CS #588 - Songs and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Collective Shoot # 588
February 15-21, 2018

Where you post pictures taken between Thursday starting at 12:00AM (your time zone) running thru Midnight of the following Wednesday (your time zone).

I decided to start this a bit early since I'm on the west coast of the US (Pacific time) and thought members out east and further out east would appreciate the ability to start shooting soon!

The theme this week: SONGS AND MOVIES
Post pictures that suggest the name of a SONG or a MOVIE. A few archived shots will get your creative juices flowing.

When I’m 64
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There’s a bad moon on the rise (Thanks Karen for the idea!)

The graduate

For whom the bell tolls

Dark as a Dungeon

Remember only pictures taken between 12:00am Thursday (Feb 15, 2018) and Wednesday 12:00 midnight (February 21, 2018) your local time should be shared.

Great examples and interesting theme! I just have to put on my thinking cap, so that I don't translate that literally (as I have a large collection of movies)...

"Dragonfly" Fleetwood Mack, 1971. An exuvia I haven't keyed out yet.

Larry

Last edited:
Super shot Larry! By stack, do you mean you're doing focus stacking? Is that because of a shallow DoF being used or some other reason?
(I guess I need to look up that technique...)
Thanks Paul

Correct, because of shallow DOF. I used the auto focus shift on a D850 (105mm f2.8 at f8 and focus step width of 2; 36 images, subject thickness about 14mm I didn't get as close as I could have - reproduction ration about 1:1.9 I used the free stacking program CombineZP. Before I had the D850 I'd just manually focus through a subject.

Larry

Cool. I think I only tried that once, but with a larger scene and didn't really notice much of a difference - probably did it wrong. :)

Money - Pink Floyd

Trying out my new (to me) 50mm f1.4G and 12mm Kenko extension tube (also new to me).

Nice shot Paul. I'm going to have that song stuck in my head - - until the next one comes along. I have a set of Kenko tubes but need to spend more time with them.
Are there any books or guides to using them? I got mine used (off the Cafe Marketplace) without any manual included. Was wondering how to tell which ones to use with which lenses, any practical guidelines (thought I saw something about stopping down more to improve DoF), etc. I looked at the Kenko site and didn't see any manuals.

Are there any books or guides to using them? I got mine used (off the Cafe Marketplace) without any manual included. Was wondering how to tell which ones to use with which lenses, any practical guidelines (thought I saw something about stopping down more to improve DoF), etc. I looked at the Kenko site and didn't see any manuals.
There are plenty of on-line resources on using extension tubes. Depth of field shrinks to near paper thin slices at high magnifications eg 50mm of tubes on a 50mm lens. Don't be tempted to stop down too much because you'll run into diffraction softening at some point. It's best to run a test shooting the same subject at all apertures to see what's acceptable sharpness for you. If you need more depth of field you'll be stacking.

Larry

Sailing - C. Cross

Very nice shot West!
Willard Bond Paintings (Sailing - C.Cross)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom