CS# 631 - Favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this earlier today, our Aussies playing. Matilda (the dark one) catches frisbees in the air, Lola latches on and they run around the yard together for awhile.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More power to you Eric. I missed this year's, 6:30 in the AM on a damp grey day, suffering from 2 days of festive eating and drinking, I left the chore to abler folks! They'll get their pound of flesh eventually!

Connie - I can understand that orange is your favorite color because I've been here long enough to recall an earlier avatar of yours!;) Your treatment came out well, I think: the upper left corner resembles an ancient runic manuscript!
Thanks, Eric! I was really intrigued when what had been a rather simple, plain image was suddenly transformed into this very different sort of presentation, complete with ancient script here-and-there!

Looking at your images, I am reminded of how the bird counters in my area were steadfast in their determination to get out there and count, even though over the past several days we have had nothing but rain, rain and more rain around the DC region!

For more than a century, Audubon chapters across the U.S. have held Christmas Bird Counts during this time of year. Teams of volunteers travel through appointed sectors within each area in order to spot and count birds to gather important "citizen science" data. Today, just like the previous 2 years, my sweetie & I were rowed down the Colorado river for maybe 10 miles by a good friend. It is surely one of my *favorite* bird outings of the year, maybe because we've been lucky with the weather: it was 24°F when we put in, and 45°F when we took out. 3 iPhone snaps below might give an idea:

View attachment 1628499

View attachment 1628500

View attachment 1628501
Nice nice set. The first is my favorite. I hope you dressed warm! Still pretty cold for shooting pictures.

Something which is already developing into a new favorite for me -- playing with filters via "Photomania," which is available on the internet for instant transformations and downloads and also as an app for iOS...... Although I have normally shunned messing around with fancy filters and such on my images, I have finally discovered that once in awhile it can be fun and interesting to see what the results are. Definitely it is the sort of thing which should not be used all the time! I first tried this a few days ago on an image and was rather pleasantly surprised with how it came out. I bookmarked the site. So this Sunday has been another rainy, grey, gloomy, yucky day here and just for the heck of it I decided to experiment with something to brighten everything up. I shot a rather ordinary photo of an orange (my favorite color!) object with my iPhone, lit only by the chandelier just above it....then took that into Luminar 2018 and kicked up the color saturation, contrast and clarity a bit. Next, I took the image into Photomania (photomania.net) to see if I could find a filter which would make my image more interesting and visually compelling. After some experimentation I decided on a texture and let 'er rip..... So is the final result an example of "fine art" or clearly the result of careful planning and execution with the appropriate setup of lighting, a DSLR or mirrorless camera, tripod and the right lens? Well, no, not at all, but I sure as heck have had fun with this!

View attachment 1628492
Connie - that's quite interesting. As an abstract, I'd never have guessed it started as an orange. The script adds a cool component to the shot IMHO.

For more than a century, Audubon chapters across the U.S. have held Christmas Bird Counts during this time of year. Teams of volunteers travel through appointed sectors within each area in order to spot and count birds to gather important "citizen science" data. Today, just like the previous 2 years, my sweetie & I were rowed down the Colorado river for maybe 10 miles by a good friend. It is surely one of my *favorite* bird outings of the year, maybe because we've been lucky with the weather: it was 24°F when we put in, and 45°F when we took out. 3 iPhone snaps below might give an idea:

View attachment 1628499

View attachment 1628500

View attachment 1628501
Bird Counts! Familiar with them (mostly Raptor counts) and they serve a purpose, difficult to get done without the volunteers. Were you looking for a specific bird? Or just what you could spot and ID? Nice set of photos - way too cold for me these days! :coldfeet:

Connie - that's quite interesting. As an abstract, I'd never have guessed it started as an orange. The script adds a cool component to the shot IMHO.
Thanks! Actually, it wasn't an orange.....it was an orange object (I see when I re-read what I had written how this was confusing! I could have done a better job of wording things). Anyway, here's the original image, a macro of a large orange serving ladle after a bit of tweaking in Luminar 2018 just before it was transformed by the Photomania texture filter:

Last edited:
Thanks! Actually, it wasn't an orange.....it was an orange object (I see when I re-read what I had written how this was confusing! I could have done a better job of wording things). Anyway, here's the original image, a macro of an large orange serving ladle after a bit of tweaking in Luminar 2018 just before it was transformed by the Photomania texture filter:

View attachment 1628503
OK - thanks! Either way, it turned into an interesting abstract. (y)

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Very nicely shot, Klaus. Several Pink Floyd tunes are among my favorites also!;)
Well Eric,
I was not so much interested in Pink Floyd decades ago.
It changed the day I attended their famous concert in Venice 1989.
That was an adventure of a life time...

Kind regards
Klaus

Thanks! Actually, it wasn't an orange.....it was an orange object (I see when I re-read what I had written how this was confusing! I could have done a better job of wording things). Anyway, here's the original image, a macro of a large orange serving ladle after a bit of tweaking in Luminar 2018 just before it was transformed by the Photomania texture filter:

View attachment 1628503
AH, I thought it was an orange. The macro shot by itself is really cool!

My favourite star:

Some of my favorite cookies/candies:

The white ones on the left are Butter Balls, a powdered sugar covered dry cookie that is one of my absolute favorites.

At the top are Buckeye Balls. A misnomer, as my mom had gotten the recipe mixed up a long time ago, and these are really peanut butter cup candies that instead of placing them into a mold, she just formed them into balls. Buckeye Balls are a very similar construction and flavor. They taste great anyway, and the name stuck.

In the middle is a Pizzelle, an traditional Italian cookie made with anise seed/oil, and tons of eggs/flour. They are wonderful, and nothing like the store bought ones that you may find. The flavor is something you either hate or love. I love them.

At the bottom is a piece of Sponge Candy, a very light sugary center that looks like a sponge, coated with chocolate. There was a candy store in my home town that made these, and my mom found the recipe and has faithfully recreated them.

I love all of the cookies my mom makes (shown here). I say "some" of my favorites, because she doesn't make chocolate chip cookies :( which are at the top of my list. My wife will make chocolate chip cookies occasionally, but hasn't yet this Christmas.

Oh yes, that table cloth was hand made by my mom and is absolutely huge. It is a favorite gift that my wife puts out each Christmas (with a red table cloth under it, and plastic sheet over it of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom