CS #585 - Burns Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, the Anniversary of Scotland's Bard rolls around, so this week's theme is anything Burns inspired

Memorials and statuary:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(There are a surprising number around)

Or anything inspired by his poems

See here for inspiration.

Usual rules apply...

Last edited:
An 18th century Scottish poet isn't much of a concept on this side of the pond except on New Year's eve and perhaps remembering a mouse from school days.

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in june;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That’s sweetly play'd in tune:

Too cold, rainy, and windy yesterday, so no photos. I did have time to read a little about Burns, and one thing that caught my attention was his description of his approach to composing lyrics. Burns described how he had to master singing the tune before he composed the words:

“My way is: I consider the poetic sentiment, correspondent to my idea of the musical expression, then chuse my theme, begin one stanza, when that is composed—which is generally the most difficult part of the business—I walk out, sit down now and then, look out for objects in nature around me that are in unison or harmony with the cogitations of my fancy and workings of my bosom, humming every now and then the air with the verses I have framed. when I feel my Muse beginning to jade, I retire to the solitary fireside of my study, and there commit my effusions to paper, swinging, at intervals, on the hind-legs of my elbow chair, by way of calling forth my own critical strictures, as my, pen goes.”

I was struck by the parallels with recommendations for composition of photographic images (and other art forms too). Burns probably would have been a pretty good photographer.;)

The best laid plans o' mice and men gangs aft agley:

(Quads really shouldn't be overtaken by doubles...)

Burns appreciated the marvels of nature, and addressed flora and fauna in many of his poems. I’m sure he would have been interested in the “magic” of these daffodil sprouts. Last week, this spot was under a foot of snow and air temperatures were as low as 3°F – pure Scottish fortitude.

Burns appreciated the marvels of nature, and addressed flora and fauna in many of his poems. I’m sure he would have been interested in the “magic” of these daffodil sprouts. Last week, this spot was under a foot of snow and air temperatures were as low as 3°F – pure Scottish fortitude.

Amazing to see any green at this time of year. Well spotted and shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom