CS #601 - Center Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hello there! Remember me? :D

It has been over a year since I last hosted a Collective Shoot. Come to think of it, it’s also been more than a year since I’ve posted a photo anywhere in the Café! Hate to say it, but I’ve been in a slump. :(

However!

That ends today because I’m happy to announce that I am hosting...

CS#601 – CENTER STAGE
:)
We all are familiar with the Rule of Thirds. For this week’s CS, however, I want everyone to disregard that rule and instead post photos that where the subject appears in the middle of the frame. Now, that doesn’t mean that you just point and shoot something that just happens to be in the middle of your viewfinder. Make it interesting; be creative! Anything goes, but remember, your main subject takes front and center.

Here is a link that speaks to ‘center stage’ images.

Front and Center: Breaking the Rule of Thirds in Photography - ALC

...and here are a couple of examples to get you started.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the interest of full disclosure, the example photos were not taken today and are for illustrative purposes only. All other photos posted must align with our guidelines of capturing images within the timeframe of the CS, which is from now until midnight, Wednesday, May 23rd.

Soooo, with that – Happy Shooting!! :p

Last edited:
Lyndee, those examples are so well balanced that the "whole thing" is the subject with no need for implied direction -- excellent. Even with the tulips, where there are strong directing lines, the direction is normal to the plane of the image, e.g., 3-D.

Good timing -- my very first iris of the year opened this morning. IMHO, flower close-ups should be centered. [shot not cropped]

Good timing -- my very first iris of the year opened this morning. IMHO, flower close-ups should be centered. [shot not cropped]
That's a cracking shot Bob. Beautiful colour. I generally agree with you re positioning of flowers in close-ups. You're braver than me with the amount of space you gave at the bottom of this one though!

Ron

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee, those examples are so well balanced that the "whole thing" is the subject with no need for implied direction -- excellent. Even with the tulips, where there are strong directing lines, the direction is normal to the plane of the image, e.g., 3-D.
Bob, you flatter me. Thank you so much for the compliment; I appreciate it!

Great theme, Lyndee! My photos will be mostly if not entirely of my sun room. Ironically, lighting conditions in it are most suited for photography when it's not sunny, which is predicted to be the case for the next few days.

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Perhaps not the best we are going to see this week but she's in the middle and she didn't move. My daughter's dog, a good rescue.

Rescued by warth man, on Flickr
And such a patient model, she is! I see she didn’t move a muscle, LOL! This is a great photo, Ron. And you nailed the subject dead center. Well done!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Great theme, Lyndee! My photos will be mostly if not entirely of my sun room. Ironically, lighting conditions in it are most suited for photography when it's not sunny, which is predicted to be the case for the next few days.

View attachment 1602598
Mike, those flowers are just lovely. I especially like it against the white background of your sunroom. It serves to make the flowers pop!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee, great to see you! Hope I can come up with something interesting?
Hi Ed! :D

Glad to see you again, and if there’s one thing I know, it’s that you will definitely come up with something interesting, LOL! Now get out there and start shooting! :ROFLMAO:

My nemesis (or, at least one of them)

We have many patches of peonies including white, pink, and red singles and doubles. This dark red is always the first to bloom, which means that I almost always attempt to photograph it, and I’m never completely happy with the results. I like the color, but size, symmetry, and composition are never quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom