CS# 631 - Favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy theme this week. Favorites. Most of us have one or more. So, post up images showing something that is one of your favorites - be it an activity or related gear, photo gear, audio equipment, kitchen utensils, music or book, jacket, hat, shoes, favorite spot to zone out... whatever might be one of your favorites.

Standard CS rules apply, please make sure photos are taken within this CS's timeframe. And most of all - have some fun with it. :)

Thanks Klaus.

My favorite "travel-everywhere-with-me-liquid-container". Handy size, holds temps very well. Sadly, they changed the design. Current design may be more "modern", but it is bulkier and the lid closure and lock are more difficult to use.
View attachment 1628187

Real Name
Paul
Thanks Klaus.

My favorite "travel-everywhere-with-me-liquid-container". Handy size, holds temps very well. Sadly, they changed the design. Current design may be more "modern", but it is bulkier and the lid closure and lock are more difficult to use.
View attachment 1628187
Nicely shot for a difficult object (with the reflectiveness). I still have an old Thermos. They are super at keeping things hot. I used to put steel cut oats in mine in the evening, and let it cook overnight, and then just pour out the oatmeal at breakfast time to eat. Makes for a fast but hardy breakfast.

Nicely shot for a difficult object (with the reflectiveness). I still have an old Thermos. They are super at keeping things hot. I used to put steel cut oats in mine in the evening, and let it cook overnight, and then just pour out the oatmeal at breakfast time to eat. Makes for a fast but hardy breakfast.

Thanks Paul - just a snapshot, but yeah reflection was a bear. I wish companies would do more to resist changing things "just because".

Real Name
Paul
My Favorite Dog...

Watching TV
cs-631-2725.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taking a nap
cs-631-2732.jpg

Something which is already developing into a new favorite for me -- playing with filters via "Photomania," which is available on the internet for instant transformations and downloads and also as an app for iOS...... Although I have normally shunned messing around with fancy filters and such on my images, I have finally discovered that once in awhile it can be fun and interesting to see what the results are. Definitely it is the sort of thing which should not be used all the time! I first tried this a few days ago on an image and was rather pleasantly surprised with how it came out. I bookmarked the site. So this Sunday has been another rainy, grey, gloomy, yucky day here and just for the heck of it I decided to experiment with something to brighten everything up. I shot a rather ordinary photo of an orange (my favorite color!) object with my iPhone, lit only by the chandelier just above it....then took that into Luminar 2018 and kicked up the color saturation, contrast and clarity a bit. Next, I took the image into Photomania (photomania.net) to see if I could find a filter which would make my image more interesting and visually compelling. After some experimentation I decided on a texture and let 'er rip..... So is the final result an example of "fine art" or clearly the result of careful planning and execution with the appropriate setup of lighting, a DSLR or mirrorless camera, tripod and the right lens? Well, no, not at all, but I sure as heck have had fun with this!

Shades of Orange (Filtered).jpeg

Real Name
Paul
Something which is already developing into a new favorite for me -- playing with filters via "Photomania," which is available on the internet for instant transformations and downloads and also as an app for iOS...... Although I have normally shunned messing around with fancy filters and such on my images, I have finally discovered that once in awhile it can be fun and interesting to see what the results are. Definitely it is the sort of thing which should not be used all the time! I first tried this a few days ago on an image and was rather pleasantly surprised with how it came out. I bookmarked the site. So this Sunday has been another rainy, grey, gloomy, yucky day here and just for the heck of it I decided to experiment with something to brighten everything up. I shot a rather ordinary photo of an orange (my favorite color!) object with my iPhone, lit only by the chandelier just above it....then took that into Luminar 2018 and kicked up the color saturation, contrast and clarity a bit. Next, I took the image into Photomania (photomania.net) to see if I could find a filter which would make my image more interesting and visually compelling. After some experimentation I decided on a texture and let 'er rip..... So is the final result an example of "fine art" or clearly the result of careful planning and execution with the appropriate setup of lighting, a DSLR or mirrorless camera, tripod and the right lens? Well, no, not at all, but I sure as heck have had fun with this!

View attachment 1628492
Came out really interesting Connie. I've never thought to play with filters (or to make abstract photographs for that matter). Cool effect!

Thanks, Paul! I've long since loved shooting abstracts but until just recently have not gotten into using filters to achieve either abstract or other effects. I'm really liking this but I still feel it isn't really a replacement for taking the time to carefully shoot an abstract right from the get-go..... Playing with different filter effects can be a fun way to spend a little time trying something new and out of one's usual comfort space, though!

Thanks Klaus.

View attachment 1628187
Thanks for hosting with an approachable theme, Gordo. Your Thermos is surely a classic!

View attachment 1628492
Connie - I can understand that orange is your favorite color because I've been here long enough to recall an earlier avatar of yours!;) Your treatment came out well, I think: the upper left corner resembles an ancient runic manuscript!

For more than a century, Audubon chapters across the U.S. have held Christmas Bird Counts during this time of year. Teams of volunteers travel through appointed sectors within each area in order to spot and count birds to gather important "citizen science" data. Today, just like the previous 2 years, my sweetie & I were rowed down the Colorado river for maybe 10 miles by a good friend. It is surely one of my *favorite* bird outings of the year, maybe because we've been lucky with the weather: it was 24°F when we put in, and 45°F when we took out. 3 iPhone snaps below might give an idea:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom