CS #647 - Stop It Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I did our daily walk on the Virginia Tech Campus today and I got a few small aperture photos to post.

1. War memorial
View attachment 1635876

2. Tunnel through a dormitory
View attachment 1635877
I've been reminded of two things in doing these photos: (a) diffraction definitely damages acuity ai f/22, and (b) I need to clean the sensor on this D7200. :(
Very nice, Jim. I already have two spots on the sensor of my Z6. I discovered them doing the stopped down shots. Too bad.

Thanks Terri. I had the E-M1 for years but recently my kid took it and I had to buy another camera. I was debating between the Mark II and the Z6. Finally, I can't justify investing another $5 to $10k on new Z lenses (. Also, since I have a D750 already, doesn't make sense to get another full frame as I love the size of m43 and the extra reach. So I decided on the Mark II.

Love to see what you can come back with with your new Z6. Don't try it on your energetic grand kids though or all you can see is just blur. :LOL:

Here is the one with 1s shutter. Had my tripod in the background, that's why I didn't post it earlier. Ended up I didn't need to use it. :D
View attachment 1635755

I can't get a sharp 1 second shot. This was the best that I got. Not bad for 1 second handheld, but not perfectly sharp either. But, the IBIS is very good. I focused on the thankful and blessed sign.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
I have had company and haven't had a chance to get out and find new subject matter. I did want to try out a Tokina 17-35 f4 lens that I own on my Z6. I seldom shoot super wide angle. This lens seems to do quite well on the Z6 so for now I will be using it for my wide angle shots. These have no distortion corrected. I just played around with stopped down shooting in my yard and in my house. Both were done on a tripod. Hopefully before the week is done I can do something more creative.

My husband started building a treehouse on the left willow tree right as his knees were at their worst before his knee replacement. He hasn't got back to it, but has a blue tarp covering the floor he put up there. I'm hoping he will give up on it and take it down. I think it is too high for the kids to go up there.....

View attachment 1635866View attachment 1635867
I'd say that 17-35 is doing quite well on your Z6. I like the perspective and the depth of field in the indoor shot.

Real Name
Andy
My wife and I did our daily walk on the Virginia Tech Campus today and I got a few small aperture photos to post.

1. War memorial
View attachment 1635876

2. Tunnel through a dormitory
View attachment 1635877
I've been reminded of two things in doing these photos: (a) diffraction definitely damages acuity at f/22, and (b) I need to clean the sensor on this D7200. :(
f/22! That's well into the diffraction danger zone on a crop sensor. Nevertheless, these are both very nice compositions. Great work.

Real Name
Andy
My son’s first outdoor meet of the season meant that the sprinters unknowingly volunteered to be subjects on which I could practice panning.

1. Still having trouble when the shutter speed is this slow (1/25")

2. A handful of keepers at 1/80"

3. Getting fairly consistent (but far from proficient) with shutter speed at 1/125"

Last edited:
The first outdoor meet of the season meant that the sprinters at my son's first outdoor track meet unknowingly volunteered to be subjects on which I could practice panning.

1. Still having trouble when the shutter speed is this slow (1/25")
View attachment 1635935

2. A handful of keepers at 1/80"
View attachment 1635936

3. Getting fairly consistent (but far from proficient) with shutter speed at 1/125"
View attachment 1635937
Like the first one - it's how I remember hurdling some 50-55 years ago. Time warp! And that last one is so funny--her hair makes her look fast!

Real Name
Ken St John
Since we're back to the "rainy season" my options for photography are limited, so I went with a bit of abstraction. Perhaps not as sharp as I'd like because of the shutter speed. But it does represent my world today ...

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Andy
Since we're back to the "rainy season" my options for photography are limited, so I went with a bit of abstraction. Perhaps not as sharp as I'd like because of the shutter speed. But it does represent my world today ...
View attachment 1635967
Cheers!!

Ken
That’s a very accurate representation of the Pacific Northwest in April. Nicely captured.

Real Name
Andy
Like the first one - it's how I remember hurdling some 50-55 years ago. Time warp! And that last one is so funny--her hair makes her look fast!
I have fond memories of attempting to master the hurdles, too. I was neither tall enough nor flexible enough to 3-step. It is somewhat easier to photograph the event than it is to compete in it, but certainly remains an enjoyable challenge.

I have fond memories of attempting to master the hurdles, too. I was neither tall enough nor flexible enough to 3-step. It is somewhat easier to photograph the event than it is to compete in it, but certainly remains an enjoyable challenge.
Yeah, the old 3-step---I found it hard to count, run and leap. Probably why I am, to this day, a lousy dancer too :cool:

Real Name
Andy
Another 24 hours remains in this collective shoot. I hope this theme hasn't been so far outside the normal boundaries that people feel disinclined to participate. Please jump in with your images. If you doubt that your offerings are good enough, just take a look at my attempts at panning shots and rest assured that the bar is set quite low! I look forward to your additions...

Sorry, I didn't really get an opportunity to participate, given the mad rush up to Maine for sever days for my daughter's baby, and now trying to catch up at work. I haven't been able to even keep up with this thread, let alone shoot, which I usually do during the weekends. :( It is enjoyable to see all the fine shots people have been submitting, though.

Another 24 hours remains in this collective shoot. I hope this theme hasn't been so far outside the normal boundaries that people feel disinclined to participate. Please jump in with your images. If you doubt that your offerings are good enough, just take a look at my attempts at panning shots and rest assured that the bar is set quite low! I look forward to your additions...
Thanks for hosting this week's CS Andy. Fun topic, well done (y).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom