CS #627 - Inside your camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
My "Walk a foreign city"-bag

I use this Hardrock bag when I walk a foreign city. It's not to obvious a camera bag and has room for one camera body and a lens or two lenses. If I know there is a higher risk of pickpocketing I use the cut upper part of a plastic bottle that peeks out of the bag...
Until now it works.

(1) From the outside
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(2) Inside

I can use two internal compartment for small additional equipment.

Kind regards
Klaus

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
My "Always by my side"-bag

It's a nine year old Lowepro Nova 190 AW. The camera with an attached lens and one more lens will fit inside.
The D3S with 70-200mm f/2.8 fits tight inside.
There's room for some USB-sticks, an additional battery, the charger (even the D3S charger is big), an USB-HDD and some more stuff.

(1) Outside

(2) Open top

(3) Front compartment open

(4) Cover compartment open

This old reliable bag starts to get worn now. Searching for some months I can't find any suitable replacement.
How I wish Rich could give me advice...

Kind regards
Klaus

Bag 1 - Pentax Kit. Naneu Sahara 113f bag. Spare batteries, SD cards, battery charger, pen, notebook, brush, lenspen, wipes, wired and wireless remotes. K-1 with 31/1.8, 43/1.9, 77/1.8 and whatever other lens I might want to shoot - usually the 200/2.8, or the 28-105. Sometimes the 300/4 and 1.4TC.

Real Name
Ken St John
After my system switch, this is just about my whole kit now .... and I must say, it's working out very well!!

You may note that I did not get rid of ALL of my Nikon gear ......... :D

I really like the feel and operation of everything except the grip (which is just to left of my CPS camera strap). In order to use it, you remove the trap door over the battery on the bottom of the camera, then attach the grip. The portion with the white plastic cover disappears inside where the battery connects to the camera. There's space inside the grip for two batteries. The feel is terrific and it's very well balanced, but I'm just afraid that I'll mess up and break the cover door taking it either on or off!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
I've got too many bags, but I seem to fill them all. :shame:

This one is my current hiking solution. It's a ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 V. 2.0. I now typically carry my D5500 with either the 18-55 AF-P or 16-80 f/2.8-4.0 (shown) and the 70-300 AF-P DX or 70-300 AF-P FX (shown).

The blue strap is not part of the original bag but is what I use to attach my small Gitzo tripod:

It's not clear from these photos, but there is a nice, wide, strap that distributes the load, and a waist belt that can be cinched tight to put some of the load onto your hips. Since it's a sling bag it's easy to slide it around to the front of your body to remove the camera, and you can make a lens change with everything in the bag. There is an additional pocket for filters, extra memory cards, batteries, etc. as you can see.

I'm very pleased with this system. Last week while on a hike on a steep, rocky, mountain trail I took a nasty spill, but the bag protected the camera and lens perfectly. If the camera had been on a strap it would have suffered serious damage.

I no longer use camera straps with this outfit.

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
This is my newest bag, a Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L Bag.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
After my system switch, this is just about my whole kit now .... and I must say, it's working out very well!!

View attachment 1626853

You may note that I did not get rid go ALL of my Nikon gear ......... :D

I really like the feel and operation of everything except the grip (which is just to left of my CPS camera strap). In order to use it, you remove the trap door over the battery on the bottom of the camera, then attach the grip. The portion with the white plastic cover disappears inside where the battery connects to the camera. There's space inside the grip for two batteries. The feel is terrific and it's very well balanced, but I'm just afraid that I'll mess up and break the cover door taking it either on or off!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Canon in disguise... :D:D:D

Kind regards
Klaus

Bag 2 - Domke F-5XB rugged wear with X100F, spare batteries, lenspen, brush, wipes, charger and cord.

One last bag before closing time. This is my latest photo travel backpack, a MindShift Gear BackLight 18L. In addition to space for quite a lot of camera gear, it has a laptop slot and room for a light jacket and numerous photography accessories. A tripod can be strapped to either side or in the middle of the back.

It opens from the front, i.e. the side that rides against your back when strapped on. What goes in it depends, of course, on the type of trip. I'm going on a nature photography trip to Costa Rica in early January, so what is shown here is what I may take.

D7200 with 16-80, D750, 70-300AF-P FX, 300 f/4 PF, and 18-35.
I guess my macro lens (probably 70-180) will have to go into a suitcase.

Mindshift backlight 26L. Shown with D800 with 50mm 1.8g, 24-120 f4, 16-35 f4, 200-500 f5.6, sigma 35mm f1.4, Rokinon 14mm f2.8. Nisi filter adapter & 10 stop ND, 1.4 tc, rocket blower, Think Tank CF wallet and remote. Side pocket Gitzo 1325 tripod and room in front pocket for my sidekick, 15" laptop, iPad, hat, gloves and a windbreaker. Bicycled around Island wearing the pack today and much more comfortable than I thought it would be. Like the 18l pack opens from the back.

Mindshift backlight 26L. Shown with D800 with 50mm 1.8g, 24-120 f4, 16-35 f4, 200-500 f5.6, sigma 35mm f1.4, Rokinon 14mm f2.8. Nisi filter adapter & 10 stop ND, 1.4 tc, rocket blower, Think Tank CF wallet and remote. Side pocket Gitzo 1325 tripod and room in front pocket for my sidekick, 15" laptop, iPad, hat, gloves and a windbreaker. Bicycled around Island wearing the pack today and much more comfortable than I thought it would be. Like the 18l pack opens from the back.View attachment 1626900View attachment 1626901
That's the big brother of the one I just posted. Looks like it would hold everything I would need for Costa Rica. But I wouldn't be able to carry it.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom