CS #642 - Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid this is all I could come up with ... not very inventive!!
View attachment 1633636
Ansel Adams and Josef Scaylea were both "mentors" of mine in my early days of learning about photography. Y'all probably know Adams, but may not recognize Scaylea's name. He was a long time photographer for the Seattle Times newspaper and had a weekly series called "My Northwest" that I enjoyed very much. And, Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series of books are my favorite series of navels (and TV series) ... and also shows that my definition of "book" includes a Kindle/iPad as my preferred reading media nowadays!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Nice use of the ipad!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I see that Jamaican Cooking book hiding in there. What’s your favorite Jamaican dish?
Yeah mon... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I now follow a plant based lifestyle, however, I do, will and have put that down for my favorite Jamaican meals especially when cooked by my relatives (my dad was Jamaican). My siblings favorite Jamaican meal includes curry goat. I won't touch that. Instead, here are my favorites:

Breakfast: Ackee and saltfish.
Snacks: Fried dumplings. Jamaican beef patties. Spiced Bun. Coco Bread.
Main meal: Oxtails, rice and peas, callaloo and plaintains. Stewed fish. Curry chicken.
Dessert: Black cake (rum cake).
Ginger beer or sorrel to drink. If I want soda, I'll drink Ting.

And after I'm done with all that and there's no more left, I go back to eating plants... :p

I now follow a plant based lifestyle, however, I do, will and have put that down for my favorite Jamaican meals especially when cooked by my relatives (my dad was Jamaican). My siblings favorite Jamaican meal includes curry goat. I won't touch that. Instead, here are my favorites:

Main meal: Oxtails, rice and peas, callaloo and plaintains. Stewed fish. Curry chicken.

And after I'm done with all that and there's no more left, I go back to eating plants... :p
I am so not adventurous with my eating. I really wish I was. But dishes like curry goat and ox tail anything are hard for me to try. I am afraid I miss out on some great things because I am not adventurous enough. Maybe if I was with a Jamaican and they were eating it I’d be more likely to give it a try.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I had plans, but like all plans . . . thwarted by events. However,
I did get a substitute shot. These small libraries are springing up all over town, in just about every neighborhood. This one is rather run down, and looks like it might have lost a battle or two with the snow and/or a snowplow. Some are very nice and include a small solar light, glass doors and some creative art.

Inspired by Lyndee's post of SteveK's book, I give you another by a Café member. Doug Barber, who was active here a decade ago put this out with his brother David. Somewhere buried in the Café "archives" is a description of how he shot that cover.
My apologies for a lousy iPhone shot.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just finished a late dinner and now you got me hungry! YUM!

Real Name
Andy
Ahhh...EWR; been there a few times, myself...:D

Those are great shots, Andy! And I really like the idea of a restaurant/bookshop. Really cool idea.

And I give up. The first thing I thought of when you referenced, "Slowhand" was the song by the Pointer Sisters. I was thinking that Clapton may have written the song, but I don't think that's correct. Sooo...no gold star for me... :confused:
A "slowhand" is when an audience, in slow, rhythmic applause, fills the silence while the band remains on stage but the music is interrupted for some reason. Since Clapton's guitar playing style involves significant stretching of the strings, it is quite possible, even likely, for a broken string to occur during a live performance, bringing about the need for this rock ritual.

Long before reaching international acclaim, Clapton played with The Yardbirds in the 1960s. His bandmates dubbed him with the moniker "Slowhand" because he would break a string during performance, then nonchalantly begin changing it on stage during a live performance while the audience obliged with the slow rhythmic clap in unison. They did this because they knew that what followed would be worth the wait.

Many years later, I had the privilege of seeing this phenomenon for myself when Clapton broke and slowly changed a guitar string on stage. I added my hands to 19,000 others' slowhand at New York's Madison Square Garden, and added my voice to their cheers when he resumed playing. It is an unforgettable memory.

I've never heard of Terry Pratchett, Al. Is he a Sci-Fi author? And that bookshelf of yours is crowded and that's less packed?? Wow!
Never heard of him?!? I'm shocked. Before J K Rowling, the (now sadly late) Terry Pratchett was the most popular author in the World. He's best known for the Discworld series, which started off as a parody of Tolkein, but grew to satirise many facets of our "Roundworld". Try "Mort", one of the early ones wherein Death takes an apprentice; if you like that, you'll probably like the rest :D

He also wrote some juveniles; starting with one where video-gaming kids had to work out what to do when the Space Invaders surrendered...

Sounds like a plan to me

Inspired by Lyndee's post of SteveK's book, I give you another by a Café member. Doug Barber, who was active here a decade ago put this out with his brother David. Somewhere buried in the Café "archives" is a description of how he shot that cover.

View attachment 1633653
Alright, you just cost me 15 minutes I should have spent getting ready for work reading about the Fourth International Polar Year. This site is educational even when I’m not trying to be educated.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
But dishes like curry goat and ox tail anything are hard for me to try.
Tastes just like chicken - trust me...! :ROFLMAO:

Oxtail is delicious. Think an extremely tender roast beef wrapped around a bone. But I do hear you on not being adventurous; I'm a little skittish, as well.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
View attachment 1633651 I had plans, but like all plans . . . thwarted by events. However,
I did get a substitute shot. These small libraries are springing up all over town, in just about every neighborhood. This one is rather run down, and looks like it might have lost a battle or two with the snow and/or a snowplow. Some are very nice and include a small solar light, glass doors and some creative art.
Ohhh! I've seen these, as well. I really like your image, though, especially with the background; very nice!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

View attachment 1633653
I remember Doug and wow - that cover is fantastic! Truly, that book is one to treasure!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
A "slowhand" is when an audience, in slow, rhythmic applause, fills the silence while the band remains on stage but the music is interrupted for some reason. Since Clapton's guitar playing style involves significant stretching of the strings, it is quite possible, even likely, for a broken string to occur during a live performance, bringing about the need for this rock ritual.

Long before reaching international acclaim, Clapton played with The Yardbirds in the 1960s. His bandmates dubbed him with the moniker "Slowhand" because he would break a string during performance, then nonchalantly begin changing it on stage during a live performance while the audience obliged with the slow rhythmic clap in unison. They did this because they knew that what followed would be worth the wait.

Many years later, I had the privilege of seeing this phenomenon for myself when Clapton broke and slowly changed a guitar string on stage. I added my hands to 19,000 others' slowhand at New York's Madison Square Garden, and added my voice to their cheers when he resumed playing. It is an unforgettable memory.
I had no idea, Andy - thank you for the explanation. And I can only imagine what that concert at MSG must have been like. That must have been some performance!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Never heard of him?!? I'm shocked. Before J K Rowling, the (now sadly late) Terry Pratchett was the most popular author in the World. He's best known for the Discworld series, which started off as a parody of Tolkein, but grew to satirise many facets of our "Roundworld". Try "Mort", one of the early ones wherein Death takes an apprentice; if you like that, you'll probably like the rest :D

He also wrote some juveniles; starting with one where video-gaming kids had to work out what to do when the Space Invaders surrendered...
I will definitely search him out in the library this weekend, Al. I'll try 'Mort' and let you know what I think...! :)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You all have NO idea how much I enjoyed this Collective Shoot. You showed up and showed out and your images were wonderful. This CS also demonstrated that while technology is grand, there's nothing like having a good, old fashioned book in your hands to read.

THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING
WHAT A GREAT TIME!!
:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom