CS #625 - Fun and Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Paul
View attachment 1625596

Many times my idea of having fun involves simply getting an idea for a photo and then spending some time experimenting to see what happens.... I usually get totally absorbed in this and somehow time just sort of disappears while I'm all wrapped up in whatever it is I'm trying out. I can easily spend an hour or more on just one subject as I explore the different ways of approaching it. Sometimes inspiration doesn't come -- it's not something which can be forced -- and I have learned that when I've got some time and when an idea pops into my head, that it's a good thing to take advantage of this and of course a great way to have some fun and let the world and all its problems just go away for a while. Case in point: this afternoon all of a sudden I started thinking about something I'd like to shoot and experiment with, and then realized, hey, no time like the present.....

(Had to delete and replace the image as i realized I'd posted the wrong one! LOL!)
Great perspective on fun. Cool shot.

Thanks, Eric and Paul! Another way I have fun is to attend concerts of one of my favorite singers, which I did just this past Friday, but unfortunately photography is not permitted during the performance and even if it were I was not in the front row, which would have been great, but instead a few rows back and would've been shooting between and over other people's heads, not cool!

Today's image was very spontaneous and i think I probably did spend almost an hour on playing around with the subject and seeing what happened when I approached it from different angles, changed the positing, shifted the lighting a bit, etc., etc. It was definitely fun!

It is also fun seeing others' images here, too, and how they have fun! Good theme....

D

Deleted member 13580

I was unable to log in as my old self "JustEd" Have sent a message to admin, this is a new identity........ANYWAY:

e4fBB-AJeeakJ0Qx-BL9w5Ekhya-dH1aaZ2saEjV8BUj5WL0vixF8xL8TylQvmqxZT3HQYo27lo8DXhN05=w999-h1280-no.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My ham radio hooked up to "America Link" on the Wires X. That is a proprietary digital
communication mode by Yaesu. The link connects around the world using the internet with
access via local radio nodes. There are people on from UK, Canada, Western Europe and Australia
on a regular basis (ok American's too). If there is a nearby node it requires very little power
to get awesome audio.

ps: Ham radio operation requires a license through the FCC in the US. Not hard to get
though. HECK! they even gave me one:p

I was unable to log in as my old self "JustEd" Have sent a message to admin, this is a new identity........ANYWAY:

View attachment 1625682

My ham radio hooked up to "America Link" on the Wires X. That is a proprietary digital
communication mode by Yaesu. The link connects around the world using the internet with
access via local radio nodes. There are people on from UK, Canada, Western Europe and Australia
on a regular basis (ok American's too). If there is a nearby node it requires very little power
to get awesome audio.

ps: Ham radio operation requires a license through the FCC in the US. Not hard to get

Very cool shot (and hobby!), Ed. I can remember - more years ago than I'd prefer to count:eek: - when the shortwave radio I had was the most magical thing ever!

I do enjoy exploring in my Polaris Ace, many of my opportunities for nice landscape shots a present themselves while riding around the desert. I've carried a number of Nikon DSLR's over thousands of miles in the dust and heat and rough terrain, none has ever skipped a beat.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I do enjoy exploring in my Polaris Ace, many of my opportunities for nice landscape shots a present themselves while riding around the desert. I've carried a number of Nikon DSLR's over thousands of miles in the dust and heat and rough terrain, none has ever skipped a beat.

View attachment 1625724

View attachment 1625725

Your ATV and your camera make for a great combo - and you're in a perfect place to enjoy them!

Ok, this is a sort of lame shot, or at best a shot of convenience. South-East side of Greenland from 34,000 feet from a Delta Boeing 767. On our way back from Belgium/Amsterdam.
I do like to travel, but as with most of us, I seldom if ever, appear in any of the pictures.

IMG_2939_DxO.jpg

I enjoy watching birds come to my feeder:

_D728894-L.jpg

but I especially enjoy watching squirrels try to figure out how the birds do it :LOL:.

_D728904-XL.jpg

Ok, this is a sort of lame shot, or at best a shot of convenience. South-East side of Greenland from 34,000 feet from a Delta Boeing 767. On our way back from Belgium/Amsterdam.
I do like to travel, but as with most of us, I seldom if ever, appear in any of the pictures.

View attachment 1625732

Very cool, Nick. Even at 34,000', you're not far from the Café!

Nice shot of that handsome little titmouse, Jim. Back in my Kansas days, I went to DEFCON 3 vs. the squirrels at my bird feeders.:D Thankfully, not a problem out here!

Thanks, Eric. The squirrels would be a BIG problem here, but that Squirrel Buster feeder really keeps them shut out, and provides some entertainment as they try to get in!

---------------------------------------------

Oops! I just realized those shots were made just out of the time frame for this week's shoot...kick 'em out if you wish. I just downloaded them from the camera card last night and was processing them this morning, so I didn't think about when they were made. :oops::sorry:

Last edited:
Thanks, Eric. The squirrels would be a BIG problem here, but that Squirrel Buster feeder really keeps them shut out, and provides some entertainment as they try to get in!

---------------------------------------------

Oops! I just realized those shots were made just out of the time frame for this week's shoot...kick 'em out if you wish. I just downloaded them from the camera card last night and was processing them this morning, so I didn't think about when they were made. :oops::sorry:

No worries, Jim - completely understandable and . . . if any one of our members has qualified for a (slight) mulligan, it's gotta be you.;)

Although it's been quite a while since I've dusted this off (as is obvious in the snap below :eek:), I have been known to use this item as a noise maker in my spare time.

original.jpg

View attachment 1625682

to get awesome audio.

Cool photo and interesting hobby. I have a good friend who is an avid Ham radio hobbyist so I'll ask him about this when I see him Thursday.

Another thing I enjoy doing is watching the Canada geese, Mallard ducks and occasional GBH that hang around our little lake. Every now and then we also get different visitors, and I love doing as I did yesterday, spotting a new and different creature, grabbing the camera and running out to my deck to fire away. Unfortunately it was raining yesterday so remained on my covered deck rather than going down to the boardwalk to get closer. Some shots didn't come out well, but managed to snag one of the four Hooded Mergansers in this (heavily cropped) image....

Hooded Merganser.jpg

Another thing I enjoy doing is watching the Canada geese, Mallard ducks and occasional GBH that hang around our little lake. Every now and then we also get different visitors, and I love doing as I did yesterday, spotting a new and different creature, grabbing the camera and running out to my deck to fire away. Unfortunately it was raining yesterday so remained on my covered deck rather than going down to the boardwalk to get closer. Some shots didn't come out well, but managed to snag one of the four Hooded Mergansers in this (heavily cropped) image....

View attachment 1625871

Connie - "Hoodies" are among my faves! What elegant little creatures they are!

I was really surprised when I saw the four of them swimming around here yesterday! I wish that the weather had been more cooperative so that I could have run down to the boardwalk and gotten better shots -- also , clearer and brighter light conditions would have made a huge difference, too. They're elegant, indeed, and also can be rather frisky, too. I had fun watching them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom