CS #573: Barriers and Obstructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
When harvested field corn is being stored, some farmers process the corn prior to storage in order to selectively remove any weed seed. If the seed is not removed, the price received at sale is less than the current market value. This wire mesh drum is placed in series with the truck (or grain buggy) and the auger that transports the corn to the silo. The mesh of the rotating drum is sized smaller than the corn kernels, but larger than the weed seed. The device invariably discards some smaller corn kernels and fragments, but my neighbor collects the weed seed enriched material to feed deer, raccoons, and birds (including our growing population of wild turkeys) during the winter.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When harvested field corn is being stored, some farmers process the corn prior to storage in order to selectively remove any weed seed. If the seed is not removed, the price received at sale is less than the current market value. This wire mesh drum is placed in series with the truck (or grain buggy) and the auger that transports the corn to the silo. The mesh of the rotating drum is sized smaller than the corn kernels, but larger than the weed seed. The device invariably discards some smaller corn kernels and fragments, but my neighbor collects the weed seed enriched material to feed deer, raccoons, and birds (including our growing population of wild turkeys) during the winter.

Now that's a good idea. I've never seen one before but then I'm not a farmer so perhaps they are being used here anyway.

Interesting :D

Perhaps a more illustrative image of Elvet Bridge impeding progress:

Looks like the arm on the back would make a nice catapult....Leo?

The biggest barrier/obstacle I’ve found this week is our weather – frequent scattered showers and storms. Yesterday, however, I was able to get in an hour at Rising Park before a 2.75” “sprinkle”. My plan was to either find an obstacle or to create a 2-D barrier within an image.

The area of the pond at the park is ~1.5 – 2 acres, but a walkway at the east end isolates a “puddle” about the size of a one-car garage. As luck would have it, all six of the ducks were staying in that part of the pond. I did get some nice images of the ducks, but separations and angles were not quite what I had hoped for the purposes of the planned image. Here’s my best result:

“What happened to the water over here?”

[If this is deemed inappropriate for the theme, please let me know – I’ll delete it.]

Some nice contributions.
I have some others to this theme, but we had a very hectic weekend, so I need some time to sort photos.
DSC_8742 by Harold, on Flickr

This barrier, mobile guardrail, is placed so that it should take the speed out of the race trucks towards the finish. My first photo was from the finish looking to where the bikes, cars and trucks came from. Nice place too to place my infrared eyes of the timing equipment.

An 'obstruction', these long aluminium poles were used to place an 'emergency exit' sign high up, one had a wifi antenna for a wifi network bridge in it. 4x4 Manitou forklift we rent for the week, it runs almost 12 hours a day to move everything around the dirt track.
Iphone SE
Untitled by Harold, on Flickr

A picture of the final run of the day. Gerard de Rooy, last years The Dakar winner, in his final run to set the best time. We had a heavy rain shower which turned a low point in the dirt track in an extra (yeah we build one) water/mud-pool (an obstruction of some sort I think). I was on top of the race control tower, with my 16-85, I used cropped 1.3 mode and cropped in post, so again, not art, but this is what 17.000 people came to see.
DSC_9441 by Harold, on Flickr

"Off the Wall"

A bowl has walls which are barriers to the contents getting out.
Was fascinated by the jello I just put in the refer and the way the edge
of the bowl made it look like the jello was trying to climb out the back side.
And that is just an optical effect the refer and the contents are level

However, remind me never to buy "Le Blob" brand jello again.
:):):)

This barrier will save you from a very nasty fall.

The biggest barrier/obstacle I’ve found this week is our weather – frequent scattered showers and storms. Yesterday, however, I was able to get in an hour at Rising Park before a 2.75” “sprinkle”. My plan was to either find an obstacle or to create a 2-D barrier within an image.

The area of the pond at the park is ~1.5 – 2 acres, but a walkway at the east end isolates a “puddle” about the size of a one-car garage. As luck would have it, all six of the ducks were staying in that part of the pond. I did get some nice images of the ducks, but separations and angles were not quite what I had hoped for the purposes of the planned image. Here’s my best result:

“What happened to the water over here?”

View attachment 1589849

[If this is deemed inappropriate for the theme, please let me know – I’ll delete it.]
The frame makes as good a barrier as any :D

Obstruction, the sheer crowd that gathers around the race trucks when they start up to do their run. They let it run for a while to heat up, then blow the airhorns when they crawl their way through the crowd towards the starting line.
View attachment 1589857DSC_9413 by Harold, on Flickr
More great contributions, thanks Harold :D

"Off the Wall"

View attachment 1589864

A bowl has walls which are barriers to the contents getting out.
Was fascinated by the jello I just put in the refer and the way the edge
of the bowl made it look like the jello was trying to climb out the back side.
And that is just an optical effect the refer and the contents are level

However, remind me never to buy "Le Blob" brand jello again.
:):):)
Nice one Ed :D

This barrier will save you from a very nasty fall.

Always useful :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom