CS#578 - Local Icons

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Pawl, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:00 AM.

1. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Icon

1) A representative picture or image

2) A person who is the object of great attention or devotion

3) An enduring symbol​

A "Local Icon" is any of the above but specific to an area or region near YOU !

They are all around us but we often miss them or forget about them - Local Icons - be it a person, building, monument, natural landmark, statue, symbol or plaque with local significance.

Your task this week is to show us some local icons whatever you consider that to mean, here are a few examples to help you get a feel for this weeks topic:

Example 1 - a well known local person
    20171206120612_3128.

Example 2 - an art work or sculpture famous in it's own right
    20171206120612_3168.

Example 3 - a well known building
    20171206120612_3196.

There are of course many, many other possible subjects limited only by imagination.

Usual forum rules apply. Post only pictures taken during the time shoot frame which is right now from NOW through midnight on Wednesday 13-December. Limit of three pictures per post but you may post multiple times.

I’m looking forward to seeing what we all come up with. Good shooting!

2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Well Pawl,
    thank you for hosting a CS for the first time.

Kind regards
    Klaus

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Interesting challenge, Pawl. Off hand, I can't think of any iconic person, building, or event in this area that I have not shown before. That just means that I'm going to have to learn more;).
    BTW, who is the person represented in your first example?

4. Sounds like time for a . . . . selfie! :eek::D

• Wow Wow x 1
  5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    :DI thought of that, but, Nick, I have done "poly-Bob"** images here too. :D:D

**Multiple Bobs doing different things but all cut into a single background scene

6. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Hi Bob,
    Well as far as I know there is absolutely no problem posting something you've taken or shared before - as long as the photo was taken during the Collective Shoot period from now until midnight next Wednesday.
    Looking forward to seeing what you post :)

Ha! I just knew someone would think of that, and being the famous photographer you are Nick, of course your selfie would count ;) bring it on!

7. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Bob,
    No problemo "poly-Bobs" as long as they are newly minted photos are also welcomed :D
    The first example image is of a composer called Elgar him of variations fame.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:48 AM
  8. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    "Local Icons" includes things like your state flag, state symbol or locally based famous company or sign as long as it's fairly well known, and so on, that is it doesn't have to be about people if you find that hard, choose an inanimate local icon instead!

9. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Here Leo, now smile for the camera!

10. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Changing of the guard in front of my “castle”:

I started out picking up leaves, but the cold wind and snow flurries convinced me to fetch my snow shovel from the barn. [:oops:didn’t have the timer set right so I'd have time to conceal the ML-3:oops:]

DSC_5833_30sm.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Fine example and interesting theme Pawl. I’m away from home for a few more days, but will try to join in, when I get back.

12. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Creative idea for the theme, with the changing of the guard/season Bob.

13. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Hi Poly-Bobs :)
    Thank you for breaking the ice so to speak with your Poly-Bobs shot which as Paul says is an imaginative interpretation of the 'local icon' theme am glad you added the explanation as to the ML-3 as that explains how you managed to be in two places at once, thank you, have made note of the technique for future use (y)

14. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Glad you are happy with this week's CS theme Paul and I look forward to your interpretation.
    As we have nasty weather here I'm going to find it hard to add further entries myself for a day or two no worries on when you can post we understand life gets in the way of important matters such as CS photos :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks, Pawl. There are several different ways of doing this kind of shot -- I prefer using the ML-3 simply because it is "hands off" the camera. However, it can be done with an extended time delay (at least 15 seconds) or, (I think) by using the camera's intervalometer. Processing also can be done in different ways, but I like the simplicity of cloning from one image to the other.

16. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Thank you! I'm going to give this a whirl when the weather is nicer (it's hovering around zero here today with nasty hard+soft white stuff falling out of the skies periodically).

17. In 1787, Robert Burns visited Walker. To mark the centenary, the locals erected a statue. By the time of the bicentenary, less cultured locals had pretty much destroyed it. Now the park has been renovated, the statue has been restored:

1. WP_20171209_05.

2. WP_20171209_09.

3. There's a small replica in the cafe:
      WP_20171209_10.

18. Now if only the same could be done for the nearby memorial of "Honest Bob" Chambers:

1. WP_20171209_16.

2. WP_20171209_17.

19. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Brilliant example of a lovely local icon, am very impressed especially with the great write-up so we know what, or should that be who, we are looking at thank you for for sharing Robert Burns with us! (y) (Love the seasonal decoration on the café replica)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM
  20. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Very nice set Al!