CS #583 - It's All About Me

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by NEF Said, Jan 10, 2018.

1. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    I'm hoping this will prove to be a fun collective shoot for folks...

The goal is to take shots that are about you (not me, silly), so no problem finding a subject or one that you are not familiar with! ;) Think of the shoot from your perspective.

This could include shots of you, your interests and hobbies (outside of photography), your favorite foods/drinks, your favorite places, the work you do, things that you are good at, and so on.

Indoors/outdoors - wherever you'd like. Day, night, dawn, or dusk - whenever you'd like.

Bonus points, if you can pick something each day. Double bonus points, if you can show us something about you that we don't know about. Huge (virtual) prizes may be awarded! :D

Normal Collective Shoot rules apply (key ones shown here):
    • Submit up to 3 shots per post, as many as you want per day.
    • Shots must be taken from midnight January 10th to midnight January 17th, your local time.
    • For easier viewing, keep shots 1600 pixels or less on the longest edge.
    • Posts rated "E" for everyone.
    • Be respectful and courteous of others, when commenting on shots.
    • Have fun!
    So, clear your calendar, put on your thinking caps, charge your batteries, and get ready for this CS!

I'll be watching! :)

2. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Rise and shine! Time to start taking some shots for the CS folks!!!!

3. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Me...

cs-583-0088.

Blonde hair (which eventually had turned to dirty blonde and in some areas is salt and pepper), blue eyes (you may notice the contacts), and very fair complexion. My mustache has some red hair, and if I let my beard grow (I haven't in a long time) it would be mostly red (maybe greyer now). Yes, it doesn't take much of an eyebrow raise to create a wrinkled forehead. :)

Pretty rare photo. I'm usually taking pictures and almost all shots I have of me are with a camera held up to my face. I'm enjoying the D750. It is way lighter than the D700, but still pretty awkward to do selfies, free handed. Guess I could try hooking it to an iPad and use a tripod...nah...too much work to do today.

4. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Sounds interesting, hope t join in

5. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Looking forward to your shots Ed!

6. I've been needing a more up-to-date avatar, so maybe this will spur me to do it.

7. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nice to "see" you Paul! Interesting theme for the CS.

About me... well, I recently returned to shaving with a double-edge safety razor for the second time. First time I did not take the time nor do the research and had a less-than-desirable experience. This time around, much better. Ever since leaving DE shaving when I entered the military, I had problems with my neck being irritated from shaving. Disposables, multi-edge blades, different styles of electric - it didn't matter. Over the years it worsened, and here in the last few it looked like someone threw caustic chemicals on my neck each time I shaved. The nasty splotchy red irritation is now gone. Still trying different soaps and blades and razors to find the best combo. It's been a strangely enjoyable process so far.

original.

8. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Super shot Gordon, and very interesting story about your shaving adventures. I like the B&W treatment.

Very much parallels what happened to me, with irritation from disposables/electrics. I was planning on posting some of my shaving story as well. Will have to post some shots.

9. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks Paul. As I recall, you use a straight-edge? Looking forward to the story and photos.

10. One of my passions is art. I can't draw or paint so I study it and have been fortunate to collect some pieces. I seem to have ended up with a collection of mostly early 20th century Canadian pieces. The oil sketch (the panel is about 10.5" tall) below is by one of Canada's impressionists, Franklin Peleg Brownell. It was painted in Quebec, likely around 1915.

Larry

DSC_0819 copy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. That's an interesting painting, and you did an excellent job of photographing it.

12. Thanks Jim. It was an opportunity to re-remember how to set a custom white balance and take a picture using live-view, silent shutter and focus peaking with a manual lens.

Larry

13. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Yes, did double edge for several years (and still do, if I travel). Decided to give straight edge a shot and enjoy it. It is harder to master, and slower, but I like that aspect of taking more time and pampering myself. More of a ritual that a morning duty. It has an old-school charm, and is a hobby in and of itself, when you get into sharpening your own blades. Great satisfaction in being able to restore some beat up razor you find, or bring back a razor into a well performing shaver.

14. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Very nice shot Larry. I've always been amazed by how people can make such realistic paintings. It really takes some skill to get the proportions right, especially with some types of paintings.

Granted, I just can't wrap my head around some art, like abstract pieces. :)

15. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Great idea Larry, I should try doing Live View more... with my new camera that'll be easier. Writing this down!

16. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Very cool. Nice color and details visible. Slice of life at the time.

17. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Larry,
    +1

18. good composition. Fortunately for me electric works just fine. :)

Larry

19. Fiveby

Fiveby

Dec 28, 2008
    Centerville OH
    Not exactly me, but what I live with. We each have our hobbies. A few years ago, as part of his mid-life crisis, my hubby wanted to get a guitar. He has 3 guitars, a PRS, a Martin Acoustic and now the Gibson Les Paul (he traded in the Epiphone we bought 3 years ago for it). He's always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, so when an opportunity arose to get him one, I wasn't going to argue.

I guess I now need a 3rd camera to keep up with him (or more lenses :))

mark's new toy January 11, 2018.

20. I like your logic Lori!!!

• Like Like x 1