CS #576 - Now and Then

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in an age where social, economic, and technological advances are progressing with ever increasing acceleration. We value “things” that are faster, smaller, cheaper, lighter, stronger, more efficient, safer, healthier, etc. In doing so, we tend to forget a fundamental law of nature – “There is no free lunch.” [A colloquial version of the Second Law of Thermodynamics]

Your task this week is to show us some thing(s) that are “not what they used to be” and tell us why you think that the current form is either better or worse than its predecessors. If possible, include a shot of “the old way”, and, if you like, briefly explain what we had to give up for the “advancement”.

Manufactured items are most obvious, but anything that is related to social, economic, or technological change is fair game. [Remember that political and/or religious contention are not allowed at NC.]

Please, keep within the Café and CS guidelines and submit only images made during the current CS time period which extends from NOW through midnight on Wednesday Nov 29.

Let me post the first image:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Still the BEST, except that a few decades ago the design
was altered to include a cone on the plunger end to create
a better seal.​

Let me post the first image:

View attachment 1591111

Still the BEST, except that a few decades ago the design
was altered to include a cone on the plunger end to create
a better seal.​
:DYep, between the plunger and the snake, continuous flow can be maintained in most situations. At one time, I saw an adapter for using a hose, but that never seemed to catch on.

It's hard to find maps printed on paper these days, but that's my preference. The newer vehicles come with built in GPS units and the rest of us have aftermarket GPS devices (or cell phone GPS apps). Yes, those are quite handy as long as the batteries are charged, and you don't mind occasional misinformation. [I can be sitting in my truck in front of my house, but this GPS unit directs me to Pleasantville (6 miles round trip)!] Thank you, but no thanks.
[Yes, it's a lousy shot, but the house is still disorganized after dinner for 4 families yesterday]

Flora and fauna guides: The internet has opened up a lot of resources but when you want to i.d. something you've seen, where do you start if you don't already know something about it? It can be tedious at best and for some groups like beetles, bugs or moths, the job is near impossible. On the other hand there are books which you can browse through to find and compare species side by side, not to mention that books are a pleasure to hold and use.
I think what you give up with modernization here is functionality. Fortunately the old survives alonside the new.

Larry

One of the best on-line bird sites: Cornell University.

Here's a guide whose $3.95 price tag gives you an idea as to how long I've had it. It's the only one I could find that was broken enough to stay open.

Most of my references which cover everything from fungi and lichens to mammals. You can never have too many :)

Last edited:
Flora and fauna guides: The internet has opened up a lot of resources but when you want to i.d. something you've seen, where do you start if you don't already know something about it? It can be tedious at best and for some groups like beetles, bugs or moths, the job is near impossible. On the other hand there are books which you can browse through to find and compare species side by side, not to mention that books are a pleasure to hold and use.
I htinkwhat you give up with modernization here is functionality. Fortunately the old survives alonside the new.

Larry

View attachment 1591132

Here's a guide whose $3.95 price tag gives you an idea as to how long I've had it. It's the only one I could find that was broken enough to stay open.
View attachment 1591136

Most of my references which cover everything from fungi and lichens to mammals. You can never have too many :)
View attachment 1591133
Sibley's book is my favorite for birds, but I have to agree that the Cornell site is darn good. I like Bugguide.com for insects, and it seems to be constantly improving. However, I still find moth identification frustrating -- maybe it's because I don't see many of the strictly nocturnal ones very often. Roger's mushrooms used to be reasonably good for fungi, but that site is no longer active.:(
I agree that one cannot have too many books, but they have to be relevant to "current interests". Unfortunately, most of mine pertain to chemistry, physics, engineering, and math.:rolleyes:

I htinkwhat you give up with modernization here is functionality. Fortunately the old survives alonside the new.

Larry

View attachment 1591132

View attachment 1591136

View attachment 1591133
It's amazing how much information we have at our fingertips with the internet, but finding it is always a challenge. Nice, descriptive set of shots Larry.

It's hard to find maps printed on paper these days, but that's my preference. The newer vehicles come with built in GPS units and the rest of us have aftermarket GPS devices (or cell phone GPS apps). Yes, those are quite handy as long as the batteries are charged, and you don't mind occasional misinformation. [I can be sitting in my truck in front of my house, but this GPS unit directs me to Pleasantville (6 miles round trip)!] Thank you, but no thanks.
[Yes, it's a lousy shot, but the house is still disorganized after dinner for 4 families yesterday]
Good comparison shot. For on the fly (during travel), I find the modern phone based GPSes, night and day better than the dedicated GPS units. With the added speed limits, traffic conditions, up-to-date redirection for construction, and current maps, they are invaluable.

I keep paper maps only as a backup, in case I'm out of range of a cell tower and have not planned properly (I usually print turn by turn directions before leaving on a trip where I need directions, and make sure I've pulled up the map on my phone, before leaving, when there is a cell signal, in cases where I'll be venturing in remote areas).

I love maps but I travel with a GPS, including one on my camera backpack when I walk so I can geotag my photos when I get home.

Larry

Old School For Me...

I love straight razors. I find that the shave is less irritating, closer, and the experience is much better than disposable or electric razors (for me). It takes much longer to shave, but the experience is much more enjoyable. I enjoy pampering myself with this simple ritual.

The shot has a disposable (Bic, I think) that I only use on travel, when I take only a carry on bag, and a Union Cutlery "Spike" 9/16" quarter hollow blade. I didn't realize that Union Cutlery made razors, but I guess they did a long time ago (looks like this is from the early 1900s).

Old School For Me...

View attachment 1591179

I love straight razors. I find that the shave is less irritating, closer, and the experience is much better than disposable or electric razors (for me). It takes much longer to shave, but the experience is much more enjoyable. I enjoy pampering myself with this simple ritual.

The shot has a disposable (Bic, I think) that I only use on travel, when I take only a carry on bag, and a Union Cutlery "Spike" 9/16" quarter hollow blade. I didn't realize that Union Cutlery made razors, but I guess they did a long time ago (looks like this is from the early 1900s).
Amazing, and you still have both your ears. Seriously, I use a lowly double blade disposable, but use shave soap like you do. Like the warm lather feel.

This one is so obvious I'm almost embarrassed to post it:

I'll admit that in this case I much prefer the new technology on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom