CS #563 - Abstracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

This week’s theme includes photos that are abstracted from the actual physical object …..let us appreciate the art involved in the shot. It can be a macro, but it doesn’t have to be … since we did macros this last week, let’s see if we can move into new territory this week. How else to abstract? Use post processing. Shoot from weird angles. Shoot in weird light. Shoot photos that are meant to represent something else. Shoot using unusual lenses. And others you may think of. I’ve tried to illustrate with a few of my past shots below. And just to make it more interesting, let’s refrain from showing the same shot in B&W and Color …. let’s choose the color scheme we think “makes” the abstract and show only it.

Shadow Abstract

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Representational Abstract
original.jpg

Realistic Abstract
original.jpg

Black and White Normal Lens Abstract
original.jpg

Second-Order Abstract
original.jpg

Shadow Abstract
Tele Shot - Shape / Form / Color Abstraction
Samira Evans-006-Porgy ConcertA.JPG

As usual the shoot will run from 12:00am (midnight) on Wednesday the 24th for seven days, until 11:59pm on Thursday the 30th.. If you are shooting film, you may shoot a week in advance or post after the close, but otherwise we will shoot and post within that time frame.

Also as usual, please limit yourself to no more than three photos in a post, no more than 1100 pixels on the long side. But also as usual you may post more than once. And again as usual offer your comments on other’s work.

I’m looking forward to seeing what we all come up with. Good shooting!

original.jpg

Last edited:
Good topic

I have a problem with the term "Representational Abstract" which from an artistic point of view is a non-sequitur, as representational and abstract are two different art forms (and photography is an art, isn't it?). I'd suggest that the example you show is a still life which is purely representational.

Larry

Real Name
Paul

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Good topic

I have a problem with the term "Representational Abstract" which from an artistic point of view is a non-sequitur, as representational and abstract are two different art forms (and photography is an art, isn't it?). I'd suggest that the example you show is a still life which is purely representational.

Larry
Sign of the times? Perhaps...

Regards
Klaus

Harry, the terms abstract and photography are like oil and water to me.....they just don't go together:
DAV_1632_DxO.jpg

Good topic

Larry

According to the reference given by Paul, there is not a sharply defined boundary between representational and nonrepresentational art – there is a continuum and distinction is highly subjective. Indeed, some might argue that a photograph made with anything less than a “perfect” lens and a perfectly planar scene is nonrepresentational.

Good topic

Larry

Larry, I understand your point of view. Thanks for the posting.

But I had another meaning for that term. I was using photography as a means of conveying the same approach used in other fields of art. In this case, the shot was intended to mimic (represent) a famous Dali painting in particular. Thus the Dali photo was "abstracted" into this particular photo through similar content and layout. The same thing might be done with sculpture, for example. How might Rodin's "Thinker" be abstracted?

I hope this makes some sense to you and others. If not, just ignore this particular approach.

According to the reference given by Paul, there is not a sharply defined boundary between representational and nonrepresentational art – there is a continuum and distinction is highly subjective. Indeed, some might argue that a photograph made with anything less than a “perfect” lens and a perfectly planar scene is nonrepresentational.

Since this is going to be subjective for everyone, no-one is going to prevail in a discussion of the subject. However, I think we can agree that the example Harry labelled "representational abstract" is not abstract by any metric. Besides which, I can find no reference to "representational abstract" applied to art

By the argument you present, abstract begins when there is any deviation from a perfect representation (less than perfect lens being used). Using that argument, there's no painting in existence that could be called representational! Below is a little painting that's considered to be Impressionist, not abstract. (Arthur Dominique Rozaire, 1917). Though everything is extremely soft, one can still knows what it represents, therefore it's representational.

There has to be a point at which representational ends and abstract begins. I can't define what that is but I hope I know it when I see it. :)

Larry

Rozaire.jpg

Larry, I understand your point of view. Thanks for the posting.

But I had another meaning for that term. I was using photography as a means of conveying the same approach used in other fields of art. In this case, the shot was intended to mimic (represent) a famous Dali painting in particular. Thus the Dali photo was "abstracted" into this particular photo through similar content and layout. The same thing might be done with sculpture, for example. How might Rodin's "Thinker" be abstracted?

I hope this makes some sense to you and others. If not, just ignore this particular approach.

I get what you mean but I'd call it "copying the style of" using abstract to define it is too abstract for me. :).

Larry

Last edited:
This'll be a hard one for me. I never really "got" abstract art, and way back in school, focused on science and engineering and not the artistic aspects of learning. I had to Google representational/non-representational w.r.t. abstract art to even understand the concepts (Representational, Abstract, and Nonrepresentational Art | Introduction to Art Concepts, SAC, ART100). :)

Will have to see what people come up with...to better understand the challenge. Thanks for the examples.
Paul, thanks very much for the link. Like you, I tend to be very logical and linear in my thinking, and have to actively "access" my more creative side. So I hope you will give it a try.

Since this is going to be subjective for everyone, no-one is going to prevail in a discussion of the subject. However, I think we can agree that the example Harry labelled "representational abstract" is not abstract by any metric. Besides which, I can find no reference to "representational abstract" applied to art

By the argument you present, abstract begins when there is any deviation from a perfect representation (less than perfect lens being used). Using that argument, there's no painting in existence that could be called representational! Below is a little painting that's considered to be Impressionist, not abstract. (Arthur Dominique Rozaire, 1917). Though everything is extremely soft, one can still knows what it represents, therefore it's representational.

There has to be a point at which representational ends and abstract begins. I can't define what that is but I hope I know it when I see it. :)

Larry

View attachment 1583958
A beautiful painting, Larry. Impressionism is one of the foundations of abstract art as included in the article Paul posted. Without a title I can make out (barely) that it involves two animals (I think) but as impressionism I find this highly abstract.

A beautiful painting, Larry. Impressionism is one of the foundations of abstract art as included in the article Paul posted. Without a title I can make out (barely) that it involves two animals (I think) but as impressionism I find this highly abstract.
That's funny, but now that you mention it I can imagine an elephant or horse on the left. It's a Quebec winter landscape and those are trees. It's one of the last paintings he did in Canada before he moved to California for his health. He died 5 years later of TB. He's in the most recent treatice on Canadian Impressionism and I'm not going to argue with the author who's much more knowedgable than I.

Larry

I get what you mean but I'd call it "copying the style of" using abstract to befine it is too abstract for me. :).

Larry
Here is another one I might have posted that I consider in the same category .... I called it "Auto-Monet" back when I posted it nearly a decade ago ... it "channels" Monet's impressionism despite being composed of recognizable elements.
original.jpg

Now I had better get to work taking some new photos myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom