1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #601 - Center Stage

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by JusPlainCrayzee, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Hello there! Remember me? :D 

It has been over a year since I last hosted a Collective Shoot. Come to think of it, it’s also been more than a year since I’ve posted a photo anywhere in the Café! Hate to say it, but I’ve been in a slump. :( 

However!

That ends today because I’m happy to announce that I am hosting...

CS#601 – CENTER STAGE
    :) 
    We all are familiar with the Rule of Thirds. For this week’s CS, however, I want everyone to disregard that rule and instead post photos that where the subject appears in the middle of the frame. Now, that doesn’t mean that you just point and shoot something that just happens to be in the middle of your viewfinder. Make it interesting; be creative! Anything goes, but remember, your main subject takes front and center.

Here is a link that speaks to ‘center stage’ images.

Front and Center: Breaking the Rule of Thirds in Photography - ALC

...and here are a couple of examples to get you started.

i-jZLgj7C-L.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/16.0    1/25s    ISO 200

i-JbL6BcJ-L.
    NIKON D300    ---    50mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    ISO 200

i-LP6x5CG-L.
    "E-M10"    "OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R"          1/15s   

In the interest of full disclosure, the example photos were not taken today and are for illustrative purposes only. All other photos posted must align with our guidelines of capturing images within the timeframe of the CS, which is from now until midnight, Wednesday, May 23rd.

Soooo, with that – Happy Shooting!! :p 

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great theme Lyndee.

Thank you for hosting this CS.

Kind regards
    Klaus

3. Great idea and I am hoping to get out and take part!

BTW, welcome back! :) 

4. JusPlainCrayzee

Your very welcome, Klaus! :) 

5. JusPlainCrayzee

Thank you! And I'm looking forward to your photos!

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Lyndee, those examples are so well balanced that the "whole thing" is the subject with no need for implied direction -- excellent. Even with the tulips, where there are strong directing lines, the direction is normal to the plane of the image, e.g., 3-D.

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Good timing -- my very first iris of the year opened this morning. IMHO, flower close-ups should be centered. [shot not cropped]
    DSC_4288sm.
    NIKON D200    ---    145mm    f/11.0    1/40s    ISO 320

• Like Like x 2
  8. Interesting theme Lyndee - my thinking cap is on. I've been having my own slump. Perhaps CS will help to kick me out of it.

Ron

9. That's a cracking shot Bob. Beautiful colour. I generally agree with you re positioning of flowers in close-ups. You're braver than me with the amount of space you gave at the bottom of this one though!

Ron

10. JusPlainCrayzee

Bob, you flatter me. Thank you so much for the compliment; I appreciate it!

11. JusPlainCrayzee

This is glorious! And I absolutely agree in that flower close ups should be centered for full effect. You have truly knocked this one out of the ballpark - well done!

12. JusPlainCrayzee

I certainly hope so, Ron and I understand how tough it can be to overcome a slump. We can do it, however; I know we can! :D 

13. Perhaps not the best we are going to see this week but she's in the middle and she didn't move. My daughter's dog, a good rescue.

41275520915_823f87bac1_b. Rescued by warth man, on Flickr

14. Great theme, Lyndee! My photos will be mostly if not entirely of my sun room. Ironically, lighting conditions in it are most suited for photography when it's not sunny, which is predicted to be the case for the next few days.

Mike 2018-05-17--004-S.
    NIKON D7000    35.0 mm f/2.0    35mm    f/11.0    1/1s    ISO 100

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  15. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Lyndee, great to see you! Hope I can come up with something interesting?

16. JusPlainCrayzee

And such a patient model, she is! I see she didn’t move a muscle, LOL! This is a great photo, Ron. And you nailed the subject dead center. Well done!

17. JusPlainCrayzee

Mike, those flowers are just lovely. I especially like it against the white background of your sunroom. It serves to make the flowers pop!

18. JusPlainCrayzee

Hi Ed! :D 

Glad to see you again, and if there’s one thing I know, it’s that you will definitely come up with something interesting, LOL! Now get out there and start shooting! :ROFLMAO: 

19. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Beautiful,Mike [but I can't find the wine bottle label:confused: ]

20. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    My nemesis (or, at least one of them)

We have many patches of peonies including white, pink, and red singles and doubles. This dark red is always the first to bloom, which means that I almost always attempt to photograph it, and I’m never completely happy with the results. I like the color, but size, symmetry, and composition are never quite right.
    DSC_4289sm.
    NIKON D200    ---    95mm    f/11.0    1/20s    ISO 800

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.