CS #648 - In the kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrapping a damp paper towel around a room temperature bottle of wind and putting it in your home refrigerator freezer stuffed with other items and no circulation of air does not provide faster cooling.
It should have a small effect. It's the same thing you notice when you step out of the shower or a swimming pool. Energy is required to convert a liquid to a vapor and it pulls that energy from whatever it is attached to, thus cooling it.

Nope.

I'm gonna spare at least Nick and perhaps others the remainder of the guessing game. The device is a piece of hard plastic used to clean the "troughs" of a grill pan by scraping away stuck food. The teeth on the top edge are a perfect fit with my grill pan.

I placed black velvet behind the subject. A flashlight was slightly behind the subject on the left.

Must be true, It's on the internet.
Gotta love it: "In a home freezer—stuffed with three kinds of ice cream, half-filled ice trays, and a bunch of other mysterious foil-wrapped things—the wet towel wrapped around a bottle of wine will actually insulate it because the air is stagnant. Meaning that the towel-wrapped bottle will take even longer to cool than that regular ol’ dry bottle of wine in the freezer."

Please remind me to stick to your recommendations about how wine tastes rather than how to cool it. :ROFLMAO:

Be careful putting bottles in the freezer!!! One time many years ago my husband had a young employee helping him in his office and an hour or two before the end of the work day someone had brought in a six-pack of bottled beer, but it was warm, so the employee decided to speed things up a bit, ensure that the beer would be cold when people were ready to drink it, and stuck a couple of bottles in the freezer of the office refrigerator. Well......things got really busy the last part of the day and no one was thinking about the beer....until one of the bottles exploding reminded them! That employee had a mess to clean up.....

But in this case the energy is converting a liquid to ice, unless some of the liquid evaporates before it freezes. (Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about; just guessing.)
There would definitely be some evaporation initially which would help chill the wet paper towel more quickly, and then it would freeze. But in freezing, the remaining liquid would have to give up energy to something. It's complicated, but I'm sure the initial effect would be cooling.

I love these technical discussions. I'm going to follow the link now.

I once left an unopened bottle of wine in the car trunk a couple of days before I remembered I had put it there. The temperatures were freezing the entire time. The bottle didn't explode. That's because a wine bottle is not completely full; there is space for the wine to expand without breaking the bottle.

Gotta love it: "In a home freezer—stuffed with three kinds of ice cream, half-filled ice trays, and a bunch of other mysterious foil-wrapped things—the wet towel wrapped around a bottle of wine will actually insulate it because the air is stagnant. Meaning that the towel-wrapped bottle will take even longer to cool than that regular ol’ dry bottle of wine in the freezer."

Please remind me to stick to your recommendations about how wine tastes rather than how to cool it. :ROFLMAO:
My freezer is usually rather empty, which is why it works for me, and why I prefer a paper towel. Besides, science is all a bunch of theories and stuff :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom