CS# 631 - Favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite shoes. I currently own four pair of Red Wing boots. I wear them to work. I wear them to church. I wear them out taking photos. I wear them on my motorcycle. The only shoes not made by Red Wing I have purchased in years are the shoes I wear to the gym. This pair is my most often worn daily boots. I only buy the made in America Red Wings. Unfortunately, many no longer are. But the customer service is great and so are the boots. Years ago I was having foot problems. I ended up at the podiatrist, who sold me custom orthotics for about $400 after my insurance paid their part. I started buying Red Wing boots and I no longer need custom orthotics.

View attachment 1628660
Look comfy, good backstory. It's great finding footwear that work just right for your feet, makes a huge difference.

My favorite new Town Home in East Tennessee:

View attachment 1628643
Pad laid out and marked for framing. Left for a walk and came back and hour and a
half later finding this:

View attachment 1628644

It is almost completed!!! That is my dining room, btw.

Sorry about the slight purple cast, no time for "Photo Butcher."
Congrats on the new home. I hope the process isn't too stressful. The one time I had a house built was not fun.

My favorite new Town Home in East Tennessee:

View attachment 1628643
Pad laid out and marked for framing. Left for a walk and came back and hour and a
half later finding this:

View attachment 1628644

It is almost completed!!! That is my dining room, btw.

Sorry about the slight purple cast, no time for "Photo Butcher."
Congratulations on your new home! Interesting that you should refer to this as a "townhouse" or "town home;" when I've seen houses built in this style and configuration they've usually been called "villas" or "patio homes." Must be regional differences in terminology.....

Congratulations on your new home! Interesting that you should refer to this as a "townhouse" or "town home;" when I've seen houses built in this style and configuration they've usually been called "villas" or "patio homes." Must be regional differences in terminology.....
The definitions are rather broad, but the idea is that while there are shared walls there are no other units on top or below. Some say a town home must be at least two stories, obviously these are not. We do have individual front and back yards which also separates them from a "condo." Anyway...I'll just call it home.

edit: Should have told people those are not what ours will look like. We are just three accross and considerably nicer finish.

Last edited:
Yes, in my area townhouses are usually two or three stories, and will have a small front yard and back yard with patio (yards are divided by fencing for privacy). Although some have garages or covered parking, many don't. Villas or patio homes, which are often featured in "Active Adult/Over 55" type communities, are joined together in some way with at least one common wall but are only on one level. Rental apartments, condominium units and co-op units will have other units above or below. "Condominium" or "co-op" is used to refer not to the type of dwelling but rather to different types of home ownership. Townhouses can be owned as a condominium or "fee-simple". In condominium ownership, the individual dwelling is owned by the purchaser and there is also a common ground area, usually with various amenities like a swimming pool, plus parking facilities, landscaping, etc., for which all are responsible and for which condominium fees are paid. In a co-op everyone owns the entire building and their particular unit is just one part of that building. In NYC co-ops are popular; in my area it seems that condominium apartments, townhouses or villas are more the norm.

Yep, no matter what one calls it, or the type of ownership utilized, there's no place like "home"! :)

Last edited:
Was expecting in June but now it may be May if the weather holds. Great walk yesterday along the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. "y'all be seein' sum 'em pics next yarr."
Excellent, Ed! Here's wishing a swift completion with no unexpected "issues". Also, I'm happy to learn that you are apparently enrolled in a TSL class . . . i.e., "Tennesseean as a Second Language":D

Just as I mentioned that my mom doesn't make chocolate chip cookies, and my wife had not made any yet... I could smell cookies backing. Checking, and sure enough...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mmm! Warm, just out of the oven... I had to break my desserts on weekends only rule for this case. I'm mean, quality control is very, very, important to me, and I wanted to make sure that my wife was not making sub-par cookies! :)
Ya' know, Paul - I *love* chocolate chip cookies, but . . . after making up a batch recently, and now knowing firsthand what all (and how much) goes into them, I'm gonna have to try and dial back a bit!

My favorite shoes. I currently own four pair of Red Wing boots. I wear them to work. I wear them to church. I wear them out taking photos. I wear them on my motorcycle. The only shoes not made by Red Wing I have purchased in years are the shoes I wear to the gym. This pair is my most often worn daily boots. I only buy the made in America Red Wings. Unfortunately, many no longer are. But the customer service is great and so are the boots. Years ago I was having foot problems. I ended up at the podiatrist, who sold me custom orthotics for about $400 after my insurance paid their part. I started buying Red Wing boots and I no longer need custom orthotics.

View attachment 1628660
I'm a big fan of Red Wing too. I have a pair of their insulated waterproof Irish Setter model and they have served me well for many years. Mine were made in China . . .

Since May this year my partner and I have been travelling through Canada, the USA, Fiji and New Zealand. This shot it not only one of my favourite shots of this year but also of one of my favourite places we have visited on our adventure. Taken in Canyonlands National Park, Utah whilst we stood in awe of the stunning landscape and approaching storm.

View attachment 1628604Canyonlands Dust Storm by mk tdg, on Flickr
One of my favorite places on Earth and we try to visit at least once each year; I believe that you were looking down on the White Rim Trail. Beautiful photograph.

Close-up and a bit of true macro (1:1) is my favourite type of photogrpahy so it makes sense that the lenses used for that are my favourites. Here's a family portrait. The distant cousin is a Lester Dine/Kiron 105mm f2.8 which I bought to try out because of its cult following. The 300 f4 is on a PN-11 extension tube which gets a 1:1.8 reproduction ratio with a long working distance good for large dragonflies and butterflies. The only one bought new is the 55mm f3.5 which was my "normal" lens from '77 on. If anyone want to gift me a Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro Apo-Lanthar to join the family, yu can reach me here :).

Larry

View attachment 1628581
Now here's a guy with more macro lenses than I have!

That is a well made portrait. I was considering photographing just my 55/3.5 AI, which is about my favorite as I use it for so many things other than macro.

What are your thoughts on the Lester Dine/Kiron? I saw one for sale fairly recently and was tempted but decided I really need no more macro lenses.

Was expecting in June but now it may be May if the weather holds. Great walk yesterday along the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. "y'all be seein' sum 'em pics next yarr."
Excellent - enjoy the new home once finished!

Now here's a guy with more macro lenses than I have!
That is a well made portrait. I was considering photographing just my 55/3.5 AI, which is about my favorite as I use it for so many things other than macro.
What are your thoughts on the Lester Dine/Kiron? I saw one for sale fairly recently and was tempted but decided I really need no more macro lenses.
Thanks Jim
I haven't used the Lester Dine enough to judge. I'm planning to do a comparison of it, the current 105mm Nikkor and the 105mm f4 AiS (ca 1982) to post but I haven't found a suitable subject yet.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom