CS #559 - Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Paul
I got real lucky yesterday, on two counts. I stopped by this Greek Orthodox church, which has an unusual design...

cs-559-9810.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First, in the brief time I was there, Father Mike (as I found out) asked me if I wanted to come in to take some pictures. Ecstatic, as I wanted to get pictures of stained glass windows, I went in for more shots:

cs-559-9813.jpg

cs-559-9815.jpg

Real Name
Paul
Second, as I was shooting, and getting a look at the interesting main dome:
cs-559-9818.jpg

The noon-time sun, happen to be beaming in through the window at the top of dome, shining right on the front of the church:
cs-559-9822.jpg

Second, as I was shooting, and getting a look at the interesting main dome:
cs-559-9818.jpg

The noon-time sun, happen to be beaming in through the window at the top of dome, shining right on the front of the church:
View attachment 1582032

Super shots of a beautiful church Paul. I always enjoy photos of stained glass windows. Most churches I visited yesterday afternoon
had closed for the day. I noted that very few churches today follow the tradition of East-West orientation of the altar.

Real Name
Paul
Super shots of a beautiful church Paul. I always enjoy photos of stained glass windows. Most churches I visited yesterday afternoon
had closed for the day. I noted that very few churches today follow the tradition of East-West orientation of the altar.
Dave and Paul -- looks like you're developing a couple of very nice collections of church images -- well done.

Thanks guys! I had to get out and shot as much as I could, since I've got a busy week at work this week and my wife is out of town still. Hopefully, I can get out a bit more during the week.

The church of St Mary the Virgin in my Bedfordshire village dates from around 1340; it has a very rare feature for the East of England, a separate Grade I listed bell tower located about 70 feet from the north wall of the chancel. (Grade I listing denotes that the building is of outstanding or national architectural or historic interest).

36292323855_df2cc1a8ef_b.jpg

St Mary The Virgin - church by Richard Burn, on Flickr

36292315795_0ec8ec69a1_b.jpg

St Mary The Virgin - church & tower by Richard Burn, on Flickr

36292341015_075b0af93b_b.jpg

St Mary - Bell Tower by Richard Burn, on Flickr

36126109692_482154591c_b.jpg

St Mary SE Corner by Richard Burn, on Flickr

Real Name
Paul
The church of St Mary the Virgin in my Bedfordshire village dates from around 1340; it has a very rare feature for the East of England, a separate Grade I listed bell tower located about 70 feet from the north wall of the chancel. (Grade I listing denotes that the building is of outstanding or national architectural or historic interest).

View attachment 1582069

View attachment 1582070

View attachment 1582071

View attachment 1582072
Great captures Richard!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
While in NYC I visited the Rockefeller Center.
From Top of the Rocks you have a fantastic sight to the cathedral below.

36137362132_6973555044_o.jpg

35909751440_5e9f876a97_o.jpg

Just a few pictures from my vacation in NYC...

Regards
Klaus

View attachment 1582071

It's interesting to see the four distinct different layers of the building. I wonder if it was originally shorter, or if they ran out of stone and had to find another source, or if it was damaged and they had to rebuild at a later date.

Very interesting shot Klaus. I have never seen it from the top looking down. The roof line forming a cross is a great design feature. Very nice image.

St. Patrick’s Cathedral
While in NYC I visited the Rockefeller Center.
From Top of the Rocks you have a fantastic sight to the cathedral below.

View attachment 1582101

View attachment 1582102

Just a few pictures from my vacation in NYC...

Regards
Klaus
I would have thought that a moderator would know the rules about when a picture has to be shot for the collective shoot :rolleyes:.

Larry

A very nice set. The separate bell tower is an interesting feature. Some of the much younger Ukrainian Orthodox churches on the Canadian prairies share this feature.

Larry

Real Name
Paul
Interesting architecture and windows. I find that people associated with a church are normally welcoming of anyone who shows an interest.

Larry
I was surprised actually. I was outside for only a few minutes, taking that first picture, and the priest came to the door (I think getting ready to close up) and invited me in. Very nice gesture, so I asked for his email and then pointed him to an area on my web-site with pictures I took when there - Local Trips:Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom