CS #637 - Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy that my part of the job is done...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The moulding and balusters need painting, and some touch up on the risers. I leave all painting to my wife!

Happy Birthday!

I still have some cards laying around from my birthday on the 17th.

I am Happy that they got the roof on my new condo before the East Tenessee "Snowmageddon" :)) just a dusting so far).

Took this Saturday with my iPhone. Sorry, not packing the Nikon that day!​

Happy to be relaxing with my laptop catching up on the Nikon Cafe.

I took the day off and went on my granddaughter’s field trip to the Manatee Viewing Center in Apollo Beach. Honestly the manatees weren’t the highlight of the day. She loved the hurricane simulation tube and the stingray petting pool, although she wouldn’t touch the stingrays.

Thanks, Nick, Dan and Al! Yes, this project was long, long overdue! Yes, I had a lot of everyday glassware stashed away and since I live alone and rarely entertain more than a couple of people at a time these days, even for a casual hour or two, time to start seriously downsizing. I really, really did not need all this glassware! Most of it was everyday stuff that I brought over from the townhouse years ago when moving from there to here. The days of having dinner parties and buying inexpensive glassware as opposed to using the plastic stuff for larger parties have long since passed. Time to finally sort through it all and donate to charity, where people who really need it can benefit from it.

Actually, Marie Kondo had nothing to do with this -- instead, over the MLK holiday weekend I had an electrical problem and realized that the electrician was going to have to get behind an antique Hoosier cabinet in my kitchen in order to check things out, and taking everything out of that cabinet (which I use mainly as a pantry) started the ball rolling. Not everything that was stashed in that cabinet went back in later, instead was either thrown out or set aside for a donation to charity, and this got me started on going through the other cabinets in the kitchen. I'm halfway through, but feeling really good about this!

As for Marie Kondo and her idea of discarding books -- NO WAY, JOSE!!!! I'm a (retired) librarian and keeping lots of books around is in my DNA. Many of my books are photography-related, some are on other topics of interest to me, and some are my favorite novels that I've read and re-read through the years. When I moved from the townhouse, going through the books that my late husband and I had accumulated was painful, indeed, but sadly necessary, and I did take some to second-hand booksellers and also donated many to the public library system. Now my rule of thumb is: if it's fiction, get it at the library, read it and return it. If it's nonfiction which is on a topic of interest, is it something to which I would be likely to refer time and time again? In that case, buy it. Otherwise, get it at the library. So when going through the collection of books in the kitchen in the bookcase adjacent to the Hoosier cabinet, I had no problem discarding old white pages phone books and hand-compiled paper recipe collections from some organization or other, but took my time evaluating the cookbooks. I'm no cook but somehow over the years I still had managed to gather and accumulate some cookbooks anyway. A few of those cookbooks also have now made their way to the donation shelves at the library. I"ll never make those recipes, but maybe someone else will..... That said, I'm keeping the copy of THE JOY OF COOKING that someone gave me as an engagement gift lo these many, many moons ago!
Interesting and ironic that you should mention books and sorting. I just recently started cataloging my books. I have lots. My enduring interests are history, literature and (my first adolescent love) sci-fi. I have cataloged most of the sci-fi (about 450 volumes) and have discovered a first edition of The Man In The High Castle and a first edition of Foundation. Worth a good bit (close to $1k for books I bought for less than $20 total). The neat thing is discovering things that I have not read in many decades. I intend to remedy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom