CS #568 - Earth and Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the man said in 300, a simple offering :D

Seasides or riverbanks would fit the bill:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Or even just mud:

Usual rules apply, good shooting :D

I went to the park today with a plan for an OOB image at the pond. Unfortunately, the park was nearly deserted and I was left with zero cooperative subjects. So, I resorted to a less appealing backup. Oh well, I hadn’t done an OOB for more than five years and needed practice. This one might have been done better with a bounding border on the central pond scene, but I ran out of patience.:notworthy::censored:

I went to the park today with a plan for an OOB image at the pond. Unfortunately, the park was nearly deserted and I was left with zero cooperative subjects. So, I resorted to a less appealing backup. Oh well, I hadn’t done an OOB for more than five years and needed practice. This one might have been done better with a bounding border on the central pond scene, but I ran out of patience.:notworthy::censored:

Cool shot, but OOB??? :D

The use of acronyms is very divisive, separating "those in the know", "the in group" from everyone else. Acronyms made up by the user eg GBH for Great Blue Heron when the actual official code for the bird is GBHE, or BIF are even worse. They can be confusing, too. I suppose some Americans recognize RMNP as Rocky Mountain National Park whereas if I were inclined to be lazy and use this acronym to save a few key strokes it would be for Riding Mountain National Park here in Manitoba.

Rant off.
Larry

The use of acronyms is very divisive, separating "those in the know", "the in group" from everyone else. Acronyms made up by the user eg GBH for Great Blue Heron when the actual official code for the bird is GBHE, or BIF are even worse. They can be confusing, too. I suppose some Americans recognize RMNP as Rocky Mountain National Park whereas if I were inclined to be lazy and use this acronym to save a few key strokes it would be for Riding Mountain National Park here in Manitoba.

Rant off.
Larry
My apologies, Larry. I agree with what you've said -- the use of acronyms is a lazy attempt at communication. When one is used (for some reason known only to the author), the acronym should be defined at its earliest use in the document.

My apologies, Larry. I agree with what you've said -- the use of acronyms is a lazy attempt at communication. When one is used (for some reason known only to the author), the acronym should be defined at its earliest use in the document.
I have no problem with acronyms when they are generally accepted and defined the first time they are used in a post or other writng. It's very common in Scientific writing. For instance If one were writing about what is likely the most photographed dragonfly in North America, Pachydiplax longipennis (Blue dasher) it would be written in full the first time it's used in the article but from then on it's acceptable to write P. longipennis. It saves time, space and electrons.

Larry

In scientific writings the abbreviations are defined at their first use in a paper and in some cases, like a thesis, there is a table of abbreviations. Far from being lazy, the abbreviations started in print journals where each page has a significant cost. So succinct writing and judicious use of abbreviations save money. now in the world of internet and Gigabytes of storage they have lost some of their utility.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Boy are we off topic. Great pics Al, love the water drops" -Georgie Beagle

This image was taken this morning from the Man O' War Bridge near my home. In 2010 this river over flowed its banks and washed several houses down the river along with at least 3 bridges. The Man O' War bridge was not damaged during this 100 year flood.

Image taken with my D2H camera and my 85mm f1.4 D lens.

Winnipeg has lots of water. I shot these this morning.

1. The confluence of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers at "The Forks" which has been a meeting place for 6,000 years. The Manitoba Legislative building is just visible in the background.

2. The Red River looking downstream (North). The pedestrian bridge is the Promenade Louis Riel.

3.The Assiniboine River looking upstream (West). Canadian National Railway mainline on the 1st bridge

Last edited:
This image was taken this morning from the Man O' War Bridge near my home. In 2010 this river over flowed its banks and washed several houses down the river along with at least 3 bridges. The Man O' War bridge was not damaged during this 100 year flood.

View attachment 1586762
Image taken with my D2H camera and my 85mm f1.4 D lens.
Pretty little stream. I bet it has some interesting Damsels and Dragons.

Larry

Winnipeg has lots of water. I shot these this morning.

1. The confluence of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers at "The Forks" which has been a meeting place for 6,000 years. The Manitoba Legislative building is just visible in the background.
View attachment 1586763

2. The Red River looking downstream (North). The pedestrian bridge is the Promenade Louis Riel.
View attachment 1586764

3.The Assiniboine River looking upstream (West). Canadian National Railway mainline on the 1st bridge
View attachment 1586765

Cool set :D

Earth, Water, (and sky) ;). Taken in NW Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom