CS #636 - Let's start it with an "A"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atrophied Lily
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This blossom has a long story. On December 21 (2018) our son ordered a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to his Mom (Mrs. T.) in honor of her birthday on the 22nd. As luck would have it, they didn't arrive until after we had left to be away for several days. They sat outside on our front stoop, well packaged, through several days and nights of freezing weather.

When we returned, she unpackaged them and found that the lilies in the bouquet had not yet opened. They proceeded to open up over several days inside.

When we left for Costa Rica on January 5th, instead of throwing them away she put them in a bucket of water in the garage where they have sat until I brought them in today for this photograph.

Atrophied Lily
View attachment 1630987
This blossom has a long story. On December 21 (2018) our son ordered a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to his Mom (Mrs. T.) in honor of her birthday on the 22nd. As luck would have it, they didn't arrive until after we had left to be away for several days. They sat outside on our front stoop, well packaged, through several days and nights of freezing weather.

When we returned, she unpackaged them and found that the lilies in the bouquet had not yet opened. They proceeded to open up over several days inside.

When we left for Costa Rica on January 5th, instead of throwing them away she put them in a bucket of water in the garage where they have sat until I brought them in today for this photograph.
Very nicely photographed Jim, and interesting story!

Angle

AC/DC Arc Welder

Here are 3 residents of my spice cabinet:
From Left, Asafoetida, Advieh and Anise.

Asafoetida is used in Indian cooking, especially with curried lentils (where it serves much the same function as Beano!) but also adds an onion-like flavor. Also used in meat curries to intensify the flavors of onions. This is a compounded version (mixed with flours and turmeric, to mellow the intensity and help it age better). Advieh is a blend of cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cumin, caraway, cloves and cardamom. Used with braised meats and rice pilafs.

View attachment 1631004

Asafoetida is used in Indian cooking, especially with curried lentils (where it serves much the same function as Beano!) but also adds an onion-like flavor. Also used in meat curries to intensify the flavors of onions. This is a compounded version (mixed with flours and turmeric, to mellow the intensity and help it age better). Advieh is a blend of cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cumin, caraway, cloves and cardamom. Used with braised meats and rice pilafs.
Nice! I was going to raid the spice rack, but the containers were pretty boring (unlike yours) and I found a few items in the workshop.

Atrophied Lily
View attachment 1630987

Very nicely done.

Atrophied Lily
View attachment 1630987

Well done, Jim - the black background sets it off beautifully.

American Airlines Airplane

View attachment 1631004

Geez, Nick - what spot-on, mouth-watering CS subjects and shots those are. Have you ever thought about entering the Iron Chef battle? Oh . . . most importantly: do you take reservations and if so, what time do you open for dinner?:D

Geez, Nick - what spot-on, mouth-watering CS subjects and shots those are. Have you ever thought about entering the Iron Chef battle? Oh . . . most importantly: do you take reservations and if so, what time do you open for dinner?:D
Thanks Eric. I do enjoy cooking, especially playing with spices. Anytime you are up this way, feel free to call in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom