CS #571 - Other interests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although photography might be your primary hobby, most of us have other activities that share our spare time. Maybe those activities are secondary hobbies, community activities, involvement in charitable organizations, sports team support, working out at the local gym, keeping up with the latest cinema offerings, collecting XXXX’s, following performances by your favorite musical or theatre entertainers, reading the latest books by your favorite author, etc. Whatever shares your spare time, tell us a little about that activity as seen through the eye of your camera this week,

Remember, all images must be taken within the time period for this CS, which starts NOW, and ends at midnight Wednesday, 10/26/17.

I wasn’t born in the woods, but most of my life, except for school and work time, has been spent in the woods and fields. Quite simply put, I enjoy the marvels of the flora and fauna that inhabit this planet with us.

I caught this close-up of a honeybee foraging on one of our large dahlias this morning.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This year’s weather was not kind to our very small orchard area, but the one winter pear tree produced well anyway. I went out this afternoon to check on a supply of the fruit for a pear pie, and I found this guy – a Bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) feasting on a rotting pear. [A word to the wise: Steer clear of these guys – their sting is quite potent.]

One of my smaller interest, and the only one I could come up with on the road. Lighting and lessons courtesy of my friend and host, AKA D70Doug. Doug has a very nice studio..

Very nice photography Bob and this certainly shows off your other pursuit well.
One of my smaller interest, and the only one I could come up with on the road. Lighting and lessons courtesy of my friend and host, AKA D70Doug. Doug has a very nice studio..

View attachment 1588323
Gordon, Tom -- thank you.
Tom, I trust that you and Doug got to sample the models -- one of these days, I should set aside some space for tabletop photography.
BTW: The circular crop and border was done in post processing.

At this time of year, I begin to wonder about food supplies for critters that winter over here. I have not yet gotten to our major stands of hickory and pawpaw trees or the several volunteer apple and pear trees, but this year’s crop of black walnuts is sure to make the squirrels happy. I can imagine the smiles on the deer faces when they gather around this crab apple tree at the edge of one of our fields.:):)

Roasting a Kenya AA coffee for a friend on my popcorn popper- Taken with my iphone 6s

One of my favorite trees at this time of year is the sassafras – not just for its colors and unique leaf shapes, but for sassafras tea too. Unfortunately, our sassafras trees did not like this year’s weather – most of the leaves just turned brown and fell to the ground early. I did find this mediocre example however. I liked the OOF blue sky showing through tiny gaps in the canopy – it’s almost as though the sassafras was trying to reward me with plums or grapes.:):)

Nice Bob, Do you ever make sassafras tea from young plants Bob, nearly always ruins the pot, we had it infrequently in our youth. Goes to show you can eat or drink anything if you use enough sugar.

One of my oldest interests is, HiFi.

Here is the back of a trusty somewhat old Onkyo receiver which I recently replaced.
Have been doing a lot of swapping around of components and trying different stuff
to get the sound "just right."

btw, my new speakers mandated a more powerful amplifier than this one.

Off to the garage!!!

One of my oldest interests is, HiFi.

View attachment 1588877

Here is the back of a trusty somewhat old Onkyo receiver which I recently replaced.
Have been doing a lot of swapping around of components and trying different stuff
to get the sound "just right."

btw, my new speakers mandated a more powerful amplifier than this one.

Off to the garage!!!
Good shot, Ed. I guessed you might come up with something electrical, but my feeble memory said "ham radio".

One of my favorite trees at this time of year is the sassafras – not just for its colors and unique leaf shapes, but for sassafras tea too. Unfortunately, our sassafras trees did not like this year’s weather – most of the leaves just turned brown and fell to the ground early. I did find this mediocre example however. I liked the OOF blue sky showing through tiny gaps in the canopy – it’s almost as though the sassafras was trying to reward me with plums or grapes.:):)

Oh what I'd give for some sassafras tea! Just the mention of it makes me homesick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom