CS #642 - Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all have NO idea how much I enjoyed this Collective Shoot. You showed up and showed out and your images were wonderful. This CS also demonstrated that while technology is grand, there's nothing like having a good, old fashioned book in your hands to read.

THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING
WHAT A GREAT TIME!!
:) :) :)
And thank you for hosting!!!

This was a delightful CS -- wonderful subject matter, excellent and varied approaches to it! My little ole librarian-y heart brims with joy......

As Stephen King once wrote: "Books are a uniquely portable magic."
Two librarian friends of ours take pride in reminding everyone that books (aka paper) are the longest lived recording media still in use and it is the only true archival one--every paper ever recorded on is still retrievable today.

Two librarian friends of ours take pride in reminding everyone that books (aka paper) are the longest lived recording media still in use and it is the only true archival one--every paper ever recorded on is still retrievable today.
Ah, but ink fades and paper becomes brittle and disintegrates over time. I have books I no longer open for fear of what will happen if I do.

Ah, but ink fades and paper becomes brittle and disintegrates over time. I have books I no longer open for fear of what will happen if I do.
My point, or my librarian friends point, is that it is far more archival than anything else. It ain't perfect, but it works. How many IBM punch card readers exist today? Or Bernoulli drives?

A photo of a photo book I made a few years ago for my niece when she graduated high school. They asked me to do her senior portraits, which I did with great trepidation, only agreeing because I knew if they didn't turn out we could have them redone. At least portraits aren't like a wedding where you get one shot and you better get it right. They turned out pretty good. My sister didn't see the need to have them redone at least.

View attachment 1633631
Nice job on the photo shoot, and a nice reminder with the book.

I'm afraid this is all I could come up with ... not very inventive!!
View attachment 1633636
Ansel Adams and Josef Scaylea were both "mentors" of mine in my early days of learning about photography. Y'all probably know Adams, but may not recognize Scaylea's name. He was a long time photographer for the Seattle Times newspaper and had a weekly series called "My Northwest" that I enjoyed very much. And, Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series of books are my favorite series of novels (and a related TV series available on Netflix) ... and also shows that my definition of "book" includes a Kindle/iPad as my preferred reading media nowadays!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Looks like some classics there.

View attachment 1633651 I had plans, but like all plans . . . thwarted by events. However,
I did get a substitute shot. These small libraries are springing up all over town, in just about every neighborhood. This one is rather run down, and looks like it might have lost a battle or two with the snow and/or a snowplow. Some are very nice and include a small solar light, glass doors and some creative art.
Reminds me of a trip to Tortola a long time ago, where we camped. They had a ton of books and people could take and drop off books for future visitors.

Yes, indeedy! Also, for those who are unaware of this, librarians are among those who were at the forefront of developing search engines, databases, etc., and who have played a big role in making it so easy for all of us to go online, type in just about any combination of words in "natural language" and get immediate "hits" (results) that answer our query. The days of putting together "search strings" and pondering over the most effective search strategy are (thankfully!) history......

Much as I love my iPad and my iPhone, I rarely choose them for reading actual books; instead I still much prefer a book printed on real paper and always will. :)

You all have NO idea how much I enjoyed this Collective Shoot. You showed up and showed out and your images were wonderful. This CS also demonstrated that while technology is grand, there's nothing like having a good, old fashioned book in your hands to read.

THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING
WHAT A GREAT TIME!!
:) :) :)
Thanks for hosting!!!!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This was a delightful CS -- wonderful subject matter, excellent and varied approaches to it! My little ole librarian-y heart brims with joy......

As Stephen King once wrote: "Books are a uniquely portable magic."
Connie, the subject for the CS was a last minute idea. I never thought that it would turn out to be so enjoyable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom