CS #579 - Seasonal activities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every season is different, but our activities may be most festive at this time of year. It’s not just the decorations – leftovers from Halloween and Thanksgiving plus both residential and municipal Christmas lights, wreaths and trees. There’s also Christmas shopping with sales of most commercial goods; the increased availability of specialty foods; more in-home baking and cooking (especially seasonal foods and desserts); multiple religious and cultural celebrations; greater variety of seasonal entertainment (concerts, movies, TV, etc.); more charity; and enhanced attention to social relationships and family. Along with all of this come photography opportunities that are unique to the season.

Your assignment this week is to use your photography to document and report on what makes the season special. If you focus on religious celebrations, please remember that contentious statements are not allowed at the Café. All images must be taken within the time for this CS, which starts at midnight 12/13/17, and ends at midnight Wednesday, 12/20/17.

I had some errands to run in Lancaster one day last week, and snapped the following:

Charity (Both the photographer and the homeless man were moving for this one.:oops:)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seasonal activity (candlelight tour)

• Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
http://www.greenapple.com/~rcoutant/temp/DSC_4078sm.jpg

The bandstand in Zane Square (Christmas concert site)

Some from Newcastle's Xmas Market:

1. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The true meaning of the season???:):eek:

Yes, it starts a little earlier every year.​

We celebrate a traditional Christian Christmas and have an Advent calendar

(helps set the mood and anticipation especially for younger people?)

The other image for today involves the preparation of gifts for all our family and close friends

It may be commercial now-a-days but the look of joy when you give an especially well received present to someone is priceless!

Last edited:
Every season is different, but our activities may be most festive at this time of year. It’s not just the decorations – leftovers from Halloween and Thanksgiving plus both residential and municipal Christmas lights, wreaths and trees. There’s also Christmas shopping with sales of most commercial goods; the increased availability of specialty foods; more in-home baking and cooking (especially seasonal foods and desserts); multiple religious and cultural celebrations; greater variety of seasonal entertainment (concerts, movies, TV, etc.); more charity; and enhanced attention to social relationships and family. Along with all of this come photography opportunities that are unique to the season.

Your assignment this week is to use your photography to document and report on what makes the season special. If you focus on religious celebrations, please remember that contentious statements are not allowed at the Café. All images must be taken within the time for this CS, which starts at midnight 12/13/17, and ends at midnight Wednesday, 12/20/17.

I had some errands to run in Lancaster one day last week, and snapped the following:

Charity (Both the photographer and the homeless man were moving for this one.:oops:)

Seasonal activity (candlelight tour)

The bandstand in Zane Square (Christmas concert site)

Good theme choice for this time of the year. I hope I can squeeze in some time to play.

We celebrate a traditional Christian Christmas and have an Advent calendar
View attachment 1592432
(helps set the mood and anticipation especially for younger people?)

The other image for today involves the preparation of gifts for all our family and close friends
View attachment 1592433

It may be commercial now-a-days but the look of joy when you give an especially well received present to someone is priceless!
Nice composition for the shots. The Advent calendar brings back childhood memories.

Funny that they still have a Labor Day sign still up. Lots of commercialization everywhere, but I still enjoy the spirit of the season.
Yes, we seem to be able to embrace both aspects of the season while acknowledging their separate goals.

Baking goes into high gear during this time of year...

Decorating the tree, wrapping presents, and then placing them under the tree (some early like this to just tease us)...

[I'm so tempted to squeeze that top box... I've got some photo gear on my Christmas list...it looks like the right size...]

I thought we might see your mom in the kitchen -- I'll bet she had a hand with that tree and gifts too.;)
Yeah, she loves to cook, and I love to eat her treats. For Christmas, she makes several cookies and candies and sends them to each of the boys. With her living here, I usually get some extras. :) Today she was making and then baking a Rye bread.

Yeah, she loves to cook, and I love to eat her treats. For Christmas, she makes several cookies and candies and sends them to each of the boys. With her living here, I usually get some extras. :) Today she was making and then baking a Rye bread.
My grandmother used to make fruit cake, mince pie, and cookies (by the breadbox full) at this time of year. Not many people do that anymore.:(

My grandmother used to make fruit cake, mince pie, and cookies (by the breadbox full) at this time of year. Not many people do that anymore.:(
Yeah, I’m hoping my daughter continues the tradition of homemade cookies, candies, and treats. She has been doing some things, like making and decorating cakes for birthdays, making special desserts for holiday gatherings, and has actively helped her grandma make Pizzelles and some other ethnic foods.

It’s really great to see the love put into foods and the carrying on of traditions.

I live in Bloomington, a suburb of St. George. Every year they decorate the roundabout leading in from the freeway. This was the view from last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom