CS #648 - In the kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Absolute BEST Way to Chill Wine

Must be true, It's on the internet.

In this case, I think it is mostly true. Two comments: (1)Nick's suggestion, as I understood it, was to wrap a single wet paper towel around the bottle. This would not be thick enough to provide significant insulation, as would the thick towel shown in the link, but will provide evaporative cooling; (b) horizontal vs. vertical is of no consequence unless the bottle is suspended. The Rayleigh Number effect depends on natural convection which would be inhibited by contact with a surface.

My method when faced with a white wine that needs rapid chilling is simply to put it in the freezer for about 10-12 minutes, then in the fridge. I think this protects the wine from extreme unequal temperatures while chilling fast enough for me.

You may have noticed wine chilling vats in grocery stores or wine shops. I've never asked, but I'm confident that they contain a chilled brine solution that is circulating, which produces forced convection...like the wind-chill effect in winter.

I don't see a lot of valid science in that article, and I certainly don't believe their claim that it cuts the chilling time in half.

I'm not really an expert on all this, but I did spend a significant portion of my career teaching thermodynamics and heat transfer. One thing I developed is a healthy skepticism about most scientific claims, especially those not found in peer-reviewed journals.

In this case, I think it is mostly true. Two comments: (1)Nick's suggestion, as I understood it, was to wrap a single wet paper towel around the bottle. This would not be thick enough to provide significant insulation, as would the thick towel shown in the link, but will provide evaporative cooling; (b) horizontal vs. vertical is of no consequence unless the bottle is suspended. The Rayleigh Number effect depends on natural convection which would be inhibited by contact with a surface.

My method when faced with a white wine that needs rapid chilling is simply to put it in the freezer for about 10-12 minutes, then in the fridge. I think this protects the wine from extreme unequal temperatures while chilling fast enough for me.

You may have noticed wine chilling vats in grocery stores or wine shops. I've never asked, but I'm confident that they contain a chilled brine solution that is circulating, which produces forced convection...like the wind-chill effect in winter.

We have a couple of those marble wine "chillers" that we keep in the freezer. It helps keep chilled wine cool once opened. The instructions said to fil it with a chilled brine, but that would be unbelievably messy, to say nothing of brine dripping into your food; and Burgundy style bottles don't leave much room for any brine! We probably use them less to keep chilled wine chilled, as we do helping reds not get too hot on a warm days while eating outside.
The paper towel method is clean and simple.
An hour in a fridge is usually enough to get most whites down to serving temperature.

I don't see a lot of valid science in that article, and I certainly don't believe their claim that it cuts the chilling time in half.

I'm not really an expert on all this, but I did spend a significant portion of my career teaching thermodynamics and heat transfer. One thing I developed is a healthy skepticism about most scientific claims, especially those not found in peer-reviewed journals.

Especially when it comes to wine!

Here I know if I run some water from our well (38°F summer or winter) it cools stuff. If I want to thaw something I put it on our granite counter, and it works like a heat sink, transferring the relative warm of the counter to what I'm thawing. I can still freeze stuff this time of the year by simply putting it outside, in the shade.

We have a couple of those marble wine "chillers" that we keep in the freezer.

We used to have a clay chiller that keeps wine at the serving temperature but we stopped using it for cosmetic reasons. It worked using the principle Jim explained: after soaking it in water, the water evaporating from the clay cooled the wine.

We don't have room in our freezer for anything other than food.

....And here we are, folks, an amazing vision of loveliness and serious meal preparation .....as tonight's frozen dinner is tucked into the microwave, ready to be zapped! :D This is a Stouffer's Chicken Marsala..... Actually, I thought I had a frozen burrito in the freezer and was going to use that for this photo (since that particular item had been brought up earlier in the thread) and tonight's meal but I guess I already ate that one...... Oops, the microwave is beeping at me, I have to go do something really important like peel back the film and stir the stuff in the container and then press buttons to have it cook for a while longer.....

Dinnertime!.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What? No sparks flying in your microwave, Connie! Heck, you're no fun! :ROFLMAO:

ROFL! For sparks and explosions we need Desmond! :)

(On the other hand, let's not blow up this microwave -- it is fairly new, replacing an older one which gave up the ghost a couple of months ago!).

Ah, for anyone wondering, I actually do eat a variety of foods, many freshly-prepared, and don't just live off whatever frozen dinners and the microwave can provide! :). Nice green salads often accompany these microwaved meals, along with a simple, but tasty dessert. However, yes, truly I really don't cook for myself all that much, and the microwave is truly an essential part of the household! Thank goodness for the "hot bar" and salad bars at Whole Foods and other places, and also for the abundance of good restaurants in this area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom