CS #626 - Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting shot. What's the heat exchanger for?
CS #626 - Blue

It's for one step in our process. We extract Zinc from roasted Zinc ore by solving it in acid in our part of the factory. The solution with ZnSO4 in it is transported to the next part, where with electrolysis the Zinc is collected.

On MacRumors they have a "POTD" thread in which members can participate; the rules are a bit loose, though, in that one can post a brand-new image every day or can post only when he or she is inspired and has an image to share...... In addition, older images from someone's archives are welcome, too. Back in the summer I started casually sharing images from my archives and eventually that got me into a pattern of wanting to share -- AND, more importantly, to shoot something new and fresh, and I began doing so. Even at that, there are still days when I'm busy and haven't had a chance to even think about shooting a picture but yet I want to keep up the momentum so I dig around in my archives and pull out something interesting to share or from time to time I simply don't submit anything. This somewhat looser structure has proved to be very useful for me, and I would guess to other members there who seem to participate on a regular basis. Some people participate sporadically, others every day. One woman is actually using the thread to share her actual POTD images that she's been doing throughout 2018. Since MacRumors as a whole is not a forum specifically focused on photography, there are no individual POTD threads established by various members. The photography subform is pretty active, though.

Another thing they do there is to have a weekly competition based on a theme, and each week members share their images -- one image only -- and again, both new and older archived images are welcome as long as they meet the stated competition topic. At the end of the week the thread starter/topic developer (the winner of the previous week's competition) reviews all the entries and selects the top three. Some people have trouble with this and end up choosing many more than three winners, tossing in honorable mentions and such. Although it is encouraged that the "judge" offer critique and useful tips for all the entries, that is another stumbling block for many and some don't do this, just say that they liked all the entries, etc., etc. Everyone just kind of goes with the flow, nothing is hard-and-fast there. The running joke among participants in the weekly competitions is that no one really wants to be the winner -- everyone is happier being in second or third place so that then they aren't faced with dealing with the dreaded judging!

I brought this up because I was thinking that maybe it is time to loosen up the rules here about submitting images shot only during the specific time period of a given week...... Do you all think that allowing older images which still meet the week's topic might increase participation in the CS and encourage more people to add their contributions?

Indeed, current and not a competition is what makes it fun. Stories behind pix are discussed and nobody cries ‘off topic’.

More blue... There is a big store in the village I work. They sell shipping container loads of garden furniture in summer and xmas stuff in these months, besides their usual cheap Chinese made stuff like clothes, tools, bikes, garden equipment etc etc. This was just a tiny part of the blue xmas decoration section.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by Harold, on Flickr

More blue... There is a big store in the village I work. They sell shipping container loads of garden furniture in summer and xmas stuff in these months, besides their usual cheap Chinese made stuff like clothes, tools, bikes, garden equipment etc etc. This was just a tiny part of the blue xmas decoration section.
View attachment 1626408Untitled by Harold, on Flickr
Good catch!

They're now resurfacing the lit of the heat exchanger.
View attachment 1626409Untitled by Harold, on Flickr
This was early this morning, before they started working on it, so the cutting tool isn't in the holder.
Cool!

No worries, it was just a thought I had -- I didn't mean that we should make this a competition, either, was just mentioning that along with the other -- it's just how one site does things, doesn't mean we have to follow suit. I also belatedly realize that I should have posted my thoughts in the CS Discussion thread rather than this one -- apologies for that, too, guys! :)

No worries, it was just a thought I had -- I didn't mean that we should make this a competition, either, was just mentioning that along with the other -- it's just how one site does things, doesn't mean we have to follow suit. I also belatedly realize that I should have posted my thoughts in the CS Discussion thread rather than this one -- apologies for that, too, guys! :)
No problem. The idea is good, but CS should stay CS. It's fun to look around to oblige that weeks theme without pressure. I'm not a big photo poster, I do not like competition or judging much although I do understand it's benefit. I do however like stories or learn about new things others interest.

I almost missed this shoot. The dreaded cold season has hit me hard this week, but I decided that I could take a photo of a blue box of kleenex to match my blue mood. Paul, I'm sorry for your sad news. Hopefully something turns up for you very soon!! I'm sorry about the very uninspiring submission, but wanted to at least say hello. I've actually had a good time reading and resting so it's not all bad here.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I almost missed this shoot. The dreaded cold season has hit me hard this week, but I decided that I could take a photo of a blue box of kleenex to match my blue mood. Paul, I'm sorry for your sad news. Hopefully something turns up for you very soon!! I'm sorry about the very uninspiring submission, but wanted to at least say hello. I've actually had a good time reading and resting so it's not all bad here.View attachment 1626451
Take care of that cold and send me some Kleenex! :)

I'm been working hard at updating my resume, preparing references, and looking internally for opportunities. After being off the market for so long, it is amazing how much things have changed and all the work that is needed. It's a full-time job preparing to find a job!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
It's Thursday again and a new CS should start.

Is there someone out there who's interested?

Kind regards
Klaus

Thanks for hosting Klaus! I'm afraid I don't have the available time to host for a while, but hope to at least view the contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom