CS #642 - Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks like 2 good companions, Dan!
I read all the John D. MacDonald Travis McGee novels years ago. I didn’t buy them, but checked them out from the library. I liked them enough that when I found copies at a used book store I bought them. But I only have a few of them. And now I don’t have a used book store around to find them in. None of my copies are first editions or signed by the author. Maybe one day I’ll collect them.

I have to agree with Nick - a good book and something nice to drink? Can't beat it. I've never read any of MacDonald's books; I'll have to check them out!
As seems to be the case with so many things for me, I didn’t discover MacDonald until after his death in 1986. He lived in Florida and wrote about a time in Florida when it was changing. People were moving to the state and subdivisions were replacing orange groves. He wasn’t happy about the change. MeGee was a tough guy who worked when he needed the money and lived on a boat. Kind of a 1970s hero. I don’t know if you’d like them, but I loved them.

Lyndee,

You won't find it in England - we are in WALES.

The Festival runs for around 12 days - see dates in the link - great for photography. Loads of Celebs roaming around and plenty to do and see even if you don't book for events.

DG

Real Name
Andy
Just opportunity shots for me this week.

1. With a bit of time to kill in EWR...

2. I nearly purchased this volume about one of the G.O.A.T. guitarists (*):

3. And while waiting for a table at a local shop that's half bookstore, half restaurant...

(*) A gold star to anyone who knows what a "slowhand" is AND how it applies so well as a nickname for Clapton.

View attachment 1633619

2. I nearly purchased this volume about one of the G.O.A.T. guitarists (*): View attachment 1633620

3. And while waiting for a table at a local shop that's half bookstore, half restaurant...
View attachment 1633621

(*) A gold star to anyone who knows what a "slowhand" is AND how it applies so well as a nickname for Clapton.
Nice set and use of dead time. Didn't know the Clapton reference...had to search it. Interesting!

Quick snap of one of my less-packed bookshelves...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee,

You won't find it in England - we are in WALES.

The Festival runs for around 12 days - see dates in the link - great for photography. Loads of Celebs roaming around and plenty to do and see even if you don't book for events.

DG
I know, Dave. I thought Wales; typed England. My excuse? It was 6:00am and I don't start functioning until at least 11:30! :ROFLMAO:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

View attachment 1633619

2. I nearly purchased this volume about one of the G.O.A.T. guitarists (*): View attachment 1633620

View attachment 1633621

Ahhh...EWR; been there a few times, myself...:D

Those are great shots, Andy! And I really like the idea of a restaurant/bookshop. Really cool idea.

And I give up. The first thing I thought of when you referenced, "Slowhand" was the song by the Pointer Sisters. I was thinking that Clapton may have written the song, but I don't think that's correct. Sooo...no gold star for me... :confused:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
A shot of some of my cookbooks. The Dieter's one doesn't get much use... :ROFLMAO:

A photo of a photo book I made a few years ago for my niece when she graduated high school. They asked me to do her senior portraits, which I did with great trepidation, only agreeing because I knew if they didn't turn out we could have them redone. At least portraits aren't like a wedding where you get one shot and you better get it right. They turned out pretty good. My sister didn't see the need to have them redone at least.

Real Name
Ken St John
I'm afraid this is all I could come up with ... not very inventive!!

Ansel Adams and Josef Scaylea were both "mentors" of mine in my early days of learning about photography. Y'all probably know Adams, but may not recognize Scaylea's name. He was a long time photographer for the Seattle Times newspaper and had a weekly series called "My Northwest" that I enjoyed very much. And, Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series of books are my favorite series of novels (and a related TV series available on Netflix) ... and also shows that my definition of "book" includes a Kindle/iPad as my preferred reading media nowadays!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
A photo of a photo book I made a few years ago for my niece when she graduated high school. They asked me to do her senior portraits, which I did with great trepidation, only agreeing because I knew if they didn't turn out we could have them redone. At least portraits aren't like a wedding where you get one shot and you better get it right. They turned out pretty good. My sister didn't see the need to have them redone at least.

View attachment 1633631
You did just fine - what a beautiful young lady and a gorgeous photo!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'm afraid this is all I could come up with ... not very inventive!!
View attachment 1633636
Ansel Adams and Josef Scaylea were both "mentors" of mine in my early days of learning about photography. Y'all probably know Adams, but may not recognize Scaylea's name. He was a long time photographer for the Seattle Times newspaper and had a weekly series called "My Northwest" that I enjoyed very much. And, Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series of books are my favorite series of navels (and TV series) ... and also shows that my definition of "book" includes a Kindle/iPad as my preferred reading media nowadays!!

Cheers!!

Ken
No worries, you've managed to capture two forms of reading - actual physical books and an electronic version of a book. On top of that, you get points for showcasing Ansel Adams and Josef Scaylea. :D Well done, Ken, and I'm glad you joined us this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom