CS# 631 - Favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned to call it bet-el-geeze (and still do), but I have heard people call it beetle juice. Orion is my favorite constellation, I guess because it is a Winter constellation (in my area) and I was born in the Winter.

AH, I thought it was an orange. The macro shot by itself is really cool!
Thanks, Paul! For me, part of the fascination with photography is keeping and making it fun as well as seeing if it can sometimes stir up a few creative juices. Orange is my favorite color, so a no-brainer for this week's topic! I wanted it to be the predominant element in the image. I grabbed the iPhone and the ladle and started out by seeing if I could come up with an interesting image to take advantage of the ladle's curvy shape. Took a few test shots until I hit on a position that I liked, then took the image into Luminar for a little more work, and that is when I decided that the image needed something more, so headed to Photomania to see what textures might be suited to this.... and voila! That's what I love about photography -- one can start out with a vague idea (or even a very clear one) about what the end result should be and come out with something a bit different and pleasing to the eye, while having had fun in the process of creating it.

(Sorry for the similar posts......I messed up when trying to edit my earlier one, hit the "reply" button instead of "edit," then deleted that. When I didn't see the original post I thought I had accidentally deleted it so rewrote, only to later find the earlier post was intact after all. Sigh.... Need another cup of coffee!)

Thanks! Charley will stare at the TV, on constant guard looking for animals that are straying into his territory :). How'd that cat get int the house all of a sudden! :)
Scooby's just the opposite - pays no attention to what's on the tube. Outside? Yup. His own reflection? Yup. :facepalm:

Some of my favorite cookies/candies:
View attachment 1628511

The white ones on the left are Butter Balls, a powdered sugar covered dry cookie that is one of my absolute favorites.

At the top are Buckeye Balls. A misnomer, as my mom had gotten the recipe mixed up a long time ago, and these are really peanut butter cup candies that instead of placing them into a mold, she just formed them into balls. Buckeye Balls are a very similar construction and flavor. They taste great anyway, and the name stuck.

In the middle is a Pizzelle, an traditional Italian cookie made with anise seed/oil, and tons of eggs/flour. They are wonderful, and nothing like the store bought ones that you may find. The flavor is something you either hate or love. I love them.

At the bottom is a piece of Sponge Candy, a very light sugary center that looks like a sponge, coated with chocolate. There was a candy store in my home town that made these, and my mom found the recipe and has faithfully recreated them.

I love all of the cookies my mom makes (shown here). I say "some" of my favorites, because she doesn't make chocolate chip cookies :( which are at the top of my list. My wife will make chocolate chip cookies occasionally, but hasn't yet this Christmas.

Oh yes, that table cloth was hand made by my mom and is absolutely huge. It is a favorite gift that my wife puts out each Christmas (with a red table cloth under it, and plastic sheet over it of course).
Mmm... whole bunch of goodness there. Tasty photo Paul!

Mmm... whole bunch of goodness there. Tasty photo Paul!
Thanks, I wanted a deeper DoF, but it was pretty dark in the house, and there is a very small amount of time from when I put cookies on a plate and then they are gone... :)

Actually, I grabbed the cookies to eat while watching Die Hard, (a light hearted, romantic Christmas time movie :) ) and then realized I wanted to take a photo, and the movie was about to start, so I rushed. Though, they wouldn't be on the plate for long anyways.

Thanks, I wanted a deeper DoF, but it was pretty dark in the house, and there is a very small amount of time from when I put cookies on a plate and then they are gone... :)

Actually, I grabbed the cookies to eat while watching Die Hard, (a light hearted, romantic Christmas time movie :) ) and then realized I wanted to take a photo, and the movie was about to start, so I rushed. Though, they wouldn't be on the plate for long anyways.
Yearly classic, along with Lethal Weapon.

My most favoritest organizational tool - a label maker. I have become so sick and tired of not being able to find things these days, I'm a label-making fool. :bag:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sad Xmas Story

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Moving to Eastern Tennessee means I no longer have the metropolitan opportunity
for things like good coffee and hand made bread/treats.
Then I discovered a franchise shop just blocks from my appt which serves Caribou Coffee....YUMMIE!

edit: They are not a part of the Caribou Coffee Brand in any way

Unfortunately, they are closing on December 24th.
Nice thing is that all the regular patrons here in Knoxville, myself
included, are going out of their way to leave extra large tips for the employees.
I'm only losing some coffee, they are out of work four days before Xmas. :(

No agenda or disparaging statement towards the chain is intended, it must be difficult times.

My most favoritest organizational tool - a label maker. I have become so sick and tired of not being able to find things these days, I'm a label-making fool. :bag:

View attachment 1628520
Those are really great. My daughter labeled a bunch of my tool drawers, which made things easier to find. Now, if I could just find where the label maker is...

Sad Xmas Story

View attachment 1628523

Then I discovered a franchise shop just blocks from my appt which serves Caribou Coffee....YUMMIE!

included, are going out of their way to leave extra large tips for the employees.

No agenda or disparaging statement towards the chain is intended, it must be difficult times.
Aw... sad story indeed. Very kind gesture.

Sad Xmas Story

View attachment 1628523

Tough about the shop closing, especially this time of year. Good on you and the other the patrons for helping a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom