churches. Here is St. Marie's, on the West side of town (a French Canadian area):

St. Joseph Cathedral...

I have shown several local country churches in previous editions of the CS – the structures tend to be both very small and plain. This morning, I made a quick visit to Baltimore Ohio – a small town in southeastern Ohio. Several of the churches there date from the second half of the 20th century, but they are still relatively plain in comparison with many found in major cities. Here are two from Baltimore:

Christ United Methodist Church

Walnut Creek Baptist Church

I have shown several local country churches in previous editions of the CS – the structures tend to be both very small and plain. This morning, I made a quick visit to Baltimore Ohio – a small town in southeastern Ohio. Several of the churches there date from the second half of the 20th century, but they are still relatively plain in comparison with many found in major cities. Here are two from Baltimore:

Interesting churches, Bob. The clean, simple lines are different from the older churches in the northeast.

I went looking for churches despite today's difficult lighting. Some churches lost steeples during hurricanes, some churches were made of
wood, some of stone but all were interesting and most had angles that I found difficult to photograph, some, as Bob pointed out earlier,
had telephone and electric wires that were a pain to remove.

A few more of today's churches:

Nice photos Paul. You handled the bright over head sun very well.
Thanks! It was challenging, with the position of the sun. Especially in the first set, where the sun was right overhead. I used a polarizing filter, and needed to post process out some of the glare.

Nice pair Bob. Many of the small towns around here has similar churches - very simple and plain buildings. Unlike the older ornate churches in the city.

I went looking for churches despite today's difficult lighting. Some churches lost steeples during hurricanes, some churches were made of
wood, some of stone but all were interesting and most had angles that I found difficult to photograph, some, as Bob pointed out earlier,
had telephone and electric wires that were a pain to remove.
View attachment 1582013 View attachment 1582014 View attachment 1582015
Really unique design on the first one, classic look on the second, and modern on the third. Well done!

Right across the street from a Catholic cathedral, in Manchester is this cute stone church (Grace Espiscopal). No way to get a shot without electrical lines in the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom