CS #589 - Initials

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be an easy one for folks... Here's how it goes...

Take your initials from either your real name or your Nikon Cafe name and use them as the subject matter for your photos. For example, my Cafe name is NEF Said, so I could use only N, only S, or either N or S as the first letters for words that I would use as my subjects.

In this example, I could shoot a night picture, a picture of a notebook, neighbor, or nut. A picture of saucer, saw, or sad person. The pictures don't have to be of tangible objects.

You can make things more challenging, by only using one of the initials (instead of two, or if you have them, three initials). If you want, you can announce the letter(s) you'll use at the start of the CS and then stick to that choice throughout.

If you get stuck... Webster and others can be used to help you come up with words.

Standard Collective Shoot guidelines apply, including:
  • Only submit pictures taken from midnight tonight (Feb 21st) your local time, through midnight next Wednesday (Feb 28th) your local time.
  • Submit photos as often as you want, but limit each post to no more than 3 photos.
  • Don't post ginormous photos (max 1600 pixels on long edge).
  • If you'd like critique, mark that as the prefix of your post.
  • E for Everyone rated photos.
  • And especially... have fun!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with...especially if you have you have difficult initials!

I'll use my first and middle initials for this Collective Shoot, so P and C (my wife and a few friends uses PC as my nickname :).

Hi Paul, interesting CS theme
If you want, you can announce the letter(s) you'll use at the start of the CS and then stick to that choice throughout.
Will give it a whirl and choose my initials P and G and see how that pans out.

Pizzelle Cookies
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An aromatic Italian cookie that my mom makes every year. It's one of those cookies you either love or hate - I'm in the former category on this one. :)

Uuuuug,, my first run through with T. P. was not good, need to kick my imagination into gear .
Don't overthink it Tom... you can choose words that start with T or with P as subjects for the photos. Toy, top, tennis, tightrope, tiger, thick, tough, thatch,... pancake, plum, purple, pliers, pogo-stick, penny, playful, ...

You can just pick one word, or multiple. If you want to challenge yourself, you can try to pick something that has both, like my Pizzelle Cookies.

Or, you could think of some theme, and try to pick words from that theme (e.g. say you want to do flowers, you could use the common or latin name for flowers that have the letter T or P as first letter). People could even try to guess your theme from the pictures.

Or challenge yourself by trying to find three syllable words that start with the letters.

Make it as easy or hard as you want...based on your photography interests and time.

I liked the Blue of this nuthatch as it perched on the "Cookie" station.;)

An old camera bag that I'm considering changing over to a fly fishing gear/tackle bag.
** PR (personal initials)

Last edited:
Nice shot West! I was wondering how the bag fit in too, as I didn't know your initials. Creative shot getting the actual initials in the shot - which is even harder than words that begin with one of the letters in your initials.

For folks who may be fuzzy on the theme... essentially just take your initials, in West's case P and R, decide on words that start with either of those letters, and shoot pictures that represent either or both words.

West could use, say, pizza, as a choice for P and shoot a picture of a pizza, pizza delivery truck, etc. In another shot, he could use row for the letter R and shoot a picture of a rowboat, rows of seats in a stadium, etc.

He could try to find two words, one with P and one with R and shoot a photo that contained both.

He could select some theme, and try to pick words that begin with P or R that would fit in that theme. Say it was nautical, he could choose row, pontoon, rough (as in seas), pool (of water), rising (sun), pier,...

He could shoot pictures of things shaped like a P or an R (I can't think of any).

The chosen words don't have to be of physical objects, they can abstract words (feelings, actions, etc), represented in the photos. Pretty, precocious, running, ready,...

I hope that clarifies things for folks...

Puzzle Correct!

I got lucky and found another case where I could use both initials in a single photo. My mom does the Crossword, Cryptoquip, and Sudoko puzzles almost every day. The next day, she checks the puzzles against the answers. For the Crossword puzzle, she will write a C, when she gets the puzzle right. Here, you can see she started doing it on the Sudoko puzzle (upper left), as well.

Cool shot :D

Technically, she doesn't need to do that for the Sudoku: if it's a proper one there is only one solution, so if she gets it, it's right. ;)
Yeah, though she can't always solve the whole Sudoku, so she checks each quadrant and puts a C by the ones that are right. In the picture, she didn't figure out the bottom right box and the top three boxes. :( But, she likes the satisfaction of getting it partially correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom