CS #651 - AUTO ISO for all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto ISO can be used in Manual mode, Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. Many if not most cameras being used today also allow you to set the minimum shutter speed as part of the Auto ISO configuration, which ensures that your shutter speed is fast enough for the situation. I always use Auto ISO when shooting handheld but never use it when using a tripod.

Real Name
Andy
Playing around with handholding a non-VR telephoto at different shutter speeds. Auto ISO is very handy for this. Not to mention the Z6 IBIS.

Both 100% center crops. Equalized the noise in post.
Auto ISO-12.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Auto ISO-13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did try manual and auto exposure for ice shows, but - as Andy noted - I found using aperture mode and auto ISO gave me better results. Spots and house lights are all over the place during shows, but with this procedure I can get 75-80% of the exposures correct (I just did 3 shows with 8,400 photos).

Real Name
Ken St John
Thanks to everyone who gave this a try ... obviously this subject is not very interesting to many folks ... which I totally get. I just thought it wold be an interesting thing to try.

Personally, I found great success using Auto ISO on sports and other fast moving subjects, but for 99% of my interests, having a fixed ISO remains my first choice.

Hope y'all come back for the next shoot!!

Ken

Coming in a bit late to say that I found this topic interesting..... Quite a few years ago in Alabama the wonderful Flew, one of the two founders of this site (bless his heart and RIP), taught me and a few others about using auto ISO, especially for shooting wildlife -- especially those flying birdies such as GBH and Egrets! -- and other moving subjects..... I've been using it ever since. It is indeed a valuable resource in any photographer's toolbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom